• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

WTB AR10 complete BCG for Sudanese or Portugese

jegcdn

Hello everyone.

I'm new here but have in my collection a couple of original AR10's, one Portugese and one Sudanese.  I also have spare parts that equal about 80% of another complete gun.  So, I am searching for a complete BCG.  Yes, I know it is a long shot, but, it's worth a shot ;)  

Have been shooting and collecting original AR10's since picking my first one up in the early '80's.

Hit the intro section and make a post- and stick around!  Show off these beauties, man!  Don't know of any genuine AR-10 BCGs for sale right now, but would a current-production still be workable and legit in these?

Welcome! Do stick around. As an Armalite fan I would love to see some pics of them. Even though it is a different company now, you might check with Armalite if you haven’t already, to see if they purchased the original engineering drawings of the original AR10 when they purchased the name. It would be pricey, but a machine shop could manufacture or modify something if you can’t find anything original, if you can get the specs. My understanding is that the Netherlands Armory destroyed everything when they discontinued production. Let us know if you are successful. A neat little article, but I am guessing you know all this already.

http://weaponsman.com/?p=3388

Edited by Sisco

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Yes, I've checked with Armalite, which is actually about the third rendition of the company since the 50's.  According to the guy I spoke with there they do not even use the same bolt face spacing on the lugs.  Have chatted with people in Europe and nothing in the way of parts there either, so far.

I will get around to an intro and pics once things slow down here a bit.  I own a gunsmithing shop and am in the height of "post hunting season" repairs.  

I am attempting contact with Portugal and Sudan to see if they may have anything in the way of parts still laying around in a warehouse somewhere.  If so I would look at picking up whatever they might have, obviously.  From what I have been able to determine so far is the original Knight SR25 is the best possibility for a bolt other than the original.  As it was made when Gene Stoner worked with Reed Knight, it was supposedly (from the limited info I've been able to gather) internally nearly identical to the original.  I know it utilized the same magazine as well.  But I have not been able to get any definitive info out of Knight as they appear uninterested in anyone who is not a military purchaser.

Anyway, will see what can be found and if something might come up here.

All the best guys!

Absolutely there is less kick. 

Even though the rifle is light, the weight of the BCG combined with the gas system capacity and the buffer spring recoil is very manageable in both semi and FA fire.  The Portugese had an adjustable gas valve in the front sight as you may know.  I like the fluted barrel of the Sudanese, way ahead of it's time.  As you may know the front barrel shroud was not installed on all of these units (with the bayonet lug on it).

Anyways, yes, recoil is very manageable!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2019 at 3:08 PM, ARTrooper said:

hate to say it, but you might be better off looking for specs for the original bcgs and having a machinist custom make one. would be costly but you might not have any other option. otherwise finding another old ar10 that has a bcg in it, even if the rest of the rifle doesn't work.

Most of them are long ago rusted away or buried in Sudan or Namibia(formerly Angola)

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Saw this older thread and spurred some articles I barely remember...you may be able to contract this first guy on the GunLab site as he was?is 3D cad and making lower s from original design drawings and MIGHT have the specs you need. Probably a long shot but ya never know...  http://gunlab.net/ar-10-sudanese-contract/