• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

How important is gas length in a 308?

Tuflehundon

I know in AR15's the longer gas systems make the gun shoot softer when tuned. We tune the crap out of our 3gun rifles. How much of a difference does it make in a 308 rifle? 

I ask because a guy is selling a Faxon 308 18" mid length heavy barrel with a fairly low round count. (under 1000) The cost is under 1/2 of new. 

If I buy new, I'd get the 20" heavy fluted Faxon
http://faxonfirearms.com/match-series-18-heavy-fluted-308-win-5r-416r-nitride-nickel-teflon-extension/

Or the Criteron M110 20" heavy barrel

http://www.fulton-armory.com/barrelfatitan20nmm110ss1x12875gasblockthreaded.aspx

The used barrel is listed at $100 shipped

Before the adjustable GB’s came out,  I was a huge advocate of “the longest gas system that can fit on a barrel”. A midlength gas on a 12.5” to 14.5” has been done successfully by several companies. The .308 has a LOT of gas. There’s no reason at all why it shouldn’t work. When I designed my CF wrapped barrel, I argued with Proof Research about whether or not it’d work. Seven years later, plinking Mil surplus to high grade match... never a hiccup. I still have never put a drop of oil on it!!!

Understanding weight enertia, and expansion and control of gas, makes the machine run properly. You might have to bore out the gas port to about .100 to .110... no worries though. The GB usually has a .125 hole inside. 

I have two 16” rifle length barrels (on piston systems) and one 17” rifle length (on a DI system). The 16’s are at .110 and the 17 is at .099 

I have not used a adj GB yet. It seems more like a fix for people who buy off the shelf rifles, and are upset with stock performance. I believe an adj GB could further dial in a well built rifle, but at the sacrifice of being VERY ammo specific. 

If I were competing in +1k long range competition, then I might consider it for the added benefit. 

Seems they have answered you question .

I personally will not build a 308AR with out a Rifle gas system & I have never used an Adj. GB ( disclaimer < I have an AR 15 build with a Superlative Arms Piston system & I didn't have a choice thats its adjustable, its the way it came & I wanted to try a Piston system & I really like it , the whole rifle  :laffs:)

Edited by survivalshop

13 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Seems they have answered you question .

I personally will not build a 308AR with out a Rifle gas system & I have never used an Adj. GB ( disclaimer < I have an AR 15 build with a Superlative Arms Piston system & I didn't have a choice thats its adjustable, its the way it came & I wanted to try a Piston system & I really like it , the whole rifle  :laffs:)

My 3gun AR is an Adams Arms piston gun. Low mass operating system, adj GB, adj JP silent captured spring, the works. But it's a race gun tuned specifically for my ammo. I want this to be a hunting rifle and range toy. Don't want to tune it as much. 

On 1/24/2018 at 8:52 AM, Tuflehundon said:

My 3gun AR is an Adams Arms piston gun. Low mass operating system, adj GB, adj JP silent captured spring, the works. But it's a race gun tuned specifically for my ammo. I want this to be a hunting rifle and range toy. Don't want to tune it as much. 

Do you think you will need to tune a Rifle length Gas system ? 

Edited by survivalshop

16 hours ago, survivalshop said:

I personally will not build a 308AR with out a Rifle gas system & I have never used an Adj. GB

Other than rifle-length gas systems do work. My first 308AR was with a rifle length gas system with an adjustable gas block. It worked fine. My second and third were both mid-length with adjustable gas blocks. They didn't function right at first, but it turned out to NOT be the gas system's fault. I screwed up (don't grease the BCG cam pin. it gums up the action :drool: . Lightly oil it.) After I fixed that, both mid lengths have run flawlessly with lots of reloads and commercial ammo. I'd take either mid-length rifle anytime I had to have something that absolutely had to work.

4 hours ago, mineralman55 said:

(don't grease the BCG cam pin. it gums up the action :drool: . Lightly oil it.) 

I grease everyone of mine , might depend on the grease & outside temps with some grease .I also put grease on the bottom & sides of the Carrier , where the Hammer will ride & the rails of the Carrier , I use Red & Tacky  Synthetic Grease , has never had an issue . On new Builds I put a very small dab on the back Of the Bolt Lugs at first testing .

2 hours ago, Tuflehundon said:

Wasn't planning to tune it the way I did my 3gun rifle. I just want it to work and be reliable. 

Well, I've got 4 or 5 of these things now.  None of them have adjustable gas blocks, just standard gas blocks.  None of them have fancy recoil systems - one is a DPMS rifle recoil system, but with an Armalite EA1095 spring.  The others all run Armalite AR-10 Carbine recoil systems.  Regular gas tubes, one rifle length gas system, the others are mid.

They run, no issues, no tuning required.  Bought decent barrels, and haven't even had to drill a gas port in any of them.

Edited by 98Z5V

11 hours ago, Tuflehundon said:

Wasn't planning to tune it the way I did my 3gun rifle. I just want it to work and be reliable. 

Mid or Rifle on a 308AR if Quality Barrels & THE PROPER BUFFER SYSTEM  used , should work with out any fancy mod's , the Mid will have a slight increase in felt recoil , but nothing to speak of . I just believe the Rifle Length Gas system is a smoother running Action .

On 1/26/2018 at 7:03 AM, survivalshop said:

Mid or Rifle on a 308AR if Quality Barrels & THE PROPER BUFFER SYSTEM  used , should work with out any fancy mod's , the Mid will have a slight increase in felt recoil , but nothing to speak of . I just believe the Rifle Length Gas system is a smoother running Action .

The guy that had the mid gas barrel listed sold it. SO now I'm pretty much set on the Faxon 18" heavy fluted barrel.  Just gotta save up for it.