• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ice fishing

shepp

went up to my neck in chest waters with a duck in one hand and a benellie in the other.. luckly i tossed the duck. pushed off the bottom with the shotgun so only one leg filled up due to the waterproof jacket.. i shivered it out for another 2 hours but temp was in the 30's! ice would be a trip!  Be on your toes out there shepp!

18 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

Thought you tied off the waist  so waders so it wouldn't do a quick fill ?

No way to get a decent seal when wearing all the winter gear. My main purpose for wearing them was scent masking, they blocked my scent and I would put beaver castor or mink scent on the soles. Of course they were supposed to always remain in the detached garage, not a pleasurable aroma to be dragging into the house. 

3 hours ago, sketch said:

went up to my neck in chest waters with a duck in one hand and a benellie in the other.. luckly i tossed the duck. pushed off the bottom with the shotgun so only one leg filled up due to the waterproof jacket.. i shivered it out for another 2 hours but temp was in the 30's! ice would be a trip!  Be on your toes out there shepp!

Ive been thru the ice a couple of times when I was a kid....the small ponds across the street were my hangout from the 3rd grade until college age....every so ofton in the winter those ponds would freeze over....and theres some kind of voodoo that would call me out on the ice....to fall thru....its a butt pinching death defying thing....only those that have experienced it and lived to tell the story really know what its like....Way to go Sketch you saved your life by your quick thinking.....gets your heart pumping don't it?    :thumbup:   Wash

my hunting budy shot the damn ducks and made me wade for them. i paid him back a few years later by shooting over his head .. my bad! duck landed feet in front of him.  Ive been back there several times in slow methotical foot steps.. shits changes over time though? 

On 1/21/2018 at 8:36 PM, washguy said:

Ive been thru the ice a couple of times when I was a kid....the small ponds across the street were my hangout from the 3rd grade until college age....every so ofton in the winter those ponds would freeze over....and theres some kind of voodoo that would call me out on the ice....to fall thru....its a butt pinching death defying thing....only those that have experienced it and lived to tell the story really know what its like....Way to go Sketch you saved your life by your quick thinking.....gets your heart pumping don't it?    :thumbup:   Wash

I did the same ice thing up in Wichita county Texas when I was a kid. Not many times does the ponds freeze hard enough to skate on up there, or here.

1 hour ago, mrmackc said:

I did the same ice thing up in Wichita county Texas when I was a kid. Not many times does the ponds freeze hard enough to skate on up there, or here.

Were you by yourself like I was? its amazing how your fingernails can claw into the ice to pull yourself out....lol    of course I didn't weigh crap even with a jacket.....Whew that will get ya going...one time...well that's a mistake...the second time  a year or two later thats being stoooopid:laffs:    Wash

On 1/21/2018 at 8:36 PM, washguy said:

Yes, exactly as I remember and I think I probably was 20 or so years ahead of you young whipper-snappers!  My kids did the same stuff in their time, one of my sons rode his sister's 20" Banana seat out in the middle of a pond and walked home to get his brother and a rope to retrieve the yellow bike.

• 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:18 PM, mrmackc said:

Yes, exactly as I remember and I think I probably was 20 or so years ahead of you young whipper-snappers!  My kids did the same stuff in their time, one of my sons rode his sister's 20" Banana seat out in the middle of a pond and walked home to get his brother and a rope to retrieve the yellow bike.

I have lost two friends through the ice in the last five years. And almost lost my neighbor. All experienced outdoorsmen and ice fishermen. Same thing in all three cases. Familiarity breeds over confidence. You have your float coat and picks of life, but you leave them in your Clam and check out another spot on your snowmobile. Or you take a short cut in your SUV too near the underwater spring and don't notice the red flags. Or you go out on six inches of porous popcorn ice the last weekend of March. It is nothing to fool with, especially on big lakes with currents.