• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hornady 155, 168, 178 ELD Match

HotRod308

I've run the 178gr HPBT Match projectiles, and those things ROCK!!!  Very, very similar to the 178 ELDs, with the HPBT having a BC of 0.530.  I ran them in Hornady Match brass, CCI 200 primers and 41.4gr of RL-15 powder. Damn things were very accurate out to the max distance shot, and that was 660 yards. 

I'll stick with them for the distance ranges.  :thumbup:

4 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I've run the 178gr HPBT Match projectiles, and those things ROCK!!!  Very, very similar to the 178 ELDs, with the HPBT having a BC of 0.530.  I ran them in Hornady Match brass, CCI 200 primers and 41.4gr of RL-15 powder. Damn things were very accurate out to the max distance shot, and that was 660 yards. 

That's what you were running at distance in December? You were killing it!

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

But they were not specifically the ELD's , correct ? so he is still on the hook for a review .:laffs:

I haven't been worrying about this with the 178 HPBT Match projos, as they don't have a polymer tip. However, this is something to definitely consider for those that shoot other poly-tipped projos...

The hunting version of this same bullet...

What are they talking about in respect to " High Velocity " ?  2600 FPS  @ Muzzle ,is melting the Poly tip ?  Is the 30 cal. 178gr. Bullet flying at high Velocity ?  I find that informercial from them a bit deceiving .

Don't get me wrong , I like Poly tipped Bullets , I use a lot of them & Hornady is one of my favorite Bullet Manufacturers .

Just the speed of the bullet, as it cuts it's way through the air - it's the friction that's melting poly tips.

Gotta be bad near you, with that thicka$s humid ocean air all the time...  I don't have to worry about it so much out here...  :lmao:

My understanding of the "melting " issue was that it was only a problem at longer ranges. It wasn't as much a velocity issue as it was a build up of heat from friction that after longer flight time caused a deformation that made the BC numbers inaccurate. I agree the advertisements from Honady are a bit misleading, many of the gun rags have helped mislead people on this as well. 

5 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

My understanding of the "melting " issue was that it was only a problem at longer ranges. It wasn't as much a velocity issue as it was a build up of heat from friction that after longer flight time caused a deformation that made the BC numbers inaccurate. I agree the advertisements from Honady are a bit misleading, many of the gun rags have helped mislead people on this as well. 

5 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Just the speed of the bullet, as it cuts it's way through the air - it's the friction that's melting poly tips.

Gotta be bad near you, with that thicka$s humid ocean air all the time...  I don't have to worry about it so much out here...  :lmao:

I can see the long duration friction , but how do they know it is being deformed ? Because they changed their formula & didn't see the same results ? What if it was from the Poly Tips , loosening up & their new formula being harder & they are secured better in the Bullet , ether way they would have accomplished something at long range so it doesn't really does'nt matter , I guess . 

I agree with them about the Bullet tips on HP Bullets , in my measuring you can't seem to find any brand that are uniform , even SMK's . You can see they are not uniform , my best shooting bullets so far have all been Poly tipped , the Hornady Amax ,but Hornady was designing a long range Hunting Bullet & wanted the HP for expansion, covering the HP up with a Poly Tip makes sense for better BC . Why for a Match Bullet ? If they are adding a Poly tip to the Match Bullet , they are losing the HP design & its stabilizing benefits . 

Sierra has followed suit with a Poly tipped SMK's , so what is really going on here , why not just FMJ Match Bullets ? Are they saying now that the HP design is not adding any stabilization at long range ? Just seems strange to me how these Bullet manufacturers are shifting around & around .

Edited by survivalshop

Hornady theory would make sense . About 3-4 years ago I did a test of tipped bullets. I bought a box of every type on the market. Reds ones ,Green ones ,Black ones , White ones .... ( wait that's a song !)... Blue tips and Bronze tips ,Yellow tips. At the faster velocities the pattern opened up. Also the red tipped Hornady's and the Remington Bronze tipped where more accurate than the Noslers's. Had one box of Blue tip Barnes it was in the middle. The 125gr 30cal tipped bullets where not accurate when pushed out of the 300wsm. While the 150gr ,155gr and 168gr were very accurate with the 308.