• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Mag pouch dilemma

I recently started building a new "active shooter" rig for my patrol gear. In my haste I must've had .308 on the brain, and I ordered large mag pouches instead of the necessary AR15 size  IMG_4693.JPGIMG_4692.JPG

now that I have them, I really like the idea of having a .308 rig... although it'll never likely be used on duty. 

So here's my options... (I need two pouches)

1. Spend the money and just buy the correct AR15 pouches. $28 ea.

2. Use kydex inserts ($7-$15 ea) to hold the smaller mags inside the larger pouch. Esstac and Haley Strategic. Maybe even fix a short bungee style pouch inside?

3. Half tempted to sacrifice a LR-10 mag body and use it as an insert. Remove the guts, grind the inside smooth and maybe split the spine. An AR15 mag "almost" fits inside the LR PMAG, and I'd only be out of pocket $15-$18.... just have to get over the idea of destroying a perfectly good magazine. 

2 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Looks like they fit a Safariland drop leg?

I've got the little brother on a rig but didn't realize they even had them for the 308 AR.

They will fit the leg shroud. I have the ELS plates on my duty belt so I can QD the rifle mags when needed. My drop leg shroud has my holster, CAT and a 26" baton. 

18 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

They will fit the leg shroud. I have the ELS plates on my duty belt so I can QD the rifle mags when needed. My drop leg shroud has my holster, CAT and a 26" baton. 

Been looking at a belt update. Would you go with that ELS system over others?

The 9-5 job issues us pretty basic safariland belts, but all we carry is holster, mags and a radio.  Id like something better for my other job since requirements change depending on the gig. Sometimes its minimal. Next week ill have the whole catalog on there..gun/mags/taser/cuffs/oc/baton/radio. Tearing the belt apart all the time is a pain. Theres no uniform policy for that job so im looking for modularity but dont want to go broke on some boutique brand stuff.