• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ice fishing

shepp

BROTHER!!!   I saw that first pic!!!  Only thing that went through my mind was, "Shepp shaved, and lost ALOT of weight!!!"  I was thinking "WTF happened, does my brother have a disease or something?!!? "

Then I scrolled down one more pic and saw you...   :laffs::lmao::bitchslap:

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

Did you volunteer to be the guy sticking his hands in the water all the time or lose a bet?:laffs: Looks like a great time on the ice for sure!

That was the guide, kyle. I was behind the camera in all but the second clip was the fish I reeled in. 

Im big but not as big as Kyle, he’s got a good 3-4” and 50-75# on me. This is somthing my friend matt and I have tried in the past but not have done really good. I found kyle this summer on IG and started following him. His rates were very reasonable, I would totally go with him again. He does summer charters too bigboyfishing on Instagram and Facebook

7 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

That is pretty reasonable for a whole day like that. No gear to pack sounds great. What's the rules on keeping fish, will he clean them for you? I do love fish when you get to eat it the same day but can't fillet to save my soul.

He might we took ours home. The browns are ok not great I choose to put them back because the dnr quit stoking them and they don’t taste as good. Stealhead are open game tho lol. But I think it’s five fish per person 

A week ago we had (the 12th) we had 50* temps and rain. I went out fishing careful for old holes (the water toliet bowl and open up from 8” to a lot bigger). I was carful for them crossed a seem in the ice fished and the temp dropped to 21* by 830. Following day I caught those trout, it was cold as fuck. 

That night a co worker and family friend asked me if I was going to my Shack I said nah to cold and tired. He headed to his Shack on the other side of the lake about 9-930. There’s a seem over there too. But it opened up and he went in on his quad (lake is 5.5-6.5’ deep). Fought for 20 min and got out started walking towards shore towards some condos no lights phone was dead from the water. Ended up falling in again figures he was in the water 40 min total. Very lucky to be alive, lucky to have all his fingers and toes. Said his body temp was 90* when they got him to the hospital.

Ive always told people if you don’t know the lake or where your going stay off it (he knows it well) so do I but it just about bit me a few weeks back.... 

D3A95A02-FE62-4B14-91C2-6C30FEF19D65.jpeg

78AECB46-797D-4900-B2C0-17798038AB36.jpeg

B59FE656-9FD1-48CA-8FDF-33EF5D7E3F59.jpeg

As a kid I went through the ice while checking traps. Had some sticks with corn and traps in muskrat holes, as I chopped around the stick to pull it up the ice gave out and in I went. Water filled my hip waders but I was able to crawl out. Had a three mile ride on my moped to get home, lucky it was a balmy 19 degree morning. I was shaking so bad when I got there I could barely get my gear off. As I was warming up in the bathtub mom was yelling at me for leaving such a mess on the porch. Didn't tell her what had happened for years, afraid she wouldn't want to let me run traps anymore! I stopped using those kind of sets and stuck to where I knew the water was shallow after that. Dangerous game going out on the ice in any conditions.

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

As a kid I went through the ice while checking traps. Had some sticks with corn and traps in muskrat holes, as I chopped around the stick to pull it up the ice gave out and in I went. Water filled my hip waders but I was able to crawl out. Had a three mile ride on my moped to get home, lucky it was a balmy 19 degree morning. I was shaking so bad when I got there I could barely get my gear off. As I was warming up in the bathtub mom was yelling at me for leaving such a mess on the porch. Didn't tell her what had happened for years, afraid she wouldn't want to let me run traps anymore! I stopped using those kind of sets and stuck to where I knew the water was shallow after that. Dangerous game going out on the ice in any conditions.

Yes it is!

this lake is actually a flooded marsh with a river channel damed up a few miles down (10,000 acre mud flat). the old marsh land (now lake) is riddled with springs being shallow most normally go thru hitting a spring. 

1 hour ago, unforgiven said:

Scary $hit right there...and you get fine for polluting the lake.At least he's alive.:thumbup:

I tried ice fishing here on Wolf lake. Not a fan, good thing your young brother Neal. Today another unseasonably day upper 40"s.

A few days of 40-50 is ok there’s 14-18” of ice, ive ice fished on 55* days. The big problem is rain and warm weather it’ll eat the shit outta the ice.

ive got a 1967 travel trailer with a wood burner in it, we’ve had it well into the triple digits in there. I don’t usually fish with out it unless it’s nice out.