• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

25-45 Sharps anyone .

survivalshop

I just need a Barrel & reloading equip. , I just keep spending the $$ on operational crap for the house , like last week I did a side job & had to turn right around the next day & order a $ 400 Circuit Board for the Spa , yes even down here us old farts need our soothing Spa's . This week is a good deal ( & another $ 400 ) on a 1 1/2 ton, 14 Seer Heat Pump Condenser for my upstairs A/C system , can't pass the deal up , I have thirteen years on that smaller system & I'm pushing it down here .

He gave a good review of that Primary Arms scope . I emailed both Criterion & Faxon Arms to see if they will make a Barrel in 25-45 Sharps , if not , I get one from Sharps if they have any left . They show two different contour's for the 20" & I see the lighter one is not in stock now again .

I'l not be shooting anything at 800 , but maybe 500 yards, I'm working on that now .

Edited by survivalshop

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've been able to dig up, the 1:10 twist has been stabilizing heavier .257 projectiles in the .250-3000 Savage for years.  They didn't mess with a good thing.  It did a good job stabilizing that 87gr projo out to 800, and worked in the past on similar trajectories, so I'm okay with it.  :thumbup:

30 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

From what I've been able to dig up, the 1:10 twist has been stabilizing heavier .257 projectiles in the .250-3000 Savage for years.  They didn't mess with a good thing.  It did a good job stabilizing that 87gr projo out to 800, and worked in the past on similar trajectories, so I'm okay with it.  :thumbup:

The 1-9 rate , may be why some of the first or a lot of the reviews were showing less then 1 MOA for this round .

I also liked the use of the Drone in that 800 yard video , a great tool , I don't play enough with mine , but sure want to .

2 hours ago, survivalshop said:

I also liked the use of the Drone in that 800 yard video , a great tool , I don't play enough with mine , but sure want to .

Man, where you are, we should have drone footage of the awesome beaches!!!...   :hail:

Gun Pusher just called...

"Hey man, all your SHIIT came in.  A couple days ago..."

Me -"A COUPLE DAYS AGO?..."

Him - "Yeah, I was out of town.  People are looking at it, how much you want me to sell it for?..."

Me -"I'll see you first thing in the morning, how much do I owe you?"

Him -"I don't know, I didn't even add it up yet."

Me - "Alright, see you in the morning, I'm loading ammo tomorrow afternoon..."

Barrel ordered , going on my Multi cal. BRO Receiver set ( Norguard Upper ), which is complete except for Barrel & Hand Guard , I have a 12" HG , but want to cover the Gas Block on this Build , something I don't do , so the 12" will do till I get a 13" or 15" , not sure I want one too long , its not a race gun .:laffs:

Well, let's get this going.  Optic is a Millett DMS-1 in an American Defense mount, for now.  That will change.

18" midlength barrel with a 15" handguard.  Trying out a new trigger, and I really like it.  It's already been given a breakin workout in the trigger jig.  KE Arms DMR trigger.

P1050554.JPG

P1050555.JPG

P1050556.JPG

P1050558.JPG

P1050559.JPG

Working on brass right now.  Just dumped a whole gallon zip-lock bag into the tumbler, all once-fired PMC Bronze brass.  I've had good luck with the PMC Bronze brass in the past.  Ran the first 10 of them through the expander, then resized/deprimed.  I'll finish off the bag and get them all cleaned again.  Gonna load up 5ea on powder differences and run ladder tests this weekend.  They'll all get the Sierra GameKing 90gr HPBT and RL-7 powder, CCI 400 primers. 

Wanted to get that done today, and actually get out and shoot the ladders, but TactiCat got his a$s over the wall and went for a stroll.  I had to find him before he got someone's dog.  Spent quite the time hunting for him. Said fuk it, and put out food and water, and a first aid kit, and went back out to the reloading shed.  Opened the door, and he shot out of there, dirty as hell...  :lmao:

Edited by 98Z5V

4 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Can you have some Chronograph results  ?

You're gonna kick my a$s, but...

I don't have a chrono...  yet, anyway...  :bitchslap:

I've got a base reference of a verified chrono load, and I'm running ladders up from there, and doing the velocity calculations before I go out there. 

Using this program for the velocity calculations, based on the verified load:

http://shootersnotes.com/calculator/velocity-estimator/

Once I get the load the rifle likes, and the velocity that I like, I'm running JBM Ballistic Calculator to give me a good idea of the drop in mils, and I'll go out and verify it all through the scope.  Planning on this being a 400-yard hunting round. 

http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/calculators/calculators.shtml

My starting load is the 90 SGK over 21.5gr RL-7 @ 2640fps.

My ending load, pressures permitting, is 90 SGK over 23.2gr RL-7 @ 2826fps. 23.3gr RL-7 @ 2837fps.

I'll load in 0.2 or 0.3 gr increments and build 10 loads of five rounds, tonight.  Initial JBM calculations give me 3.4 mils 3.3 mils of drop at 450 yards on the 2826fps 2837fps load, and 4.0 mils of drop at 450 yards on the 2640fps load.  Whatever the rifle likes the best will get the final drop calculations, and scope verification.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

NOTE:  Run the .223 brass through the .25-cal expander die SLOW at first, until you get the feel for it!!!   I'm just sayin'... 

Once fired .223 ? if your using PMC , that is one of the heaviest brass .223 cases , the Russian brass was the heavy weight of those cases I weighed .Might be an issue if you are going for max. charge weight , as far as case volume .

I plan on Annealing the once fired LC brass I plan on using , will get some new LC brass or they sell 25-45 Sharps on their sight & some are reconditioned . We are doing the reconditioned , I still want to get some of their factory ammo for comparison reasons .

My reloading is a bit away , be good to see your range results . 

I shot for many many years with out a Chrono. , it is a very good tool that doesn't rely on math & makes things much quicker to dial in or confirm the math .It always comes down to what the Barrel likes .:thumbup:

8 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

the 25-45 looks a little tight in the mag, or is that just from the angle of the photo?

That's all angle...  That Lancer maxes out at 2.272" and I'm loading at 2.260".

2 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Once fired .223 ? if your using PMC , that is one of the heaviest brass .223 cases , the Russian brass was the heavy weight of those cases I weighed .Might be an issue if you are going for max. charge weight , as far as case volume .

Yeah, once-fired.  The expander takes a second to get the feel for.  Going up from .224" to .257", if you just run it like you're resizing and depriming a piece of brass, you'll split the case mouth if you're going too fast...  :embarrassed:

28 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:
9 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

the 25-45 looks a little tight in the mag, or is that just from the angle of the photo?

That's all angle...  That Lancer maxes out at 2.272" and I'm loading at 2.260".

Ok, what's the highest bc bullets you can load in the mags that you know of?