• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Does anyone besides KAC make a correct M110 barrel??

jdkno

New to the board but have been active on AR-15 boards for quite some time. I recently came across too good of a deal to pass up on an Aero upper/lower set in .308 so now its off to the races to collect parts and get it built. I love my 15's but building them has become pretty boring at this point. I would like to find a correct M110 barrel, seems like an easy enough task when I entered "M110 Barrel" in good old Mr. Google. Problem is NONE of the barrels I see called M110 are built to the M110 spec. 20" .750 gas block and threaded 3/4-24. They all seem to be .850 GB and 5/8 -24 thread.  Is there no manufacturer out there that can create a proper M110 barrel other than Charlie's? I think I have most of the measurements of the true M110 profile however as much as I believe what I have is correct I am not 100% certain enough to gamble the cost of a custom barrel on it yet.

I am still looking, you can find a lot of barrels listed as M110 but the only thing any of them have in common with the M110 is .308 and 20". Still need one with the .750 gas block and the 3/4 threads vs 5/8 that ever M110 barrel I can find has.

The Fulton Armory M110 barrel is probably gonna be your best bet.  It's .875", and 5/8x24.  You can overcome the threading with an adapter.  Just the fact that it's approved for this:

" Legal for M110 Service Rifle NRA Match "

...says alot.  I understand about wanting to build it legit, and completely accurate.  However, that could cost you up to $25K for a real M110, potentially.  Pray you find someone parting one out, but I doubt that would ever happen unless we hit an all new gun ban.  None of us will be able to afford anything, if that's the case... Gougers will crush us...

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

The Fulton Armory M110 barrel is probably gonna be your best bet.  It's .875", and 5/8x24.  You can overcome the threading with an adapter.  Just the fact that it's approved for this:

" Legal for M110 Service Rifle NRA Match "

...says alot.  I understand about wanting to build it legit, and completely accurate.  However, that could cost you up to $25K for a real M110, potentially.  Pray you find someone parting one out, but I doubt that would ever happen unless we hit an all new gun ban.  None of us will be able to afford anything, if that's the case... Gougers will crush us...

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

This is the Criterion barrel I was speaking of. I may or may not be right/wrong about the OEM manufacturer of the barrel. This is likely the closest you'll find.

I am planning on an M110 supressor so I will need to use both the correct flash hider and gas block. A shoulderless thread adapter would cover the muzzle device but I would have to have the gas block area turned down to .750 in order to allow the M110 gas block to mount. I guess getting the gas block turned down and using the thread adapter would be cheaper in the end then going full custom especially since I am only about 96% sure of the M110 dimensions I have managed to gather.

3 minutes ago, jdkno said:

I am planning on an M110 supressor so I will need to use both the correct flash hider and gas block. A shoulderless thread adapter would cover the muzzle device but I would have to have the gas block area turned down to .750 in order to allow the M110 gas block to mount. I guess getting the gas block turned down and using the thread adapter would be cheaper in the end then going full custom especially since I am only about 96% sure of the M110 dimensions I have managed to gather.

If you can find the specs for the sr-25, from what I understand the sr-25 and the m110 share nearly identical barrel specifications.

I believe Boots is somewhat out of comission right now. I know Charlie's Customs was working with Obermeyer to produce M110 barrels but with the limited numbers he will be putting out getting my hands on one may be near impossible. I signed up to be notified when they are back in stock but who knows when that will come to fruition.

From what I can see the SR-25 thins out just ahead of the gas block and then steps back up. 

On the M110 profile I have the length, thickness under the handguard, under the gas block and then it stays .750 to the end. The main measurements I am questionable on is my measurements on the the gas port, gas block shoulder, and how far back off the muzzle the threads start. All it would take is one of those being off a little to make me have a very expensive paperweight.

If you want to spend some $ you could try to find a longer, heavier barrel that has the type of rifling that you need, the correct barrel extension, and the gas block in the correct location (rifle length?) and have someone like Randall at AR15Barrels.com cut it down, put the desired thread on the crown, if necessary cut the gas block diameter to the .750" you need and re-profile the barrel to your spec's

Edited by guruofhotrod

3 hours ago, guruofhotrod said:

If you want to spend some $ you could try to find a longer, heavier barrel that has the type of rifling that you need, the correct barrel extension, and the gas block in the correct location (rifle length?) and have someone like Randall at AR15Barrels.com cut it down, put the desired thread on the crown, if necessary cut the gas block diameter to the .750" you need and re-profile the barrel to your spec's

That’s actually a helluva idea. Randall does some excellent work. He has a shit ton of barrel knowledge. 

4 minutes ago, jdkno said:

Can you elaborate on the issues?

There is a thread here somewhere, either under my Matrix build or search x-caliber.

It was a 16 inch rifle gas barrel, came with the gas port way undersized . Had to drill it out a little at a time to get it to function. The x caliber rep came on here and spouted some real bullschit excuses that got him heckled off the board. Too bad they could have saved a ton on R&R by listening to the gurus here!

1 minute ago, jtallen83 said:

There is a thread here somewhere, either under my Matrix build or search x-caliber.

It was a 16 inch rifle gas barrel, came with the gas port way undersized . Had to drill it out a little at a time to get it to function. The x caliber rep came on here and spouted some real bullschit excuses that got him heckled off the board. Too bad they could have saved a ton on R&R by listening to the gurus here!

So other than the port issue and the x-caliber rep, would you buy another barrel from them? Decision is killing me, I think I'm going to wait to see what Randall says about modifying a longer barrel then make my choice from there. 

8 hours ago, jdkno said:

would you buy another barrel from them?

Never is a long time so maybe. If I did there would have to be lots of conversation and assurances, as well as a good price. I bought when they were first getting into AR barrels, price was a good 1/3 less than they are now. I will add that the chamber and the bore had the nicest mirror finish I have ever seen.

Superior Rifle Systems is now offering built-to-spec barrels, starting at $299. I believe they're built from McGowen blanks.

You spec barrel extension, caliber, length, material, twist (all 5R), profile (choose between 3), GB OD, gas length, muzzle thread, finish and fluting.

I can't remember off the top of my head if they have 3/4-24, but I'm sure if you contact Cain Luna at SRS, he can figure something out for you.

Edited by COBrien

Sent an e-mail to SRS  Monday evening, still haven't heard back from them yet. I've been going back and fourth with Randall at AR15barrels and I think thats the way I'm going to go. He told me if I get a bull barrel he can re-contour it to for the M110 gas block and put the correct threads on it for the M110 flash hider.

I found 2 barrels in stock, both of them are SS 1:10 twist 24" bull barrels that he can chop to 20" One is a DPMS, the other is a FA Criterion 1:10 twist 4 groove. Not sure what the 4 groove is, Ive heard of 5R, etc but not 4 groove. Just trying to decide which way to go here. There is about $100.00 difference between them, I highly doubt I would see any acurracy difference between the 2 to justify the $100.00 difference. Any thoughts? 

I decided to just go with the DPMS. I do not shoot competitively and I do not hand load(yet) so the little bit of advantage the Criterion may give me would never be realized. The $100 difference while small will cover a good portion of what I am having to put out to have the barrel re-profiled so it will help me from a budget standpoint, I am not trying to nickle and dime the build but I also don't want to sit back at the end and realize I could have bought one off the shelf, of the same quality,  for the same or less cost. Or conversely, build a $5,000 rifle that shoots just the same as a $2000 rifle.  

• 4 months later...

Well I figured I would go ahead and update this since the last of my parts arrived on Monday and I had the chance Yesterday evening to dry fit everything together. I had Randall at AR15barrels turn down a 24" DPMS bull barrel to M110'ish specs. I will say it took a while(about 2.5 months) but his finished product was MORE than worth the wait. So I guess the answer to the title of this thread is, just about anyone can provided you do your homework and get all the necessary measurements and you have someone who is able to re-profile an existing barrel. As is I am into it for about $2,400.00. Still needs glass and Cerakote, and will probably replace the trigger with a Giessele GS2 2 stage.

Specs:  Aero Upper/Lower, Aero LPK including trigger, Magpul MOE SL-S stock, KAK Double extractor BCG, KAK Heavy buffer with springco orange spring; KAC URX 3 rail system; KAC Double High Gas Block; KAC M110 flash hider; Strike Industires extended latch charging handle. 

Aero 308.jpg

7 hours ago, jdkno said:

Still needs glass and Cerakote, and will probably replace the trigger with a Giessele GS2 2 stage.

That is a great looking setup - good work!  Before you spend any money on that G2S, check out the LaRue MBT2S.  You will never find a better comparable trigger for that price, and it specs out in pull weights identical to the G2S.

Edited by 98Z5V