• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

BCG lite?

I found somewhere in my junk a new BCG for .308 that has NO bullet assist notches. I realize this is not unheard of but,

I'm also trying to find out how good this BCG is or what brand it is to see if its high enough quality to use for a build for just a extra gun to have around.

Does the fact that it has no  notches suggest that its a lite weight or economy BCG? I've never personally seen an upper 308 without a bullet assist so I'm puzzled by this.

Again, any way to determine brand or quality also of this BCG?

6 hours ago, edgecrusher said:

1. Not FA cuts is typical for .308 BCG’s. 

2. Pictures or markings? You’re not giving many details and I don’t own Taro cards.....

so your saying this is not unusual, hum. Is that because the bullet assist feature is basically a carry over from the older AR-15 platform from the early days and even few people use the feature even on a 15 and thus you see it even less on the 308 due to the cartridge not needing it or?

I've often wondered about this but was not sure, I guess even with that Im a bit surprised that its common because if its available on the upper, why not take advantage of it?

As far as specifics on thew BCG, let me see if I can take some pics or something, there are no names or anything on it.

1 hour ago, xxlfitness@yahoo.com said:

so your saying this is not unusual, hum. Is that because the bullet assist feature is basically a carry over from the older AR-15 platform from the early days and even few people use the feature even on a 15 and thus you see it even less on the 308 due to the cartridge not needing it or?

I've often wondered about this but was not sure, I guess even with that Im a bit surprised that its common because if its available on the upper, why not take advantage of it?

As far as specifics on thew BCG, let me see if I can take some pics or something, there are no names or anything on it.

You can use a Forward Assist with a non-serrated bolt carrier, no problem. It's quite simply not needed as often because there's much more mass to this type of AR, and failure of the bolt to return to battery is worthy of investigation rather than forcing chambering.

^^^^^as Matt.Cross said, if it won't chamber, figure out why, here is an explanation of the recent DPMS type F/A evolution:

There are 2 common forward assist styles on DPMS type 308 uppers the first that was the most common up until a couple of years ago has the forward assist button in the same protrusion as the brass deflector and does not require serrations or notches on the side of the bolt carrier - the pawl engages on a single step on the side of the bolt carrier. Recently uppers have the forward assist button further to the rear, at a shallower angle (similar to an AR15)and require the serrations or notches on the bolt carrier to function.The newer style (serrated side) bolt carrier will work with either style upper but, I suspect the newer style AR15 type F/A position probably won't engage on an older (non-serrated) bolt carrier.

Edited by guruofhotrod

5 hours ago, xxlfitness@yahoo.com said:

Is that because the bullet assist feature is basically a carry over from the older AR-15 platform

AR.308 was first.

4 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

worthy of investigation rather than forcing chambering.

3 hours ago, guruofhotrod said:

^^^^^as Matt.Cross said, if it won't chamber, figure out why, here is an explanation of the recent DPMS type F/A evolution:

There are 2 common forward assist styles on DPMS type 308 uppers the first that was the most common up until a couple of years ago has the forward assist button in the same protrusion as the brass deflector and does not require serrations or notches on the side of the bolt carrier - the pawl engages on a single step on the side of the bolt carrier. Recently uppers have the forward assist button further to the rear, at a shallower angle (similar to an AR15)and require the serrations or notches on the bolt carrier to function.The newer style (serrated side) bolt carrier will work with either style upper but, I suspect the newer style AR15 type F/A position probably won't engage on an older (non-serrated) bolt carrier.

word.. that was my point. i dont use fa at all.. the 458 is just the button for looks same as my 2 300blks and x39s 

i think if slick sides were prominant there would be no extra buttons to push. liberals wiil try

20 minutes ago, 392heminut said:

But the original AR-10s didn't have a forward assist, that started with the M-16.

but we wont tell them that untill they try to take it..