• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PSA PA10 GEN 2 build, with parts list and cost

odie64

This will be a build list, cost and lessons learned post about building a PSA PA10 Gen II .308 AR  platform rifle. I started the build with the mindset that I could get a good quality upper , lower and barrel combo for a reasonable price, so I could splurge on better quality components and come away with a solid performing rifle. The core of the rifle is the PSA PA10 Gen II upper , lower and 14.7" barrel. I price shopped on the LPK and bought a DPMS LPK for $69.99 figuring I would save $30.00 over the PSA LPK, but we will get to that later. I will list the parts and then note where I could have saved some money is I went with some generic options over some of the components I selected to build this rifle.

PARTS LIST:

PSA Gen 2 PA10 .308 stripped lower                                                              $99.99

PSA AR10 14.7" mid length barrel                                                                   $99.99

PSA PA10 Gen2 complete upper                                                                   $149.99

PSA PA10 pivot pin                                                                                          $14.99

PSA PA10 .308 takedown pin                                                                          $16.95

Midwest Industries 308ss15 DLM  rail                                                            $209.95

ACE skeleton stock 9.9"                                                                                   $91.99

JP Enterprises silent capture recoil spring assy Gen @ AR-10, LR 308        $139.95

Vltor BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 Med CH                                                               $52.15

Troy Industries low profile gas block                                                                 $35.99

gas tube mid length                                                                                           $13.86

SilencerCo Specwar 762 Muzzle Brake                                                            $79.99

DPMS LPK .308                                                                                                $69.99

Plus 1 Armory Nickle Boron DPMS Spec .308 BCG                                      $179.99

Doublestar A2 Buffer Tube                                                                                $24.99

MagPul MOE RVG                                                                                            $26.99

MagPul K2 Grip Black                                                                                       $24.99

Vortex Optics Spitfire 3x Prism Scope w/ EBR-556B Reticle                         $314.10

TOTAL COST                                                                                               $1646.84

MINUS OPTICS AND ACCESSORIES   (MagPul   grip and RVG)              $1280.75

LESSONS LEARNED:

PSA has a lot of PSA specific parts, trying to save a buck or thirty has cost me more.

Everyone plays by their own rules, All the same yet different

A little more research and less impulse would go a long way

If they recommend to use only their parts, heed their advice

Patience is a virtue

ON THE CHEAP( going full budget build):

NO need to upgrade to MagPul grip and RVG all LPKs come with an A2 pistol grip

Convention buffer  and spring saves money

Rear stocks are cheap, did not need the ACE skeletonize rear stock

Charging handles are cheap

.308 muzzles devices are cheap can be had as cheap as $15.00 (had a .308 A2 style flash hider in a parts box)

There is a large variety of front rail systems did not need to spend over $200.00 on a free float rail

generic rail                      $24.21

.308 recoil spring              $5.99

.308 buffer                        $5.25

AR 3 prong Flash hider    $9.90

PSA lpk                          $99.99

TOTAL PARTS             $145.34

UPGRADE PARTS       $630.96

BUILD MINUS OPTICS    AND MAGPUL PARTS  $1280.75

MINUS UPGRADE PARTS                                       $630.96

TOTAL                                                                       $649.79

PLUS BUDGET PARTS                                            $145.34

TOTAL BUDGET BUILD                                           $795.13 

Keen observers will note the pivot and takedown pins are incorrect. I hope to have it at the range this weekend but I have a bolt catch issue and need to get the Muzzle brake pinned and welded.

I know this was long but hopeful it was informative and will help someone avoid the mistakes I made.

odie64

PA6.png

PA3.png

PA5.png

PA4.png

PA2.png

PA1.jpg

PA7.png

PA8.png

PA9.png

• 5 weeks later...

Here's a little update on my PSA PA10 build. I ran into a little teething problems. I was getting "stovepipe" type jams  with the spent brass hanging out of the ejection port still hooked into the extractor and bolt. So I went to a local gun shop in search of an AR15 extractor spring to replace the stock AR10 spring. He says he has one goes to replace it and comes back out with two small rubber O-rings, telling my  I did not need this and will see how it runs with the AR10 spring only. next trip the range I am getting failure to extract/eject and double feed of a fresh round behind the spent brass still  in the chamber. Round three I try just the AR15 extractor spring and I now have converted my PA10 into a single shot rifle with every round not extracting or ejecting.  Once again with the failure to extract/eject. I go home an install one of the O-rings and carry the other O-ring with me back to the range. I still have a single shot PA10. I remove the bolt install the other O-ring keeping the AR15 extractor spring in place with no meaningful improvement in function. This has me thinking the only combination I haven't tried yet is the original AR10 extractor spring with only one O-ring installed. So  tonight I go back to the range wit the original AR10 extractor spring an only one O-ring installed. I had 85 rounds of mixed ammo from some South African 7.62x51 NATO Ball military surplus and Sellior and Bellot .308 147 grain ball. I had four or five double feeds in the first 15 rounds the remaining 70 rounds ran flawlessly. I am thinking the rifle is starting bed in and function better. I will keep the current setup on one O-ring and the AR10 extractor spring until it starts to show a continue failure rate. Still happy with the gun and with anything you build from a random selection of parts, you are bound to have some issues to iron out.

AR 10 Extractor spring system is with just the spring & one O-ring , I believe . If the BCG doesn't have a spring loaded firing pin , its aDPMS type BCG .

DPMS has a two Spring set up with a small dia. spring inside a larger one & no o-ring . Their new system has an Elastomer spring ( some kind of rubber ) no steel spring or o-ring . people say they work good , it only comes as a kit , Extractor & elastomer spring . Its what they use in their new GII 308AR , kit is made for the LR series 308AR's .

Edited by survivalshop

Od    you got more than extractor problems prolly....  you got to do the one round in the mag and see if it locks back

You may have gas probs...the buffer system probs....and new gun blues

Focusing on the extractor  maybe  maybe not         :fullauto:  Wash

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Boot_Scraper said:

@odie64

Did you e ever get things ironed out? I'm having the same issues you mentioned. Thanks! 

Still up in the AiR( sorry couldn't help myself) I am running the extractor spring that came with my 308 BCG and only one O-ring.  It was running pretty good on slow and rapid fire, but I am not 100% confident at this time. I may be ordering the DPMS extractor spring kit an try that if my problem continues. If that doesn't cure my issues it may be above my paygrade and I will need to consult a professional. I just completed my .458 SOCOM build and it has tapped my ammo resources for the moment. I will be stocking up soon and will report my  progress, or lack of it on my next range visit.

15 minutes ago, odie64 said:

Still up in the AiR( sorry couldn't help myself) I am running the extractor spring that came with my 308 BCG and only one O-ring.  It was running pretty good on slow and rapid fire, but I am not 100% confident at this time. I may be ordering the DPMS extractor spring kit an try that if my problem continues. If that doesn't cure my issues it may be above my paygrade and I will need to consult a professional. I just completed my .458 SOCOM build and it has tapped my ammo resources for the moment. I will be stocking up soon and will report my  progress, or lack of it on my next range visit.

You may need one O-ring , testing will tell , but I have three 308AR's with just the two springs that work fine . Two of them have a couple thousand rounds through them .

I've heard good things about the conversion kit for DPMS LR 308 to the GII Extractor & Elastomer Spring . 

41 minutes ago, odie64 said:

Thanks for the reply sir. Looking forward to the update. 

Edited by Boot_Scraper

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Dexterity said:

I know this is really old but I'm looking at putting the same low mass jp bcg into my gen 2 pa10 and wanted to know if you ever got the gun running just right and if so what the issue/s were. thanks.

Only thing I saw JP  was the recoil spring set up. Not the low mass bcg

1 hour ago, Dexterity said:

I know this is really old but I'm looking at putting the same low mass jp bcg into my gen 2 pa10 and wanted to know if you ever got the gun running just right and if so what the issue/s were. thanks.

Change over the entire recoil system and gas system to the JP parts, if that's what you're gonna do. You can't just do "some race gun parts" here and there, and expect it to function...

On 8/31/2019 at 11:17 PM, 98Z5V said:

Change over the entire recoil system and gas system to the JP parts, if that's what you're gonna do. You can't just do "some race gun parts" here and there, and expect it to function...

Oh thats a given haha I searched for the jp bcg and this came up so I just assumed it was included in the build. I just specifically wanted a real review of the bcg itself to check fitment and reliability within a PSA upper.