• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

25-45 Sharps anyone .

survivalshop

I generally like longer gas systems also... but some rounds are more finicky with them. have a good adjustable gas block and this should have reduce the problem. longer gas systems feel better, shorter ones just eat anything. but as long as you tune your gun to your loads, longer shouldn't be a problem.

the twist like you were talking about earlier might take a bit more research. would love to hear what you find out.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

Piston , rifle gas , I almost ordered a Barrel today . Still need to look into this  , seems SRC is the only one that makes or has them made , as far as I can tell . I'm sure any BBL> maker can make one in that Caliber , if they wanted .

My buddies over at X-caliber will make you one, any twist, gas system, length you want.......just don't ask about port size:laffs:

http://x-caliber.net.revlis.arvixevps.com/custom-ar-barrel

This is from a guy called 320 pf , on ARfcom. Bullet choice is very limited .

Quote "

During the development of this cartridge we ended up shortening the case to 1.70" (43mm) so we would have a wider range of Bullets to choose form. Because of the COL limits of the AR platform, the ogive (nose length) of the Bullet can only be 0.5" long, hence 25x45 Sharps will have a pretty limited choice of bullets because the case neck will ride up onto the ogive. All bulletswith a VLD type nose/tip (high BC bullets) have this problem the 25x45 Sharps. 

Some people suggest that you can trim the cases shorter as a work around. There are two problems with this however, this can cause poor accuracy and very high pressures in the rifle due to accumulation of metal jacket material that accumulates in the gap left between the case mouth and the lip the clearance of the case mouth. 

Here is a list of the lighter bullet with long ogives that will have problems with a 1.76" (45mm) long case. 

75g Hornady VMAX 

80g Barnes TTSX 

85g Nosler BT 

87g Speer TNT 

88g BIB (This bullet has a very high BC (0.42) for it's weight. 

90g Sierra. BlitzKing 

Edited by survivalshop

From what I've been reading, this cartridge was never designed as a long(er) distance round - just a hunting round.  Anything out there with a high BC is going to have a good taper to it.  There aren't many .25-caliber heavy projos that don't have a higher BC, and the taper that goes with it.  So, as a hunting round, with the lighter projos available, this still has some pretty impressive punch.

As someone stated in some of the .25-40 Sharps literature, it was specifically designed as a hunting round for states where .223/.22 centerfire ammo is disallowed for hunting.

I have it on good authority that, unlike Arizona, whitetails in other states are bigger than standard poodles.

1 hour ago, planeflyer21 said:

As someone stated in some of the .25-40 Sharps literature, it was specifically designed as a hunting round for states where .223/.22 centerfire ammo is disallowed for hunting.

I have it on good authority that, unlike Arizona, whitetails in other states are bigger than standard poodles.

Greg Hounds not Poodles... Guy at work got a 90 pounder last fall.

we don't have mule deer around here. but the county above mine has a heard of elk, not sure when they will let us hunt them, but up north there is elk hunting.

but I have had white tails so big that they didn't want to even go down with a well placed shot through both lungs. is the reason I don't hunt with .243 win anymore. then again, shoot them in the head and doesn't matter what caliber it is, they drop like a rock. haha.

I'll experiment with Hornady projectiles on this gun.  Looks like they have me covered.

http://www.hornady.com/store/searchammo.php?mode=search&main_cat=250&categoryid[]=259&categoryid[]=389&categoryid[]=&x=34&y=13

VERY interested in this one... The 117gr Interlock round nose...

http://www.hornady.com/store/25-Cal-.257-117-gr-RN/

2550%2025%20Cal%20.257%20117gr%20RN.jpg

Whilst perusing information on this setup, I stumbled upon a comment that is truly fucking hilarious...  :laffs::lmao:

" Sounds like a good deal. Have you checked with the boys at ARFCOM for dies? They are hot on the 25X45 over there. They think it is the Second Coming of Godzilla."

5 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Interesting opinion on the 25-45 cartridge - I like it.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=128011

Hard not to agree with that , though the 5.56 has worked for a long time , sure ,not the best for every thing , but neither is the 25-45 . 

The Hornady Bullets seem like they will work . I also looked at Nosler .

16 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Interesting opinion on the 25-45 cartridge - I like it.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=128011

"In my pipe dreams, the military adopts this as the "barrel-swap" alternative, then it becomes incredibly inexpensive to market, then we all have parties in the cheap 223 that floods the market, while still waiting with outstretched arms for the manufacturers to take up the 25-45 flag and churn out inexpensive, hard-hitting, flat-shooting, low-recoiling rounds.

Then I wake up and go to work."

:laffs:love that last line from him. that's basically my dream for all the unusual calibers I am interested in. Plus I liked the guy's name.

I'm still contemplating this Caliber , its just not the Barrel , its the Dies , Case gage , Bullets or a different Caliber & Powder , the rest is easy . I can get a Lee Die set for $ 30, a Case Gage for $ 38 , Bullets are no big deal & the brass is already in my stock , just needs to be formed , as with the 300BLK .

I have always been of thought  , that I want to keep all my firearms in calibers that are common, popular & have Milspec counter parts .  Handgun -9MM, 45acp , Rifles - 5.56, 308 & even 30'06 , the 300BLK was the first odd ball Caliber I built a rifle with & I do like it , actually I like it a lot . Not sure this 25-45 Sharps has the same appeal to me now that i have thought about it & researched it . 

Then again , it could be a better cartridge then the 300BLK for the AR , maybe not suppressed , but all around .

Just not there yet . 

2 hours ago, survivalshop said:

I'm still contemplating this Caliber , its just not the Barrel , its the Dies , Case gage , Bullets or a different Caliber & Powder , the rest is easy . I can get a Lee Die set for $ 30, a Case Gage for $ 38 , Bullets are no big deal & the brass is already in my stock , just needs to be formed , as with the 300BLK .

I have always been of thought  , that I want to keep all my firearms in calibers that are common, popular & have Milspec counter parts .  Handgun -9MM, 45acp , Rifles - 5.56, 308 & even 30'06 , the 300BLK was the first odd ball Caliber I built a rifle with & I do like it , actually I like it a lot . Not sure this 25-45 Sharps has the same appeal to me now that i have thought about it & researched it . 

Then again , it could be a better cartridge then the 300BLK for the AR , maybe not suppressed , but all around .

Just not there yet . 

I feel the same way except the .25 caliber is too close to the .27 caliber I am reloading in multiple cases. The .277 Wolverine gets done before the 25-45 Shàrps. All the links that I have read are selling me on this cartridge, its a winner. As easy as the .300BO and the .277Wolverine.