• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

25-45 Sharps anyone .

survivalshop

Not sure yet. I have some Barnes 100gr TSX that I'll try tonight.  The problem with the higher BC bullets is that the taper of the ogive goes so far back the bullet, before the .257" diameter on the shank starts- that would have them pretty far out of the case, and beyond mag-length. 

The solution for that is the 25-233, which trims the entire case length back to 43mm - take 2mm off the front.  That opens up the case to alot more projectiles.  It's a different chamber, though. There's 60-something pages on it all over at ARF, and there are definitely opinions...

Watching the vid of whacking steel on a first-round hit at 800 yards with factory 87gr ammo - I don't see a need for higher BC bullets, IMHO.

Edited by 98Z5V

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barrel has shipped  , I watched the $$ go from my account , but there was no transaction from my Account with SRC , so I called , not to check on the progress , but make sure it was ordered , I talked to " Vicki " , nice person , great help & quick info too , said it already shipped & will be here Monday & I ordered a Die set today .

I decided to just get the Hand Guard I want instead of using the 12" I have , same color , BLK , but an inch or so short from what I want for this " Hunting Rifle " I have the other parts in my cart .

Edited by survivalshop

So, I'm gettin' PRETTY ANTSY about shooting this thing Sunday morning, and checking all these loads...  Out of boredom, I pull out the first inert round I made, that I set the seating die from.  I measured it...  WTF?  I measured it again...  Ah, shiit.  I measured it AGAIN...  Fuk me.  It's 2.225"...  I pull out the three extras I made of the lowest charge - they're the sacrificial first 3 out of the gun.  Fuk.  2.225".  I pull the first row of 5 out of the box.  2.225".

SHORT.  ALL OF THEM.  Seated them short, and thought I was on.  I fukced something up when I made the inert round, and locked down the seating die.

Now, I'm going through them all, probably not tonight, and loading them in the smackin' hammer.  The bullet puller.  Stretching them back out to 2.260". 

Gonna be a long night tonight, and it probably won't finish until tomorrow...  :evil:

9 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

I don't know if I can hold out until Fall brother, better prepare for the return of the Eskimo.  :lmao:

Completely down with the Quarterly Visits.  In the summer, it's so damn hot, we can only do night shoots...   :thumbup:

Bring the Pain.  :banana:

Edited by 98Z5V

Ain't reloading fun ! :laffs::thumbup: 

It will be another week before I get the rest of the Reloading supplies ( Bullets, 87 gr.) & Rifle length gas tube , Hand Guard . I will be getting the Brass ready this weekend , I have some 308 to Anneal along with the 5.56 LC  brass.  I also have a lot of PMC .223 brass , once fired , I might use instead .

5 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Ain't reloading fun ! :laffs::thumbup: 

It will be another week before I get the rest of the Reloading supplies ( Bullets, 87 gr.) & Rifle length gas tube , Hand Guard . I will be getting the Brass ready this weekend , I have some 308 to Anneal along with the 5.56 LC  brass.  I also have a lot of PMC .223 brass , once fired , I might use instead .

What a hoot THAT was!!!   :lmao:  Finished them all last night, and ready for tomorrow morning.  For the first 5 or 6, I was using the bullet puller to stretch them back out to 2.260" OAL.  I went a little too far on one of them, and said, "Damnit, I'm gonna have to put this one back in the seating die..." , and the light went on. :banana:

I smacked the shiit out of the rest of them, over size,and ran them all through the seating die again - this time to the correct size...  They're all 2.260" now, and I'm itching to get out there and get the targets set up.

48 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

?

It just hit me.  I'm going to build another one of these .257 cal rifles.  Ares SCR lower with the Monte Carlo stock, 16" barrel, lightweight as I can get for the rest of the parts on the upper.  It clicked in my mind, so it has to be done.

EDIT  - Would be something along these lines right here- the full rifle pic isn't the MC stock, but that stock is the next pic down...

ares-defense-scr.jpg

Ares SCR MC stock.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

9 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

It just hit me.  I'm going to build another one of these .257 cal rifles.  Ares SCR lower with the Monte Carlo stock, 16" barrel, lightweight as I can get for the rest of the parts on the upper.  It clicked in my mind, so it has to be done.

EDIT  - Would be something along these lines right here- the full rifle pic isn't the MC stock, but that stock is the next pic down...

ares-defense-scr.jpg

Ares SCR MC stock.jpg

Hunting rifle ( or whatever ) for the Commie States of America . Interesting .

5 hours ago, MikedaddyH said:

Wanted to sneek out there today but my back is killing me since Friday. Have fun !

That woulda been cool, brother.  I got in there, did my business, and got out. :thumbup:

So, I slapped a 1~4 scope on there, but thought better of it before I took off, so I swiped a Bushnell 3~9 off another rifle and used it instead. 

I had 10 charge weights to shoot, and this scope came off another rifle and is not zero'd for this gun.  I put 11 targets out there.  10 for the charge weight differences, and one for a scope check - I loaded 3 extra rounds at the lowest charge weight, and those first 3 rounds out of the rifle went into that scope check target at 50 yards, just to see where I'm at.

It was 4" low and 4" right, I knew it would be more at 100 yards, so I appropriately held on the test targets to make sure the holes went into the correct target - didn't care where they landed, just that they landed on the correct target.

Here's the setup:

P1050571.JPG

P1050568.JPG

P1050569.JPG

Edited by 98Z5V

Here are the targets - Interesting to see how little difference there is in powder, and the differences at 100 yards.  Well, besides me straight fukking a few of them up.  This thing is finicky on charge weight differences.  You can see it coming into a node on Groups 6, 7, 8, and 9, then open back up on Group 10...

P1050576.JPG

P1050577.JPG

Edited by 98Z5V

Didn't have a single issue with primers, so I can go up on the charges a little more, and keep testing.  I don't think I need to, after I run the numbers on the 23.1 grain charge, though.  I'm probably keeping that charge weight for this projectile.

P1050575.JPG

P1050578.JPG

P1050579.JPG

Edited by 98Z5V

Muzzle velocities are calculated here, not measured.

#1)  90 SGK HPBT with 21.5 grains RL-7 = 2640 fps

#2)  90 SGK HPBT with 21.7 grains RL-7 = 2662 fps

#3)  90 SGK HPBT with 21.9 grains RL-7 = 2684 fps

#4)  90 SGK HPBT with 22.1 grains RL-7 = 2706 fps

#5)  90 SGK HPBT with 22.3 grains RL-7 = 2728 fps

#6)  90 SGK HPBT with 22.5 grains RL-7 = 2750 fps

#7)  90 SGK HPBT with 22.7 grains RL-7 = 2771 fps

#8)  90 SGK HPBT with 22.9 grains RL-7 = 2793 fps

#9)  90 SGK HPBT with 23.1 grains RL-7 = 2815 fps

#10) 90 SGK HPBT with 23.3 grains RL-7 = 2837 fps

Worked off a known velocity on the first charge weight, from someone developing their own loads, and using their own chronograph. At that charge weight, same projectile, COL, and 21.5 gr RL-7 powder, they verified 2640 fps through their chrono.  I used this program to calculate the other velocities, using that data as the reference point. 

http://shootersnotes.com/Velinfo.php

I'll be able to calculate this in reverse, and find my exact velocity, when I mil it out at distance. 

This is gonna work out great, at 23.1 grains of RL-7.  I want to hunt with this out to 400 yards, so I wanted less than 4 mils of drop out to 450 yards.  This load will give me that.  The accuracy is there, the speed is there, and the energy is definitely there.

Once I get it out to distance, and verify the mil drop at the different ranges, I'll know if the calculated velocity is correct - and if it's not, I'll be able to calculate the actual velocity based on the mil drop to exact distances...

Trajectory calculations done with this program:

http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/calculators/calculators.shtml

25-45 Trajectory, 23-1gr RL7 1.png

25-45 Trajectory, 23-1gr RL7 2.png

Ya , # 9  @ 23.i gr. ,got it together . I'm going to use a different Powder & an 87 gr. Bullet .

Mind your Brass ,Pressure rings , Primers can sometimes lie .

The 3x9x40 was what i was looking at for this cartridge , I'll be using a Burris E1 2x7x35 to test & see how that works out  first .

Edited by survivalshop