• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Acog ta 648 for the lmt mws 308

So, the 648 is a 6x scope with a BDC hash based on the .223 round, out to 800 meters.  That is an M16A4 optic, right there, for someone in an SDM role. MSRP is $2.6k bones, too.

The TA55 is also a 5.56-gun scope, but the TA-55A has a reticle for a .308 gun. Details, when ordering, are everything.  Both those scopes MSRP at about $1,950. 

As I see it, based on your choices, the only available option that will work with the gun you ordered is the TA-55A.

Did you research this, or just ask a general question?  I'm just curious.

I know that the British army is using the acog ta 648 as the scope for this rifle. I have never actually seen one, but i have found that they can be bought used for around $1300.00. I have seen and held the ta 55 and they can be bought new for around $1300.00. I have never used either of these scopes and was wondering what others thought of them.

Wow, man, that's a serious discount, even for used!  That would be a hard deal to pass up.

I didn't know the Brits were using that optic on their L129s, but they've got to be doing it for a reason.  I've used a 5.56-specific BDC scope on my .308 while I was waiting on the primary optic to go on sale, and the BDC hashes were nowhere close at distances  over 300 yards.

That info changes the game a little, right there.  If you can snag one for $1300, it would definitely be worth it to do so, just to try.  If it doesn't work for what you want, you could still sell it for the same that you paid, and not be out anything.  Or, that's a really good reason to build up a nice 18" or 20" AR-15.  ;D

• 3 months later...

negetive batman, the ta648 bdc is based of the m118 ball ammo.  but your spot on with it being on at 300yrds.  After that the bdc is like all the rest, you have to find to use hold over.  I didn't mind paying full price but I expected the bdc to work as advertised and for the price it should.  I spoke to Tri and they sent me some bullistic tables they say was used for development.  They stated the ta648 bdc is based on the .308 round.  I was currently doing some load testing to find a  middle of the load round at mag length but am currently recovering from a tough shoulder surgery.  any information please let me know. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

People reload for .308 semi-autos ALL the time.  What's not working for you?

I'm wondering the same as well... based on comments in other threads factory ammo works fine for him, but fired brass apparently doesn't work well. It's not clear to me whether he means fired brass from that gun's chamber, or fired brass from a different rifle. In any case, that's gotta be one very tight chamber to be so finicky.  <dontknow>

• 2 months later...

I load for three 308 Win rifles.  Two bolt actions and the DPMS.  Fired casings from one of the bolts and the AR do fine in all three rifles with neck resizing.  Fired casings from the other bolt will work in all three rifles but:  In the other bolt it is necessary to force the bolt closed.  The AR seems to have enough force from the BCG to close and lock.  I do not use fired brass from the first rifle in the other two (except for the minimal experimentation to determine what would work) because I do not want to have problems at the range and am nervous about what the tight fit may mean.  I have purchased several kinds of gauges to check the chambers but need fired casings from each rifle.  Currently that is not possible.  Otherwise,  neck sizing is sufficient as long as I keep the brass separated into two groups.

For my new M-15 I have bought a Hornady two-die full-length resizing & loading set.  I have not had an opportunity to shoot this new rife and have not yet opened the package of dies.  Or bought components for reloading.

I load for three 308 Win rifles.  Two bolt actions and the DPMS.  Fired casings from one of the bolts and the AR do fine in all three rifles with neck resizing.  Fired casings from the other bolt will work in all three rifles but:  In the other bolt it is necessary to force the bolt closed.  The AR seems to have enough force from the BCG to close and lock.  I do not use fired brass from the first rifle in the other two (except for the minimal experimentation to determine what would work) because I do not want to have problems at the range and am nervous about what the tight fit may mean.  I have purchased several kinds of gauges to check the chambers but need fired casings from each rifle.  Currently that is not possible.  Otherwise,  neck sizing is sufficient as long as I keep the brass separated into two groups.

For my new M-15 I have bought a Hornady two-die full-length resizing & loading set.  I have not had an opportunity to shoot this new rife and have not yet opened the package of dies.  Or bought components for reloading.

wrong thread??

• 1 year later...