• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Working on a new load.

Brandon

Most of the time, it's better to cross-reference multiple sources.  I use at least two different loading manuals when I start with a new cartridge.  I used 4 different sources to come up with my 45-70 load.

Edited by 98Z5V

27 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Most of the time, it's better to cross-reference multiple sources.  I use at least two different loading manuals when I start with a new cartridge.  I used 4 different sources to come up with my 45-70 load.

It was more sources than that.

3 hours ago, MikedaddyH said:

I have their red book.

^^^  9th Edition...  I'll pick up the new one quick.

They used to have their "new load data that's not in the current book" online.  And I didn't save the .338 Fed info when I had the chance. With the new release, that info isn't on the website anymore... Have to buy the book now...

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, bubbas4570 said:

Wow, and I rely on their 4th and 7th editions yet.....along with Lee, Hodgdon's, and a really old Speer #10....

Caveman, I tell you, caveman....

Be careful with that.

Not very often but often enough, the powder companies will reformulate a popular powder, invalidating previous data.  They redid Bullseye a few years ago (less than a decade...I think).

8 hours ago, planeflyer21 said:

Didn't they change that after a warning about using it in larger handgun magnums?

I have been using it in 44 mag for ever & heavy loads in my 45 Colt Blackhawks . The new Blue dot had a warning not to load it to the same charge weights of the older Powder like I have . Not sure about any other warnings , it does make a stout load , Dropped many Deer with it & a 200 gr. Speer ,44 mag. Bullet .