• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS "High Rise," "High Top," "Target," etc. Dimensions

First and foremost: I know, I know. DPMS rail heights have been discussed ad nauseam here on multiple occasions. I know the difference between "High Profile" and "Low Profile" is approximately 1/16" (0.0625"). High Profile measures 3/16" (.1875") at the "tongue" above the charging handle, while a Low Profile measures 1/8" (.125") at the tongue.

See this thread:

But, after much searching, I have been unable to find a thread here that lists the height of a High Rise/High Top/Target upper. As I have an LR308T, with a HR/HT/T upper, this interests me. But I don't have calipers to accurately measure the "tongue" over the charging handle. Does anyone have a measurement they'd be willing to share?

I'm in the market for a new scope and rings and this information would be helpful for choosing rings.

Edited by COBrien

1 hour ago, survivalshop said:

Of course , that will depend on the Objective size on the Scope . Some 50 mm & above may need to go Med..

This. You dont need the specs to buy rings. Mock up where the scope feels natural, measure out how high above the receiver that is, and find some rings that match. Im guessing something in a med will work best but it will depend on your scope objective and your head placement. It helps if you already have the scope you plan on using but not necessary.

I was just looking for the specs to compare the setup I'm planning on running (see below) to the "spec" iron sight height for an AR-pattern rifle.

I'm going to be running the Leupold VX-HOG. Objective size is 1", ocular is 1.6". Probably in Warne medium rings. I'm obsessive about keeping my scopes as low as possible, so long as it's comfortable to run that way.

I learned a long time ago how to figure minimum ring height (at least for Warne rings, measured from rail surface to bottom of scope tube):

(Larger bell diameter - tube diameter) / 2

For this scope, that'd be:

(1.6 - 1) / 2 = 0.3"

Warne's medium rings measure .375" (3/8"), so that would be the minimum that would still allow the ocular bell to clear the rail.

18 minutes ago, COBrien said:

I'm going to be running the Leupold VX-HOG. Objective size is 1", ocular is 1.6". Probably in Warne medium rings. I'm obsessive about keeping my scopes as low as possible, so long as it's comfortable to run that way.

Gotcha..and im the same way. I like getting my scopes as close to iron sight height on ARs as I can. I just sold a set of med warnes. I have another set in the parts box but I think they are high. ill check tonight.

10 hours ago, 392heminut said:

Mine measures out at .530.

Excellent, thank you sir!

So, then, doing some math...

High Rise = .530"

Low Profile = .125" (I believe this is the mil-spec AR15 height)

So, the difference between those is .405".

AR15 iron sight spec height above rail is 1.41", best I can find online.

To stay at spec height, scope centerline should be at 1.41" above a standard AR15 rail.

So, 1.41" - .405" = 1.005" above DPMS High Rise rail.

Subtract one-half of scope tube diameter (in this case, .500"), and you get .505" from scope tube to DPMS High Rise rail to get to AR15 iron sight spec height.

All that to say: Warne High rings are what I need.

@blue109 Are your Warne rings QD? If so, I'd be interested in striking up a deal.

1 hour ago, COBrien said:

Excellent, thank you sir!

So, then, doing some math...

High Rise = .530"

Low Profile = .125" (I believe this is the mil-spec AR15 height)

So, the difference between those is .405".

AR15 iron sight spec height above rail is 1.41", best I can find online.

To stay at spec height, scope centerline should be at 1.41" above a standard AR15 rail.

So, 1.41" - .405" = 1.005" above DPMS High Rise rail.

Subtract one-half of scope tube diameter (in this case, .500"), and you get .505" from scope tube to DPMS High Rise rail to get to AR15 iron sight spec height.

All that to say: Warne High rings are what I need.

@blue109 Are your Warne rings QD? If so, I'd be interested in striking up a deal.

That sure is a lot of math , makes my head spin , just for a set of rings . :laffs:

Some Ring Manufacturers use Base to bottom of the Ring , some use Base to center of the ring for their measurements . Someones High may be a Med. to another . I like Warne , I use a bunch of them in both configurations , QD & Permanent.

20 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

That sure is a lot of math , makes my head spin , just for a set of rings . :laffs:

Some Ring Manufacturers use Base to bottom of the Ring , some use Base to center of the ring for their measurements . Someones High may be a Med. to another . I like Warne , I use a bunch of them in both configurations , QD & Permanent.

Yeah, I'm that guy who overthinks things in the interest making it "correct."

If you think that's good, you should see the amortization tables I've made for every loan I've ever gotten...

• 5 years later...
On 5/10/2017 at 12:46 PM, COBrien said:

First and foremost: I know, I know. DPMS rail heights have been discussed ad nauseam here on multiple occasions. I know the difference between "High Profile" and "Low Profile" is approximately 1/16" (0.0625"). High Profile measures 3/16" (.1875") at the "tongue" above the charging handle, while a Low Profile measures 1/8" (.125") at the tongue.

See this thread:

But, after much searching, I have been unable to find a thread here that lists the height of a High Rise/High Top/Target upper. As I have an LR308T, with a HR/HT/T upper, this interests me. But I don't have calipers to accurately measure the "tongue" over the charging handle. Does anyone have a measurement they'd be willing to share?

I'm in the market for a new scope and rings and this information would be helpful for choosing rings.

On 5/10/2017 at 12:46 PM, COBrien said:

See this thread:

Its .525 high, I used a quick mount and Vortex 5-25x50  I get flack for it sitting two inches aft the charge handle but with the prs stock i have perfect  eye relief so i'm not short what a move forward would do for me.

unnamed.jpg