• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Feed Problem

HavasuMike

I finally finished my first 308 AR and finally got to shoot it.  It works great for the first two shots but the third always jams.  At least it is consistent.  I load the first by using the release lever and letting the rifle load it.  The second works fine, but then the third jams.  I'm sure some of you experts know what the problem is.  Help.

6 minutes ago, HavasuMike said:

I finally finished my first 308 AR and finally got to shoot it.  It works great for the first two shots but the third always jams.  At least it is consistent.  I load the first by using the release lever and letting the rifle load it.  The second works fine, but then the third jams.  I'm sure some of you experts know what the problem is.  Help.

Well , if you let me shoot it 3 times ... I will answer that question !!!! 

A few questions: What make rifle or parts, and what make magazine? How many rounds are you loading in the magazines? Full up or just a few? Have you switched out to another magazine and tried it? That will either indicate a faulty magazine or rule it out. How much have you lubed the bolt carrier group? Run it really wet the first 200 rounds or so. Is it an adjustable or fixed gas block? If adjustable, have you tried closing the setting a little bit? There are quite a few older threads on jamming problems you might want to take the time to read over to see if they might have an answer. interesting it cycles two fine then the third jams. What kind of jam? Is the spent case stove piping? Or is it not ejecting from the chamber? Pics would be helpful. The more you can tell us the better chance of figuring it out.

Here are some answers.  The barrel is a Faxon 20 inch heavy fluted.  The bcg is AIM.  The upper is DPMS.  The lower is Modulus 80 pct. The gas block is a fixed Faxon.  The magazine is a Magpul 10 round.  I loaded 6 rounds and kept it loaded at 6.  I will get another mag to try it out.  I did not lube the bcg much.  I will try lubing it real good.  The cases are ejecting properly.  The jam is from the third round not feeding.  I will try another mag with a lot of lube. If it still doesn't work, I'll get a picture of the jam.  Thanks for your suggestions.  Hopefully one of them will work.  I'll also check out the older threads.  It just seems weird to me that it is always the third round that jams.

Extractor and ejector issues are ruled out then. What type of ammo have you tried? There is an outside chance the BCG is not going back far enough to properly strip a round off the magazine. In that case it might be an alignment issue with the gas lock and barrel. Why not until the third round?  Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable guys will weigh in.

27 minutes ago, HavasuMike said:
  • My ejector is square.  If this is the problem, I can put seven rounds instead of six in the magazine (or some odd number) and then it would jam after the first round.  Does that sound logical? It would put the second round on the ejector side.

Mike take a picture of the top of the magazine being used. Then try a different magazine.

Good news.  I lubed it up real good and it worked fine.  Had 9 shots left in the box.  It went through all 9 with no problems.  Thanks for the help.  I'll still be getting more magazines.  Should I still round off the edge of the ejector just for reliability or not worry about it.  Can you buy them like that?  Great help guys.

4 hours ago, HavasuMike said:

Good news.  I lubed it up real good and it worked fine.  Had 9 shots left in the box.  It went through all 9 with no problems.  Thanks for the help.  I'll still be getting more magazines.  Should I still round off the edge of the ejector just for reliability or not worry about it.  Can you buy them like that?  Great help guys.

Wouldn't F with it if she's running, I was thinking lube the way you described the jam I got a 556 gun that did about the same, soaker her in some mobile one now she pew pew pews all day long

On 3/28/2017 at 7:06 PM, HavasuMike said:

Here are some answers.  The barrel is a Faxon 20 inch heavy fluted.  The bcg is AIM.  The upper is DPMS.  The lower is Modulus 80 pct. The gas block is a fixed Faxon.  The magazine is a Magpul 10 round.  I loaded 6 rounds and kept it loaded at 6.  I will get another mag to try it out.  I did not lube the bcg much.  I will try lubing it real good.  The cases are ejecting properly.  The jam is from the third round not feeding.  I will try another mag with a lot of lube. If it still doesn't work, I'll get a picture of the jam.  Thanks for your suggestions.  Hopefully one of them will work.  I'll also check out the older threads.  It just seems weird to me that it is always the third round that jams.

I'm interested in how that specific barrel performs. I might by one in the future. Any accuracy tests yet?

• 1 month later...

Haven't done any accuracy tests yet.  Been too busy lately.  New litter of puppies. Will try to remember when I get back to the range. Finally got the scope mounted where I can see out of it.  Went from medium rings to high rings to high rings with a half inch riser.