• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Finally!!!

After over a month and a half I was finally able to pull the trigger on my PA10 Gen II rifle. Overtime out the wazoo, a funeral, wedding and just life in general

all got in the way. So, during that time I read, a lot, on this Forum. I buffed the internals as per bfoosh, and added an H3 buffer and Armalite recoil spring as per 98.

Today I deflowered her. Going by an article on barrel break-in, I fired 1, cleaned and did that 9 more times. Then it was 5 sets of 3, clean between sets. Then 3 sets of

5-same thing. What  chore but I did notice groups tightening up as I went.

I have a very slight BCG mark at 8 o'clock otherwise no other issues. I used a 10rd P-Mag for break-in and had no issues-every round fed and ejected. Break-in ammo was Fed

180gr softpoints-only 308 my funshop had. Sights, for now, were Factory FSB and a Magpul MBUS rear. Scope coming as funds allow. Blasting ammo was reloads.

Only Issues I encountered were mag related.

I picked up a few cheap C-Products which needed major filing just to fit in the mag well but the SOB's all functioned great.Next up were ASC's I picked up from Primary Arms.

1 out of 5 worked ok. The other 4 had feed lips so close together it wouldn't allow the bolt to travel freely-they will be worked on. My 2 20 round P-mags worked just fine.

Rifle is a PSA Enhanced lower, upper is an 18" SS barrel with FSB. Ran it soaking wet with Mobile 1. Other then mag issues she ran great with recoil not being as bad, TO ME, as anticipated.

BIG SMILES today ? ? ? 

1 hour ago, CoalCracker said:

One thing I have learned rather quickly is that a 308 AR is NOT a nose to charging handle weapons platform? Only took one round ?

Depends on the setup. I can run that way with my Bushnell 1x6.5’s and haven’t had an issue even with a tank of a CH from MechArmor. Granted I don’t put my nose on the CH but it is directly above it, just have to drive that gun, tell it where it will go and where it won’t.

A quarter is 0.069" thick.  69-thou.  :thumbup:

You think you can get that extension in there another turn?...  Can't have it sticking past the ears on the lower, at the sides and top...

Edited by 98Z5V

If you want some cheap plinking ammo check out the Malaysian milsurp ammo. My PA10 shoots the stuff pretty well. It can be had very reasonable, for now. Other than that, I've started reloading for my serious hunting ammo. That stuff is REAL expensive to buy at the lgs.

Bigfoot--I can't give a definitive answer as to the Armalite spring cause I never tried the stock spring. 98 said that it would be a good thing to install along with an H3 buffer so I went with experienced advice.

bfoosh--I hear ya. Already picked up 8 lbs of BLC-2, 2000 once fired cases and 1200 Hornady 150gr fmj's. Scopes next. And thanks again for getting me in here ?

mley--Thanks for the heads up on the Malay ammo. Was unsure if I should try it or go with maybe Privi. Will give SGAmmo an order.

I've got a complete (modern) PSA PA-10 Carbine recoil System on it's way to me. I will spec that thing out to death, and report all the differences in it, along with all the AR-10 Carbine stuff I keep recommending.  I just received a new AR-10 Carbine system in the mail yesterday, to replace the one I'd sent off at the beginning of the week, to fix one of these rifles. 

I will give you guys the details on the differences.  There are a few. 

I can fix your .308 Carbine Recoil System, and make you a functional rifle.  That's beyond a doubt, if you trust what I'm saying...  There's no reason you should have to modify the parts that were sent to you, though, unless it's something very, very minor.  Replace 2 out of 3, or even 3 out of 3 parts in the system?  Hell no, it shouldn't be that way.  I'm always down with minor modifications, but I'm not down with a complete replacement of the recoil system of your rifle, just to get it functional.  I will never pull punches when telling any of you that, either.  :thumbup:

2 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I've got a complete (modern) PSA PA-10 Carbine recoil System on it's way to me. I will spec that thing out to death, and report all the differences in it, along with all the AR-10 Carbine stuff I keep recommending.  I just received a new AR-10 Carbine system in the mail yesterday, to replace the one I'd sent off at the beginning of the week, to fix one of these rifles. 

I will give you guys the details on the differences.  There are a few. 

I can fix your .308 Carbine Recoil System, and make you a functional rifle.  That's beyond a doubt, if you trust what I'm saying...  There's no reason you should have to modify the parts that were sent to you, though, unless it's something very, very minor.  Replace 2 out of 3, or even 3 out of 3 parts in the system?  Hell no, it shouldn't be that way.  I'm always down with minor modifications, but I'm not down with a complete replacement of the recoil system of your rifle, just to get it functional.  I will never pull punches when telling any of you that, either.  :thumbup:

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out as I read more than I post.