• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Savage Gets Into MSR Market -- Including 308ARs...

I just received an e-mail from Grand View Outdoors talking about Savage's new MSR line.

Upon checking it out, they have a Patrol rifle, a Recon rifle, and a Long Range rifle -- all in 5.56/.223 Rem.

They are also offering their MSR 10 Hunter. Yet another proprietary design, it seems...

http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/msr10hunter

2 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

Upper Receiver & Hand Guard look familiar , no Dust Cover ,but looks like it will take one .  Whats with the Gap at near the end of the Rail ? Adj.gas Block ? 

Upper looks like the DD 308 rifle, kinda...

DD 308.jpg

Watched the little teaser video they released. Dust cover looks poly (maybe Strike industries?)

No clear view of the side charger to see if its original or something already on the market. 

I didn't know Blackhawk made triggers, but considering the level of quality of the rest of the line I'd be suspicious. Strange since savage is known for its triggers they would outsource that important part.

MSRP is pretty high. Have to see street price but I don't think it's going do too well. 

2 hours ago, blue109 said:

Watched the little teaser video they released. Dust cover looks poly (maybe Strike industries?)

No clear view of the side charger to see if its original or something already on the market. 

I didn't know Blackhawk made triggers, but considering the level of quality of the rest of the line I'd be suspicious. Strange since savage is known for its triggers they would outsource that important part.

MSRP is pretty high. Have to see street price but I don't think it's going do too well. 

I thought the same thing about the trigger

I went through a phase where I was crazy about side charging handles. lets face it, it is a lot easier to charge the weapon with a side charging handle, especially when the weapon is up to your shoulder. then I realized, how often do I really charge my AR's? when I am deploying my weapon to be used it is good to go before it is even up to my shoulder and the target is in my sights, so really a side charging handle isn't needed. during a reload, bolt is already back so just have to insert new mag and push bolt release. as for malfunctions, yeah this could be good if you have a malfunction, but I have never even had a malfunction with my duty rifle and very rarely with any of the other rifles I have had.

so basically I just see the side charging handle is something that looks cool but is just another part that can break or malfunction. not to mention it is another area to collect dirt.

IMO, a side charging handle would be useful when shooting from a bench, i.e., long-distance shooting. In theory, it would allow you to charge the weapon and/or manipulate the charging handle without moving your head.

For 99.5% of us, though, there's really no sense in paying the extra for a side-charging setup.