• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Butt stock slipping

Dredonn

Hello gentlemen I'm new here and also to rifles, I just got my first rifle, a Savage MSR 10 in .308; I'm loving this gun but I'm having a slight problem, when I hold the gun in my hand and fire there's no problem, but whenever I lay the front of it on a rest the adjustable butt stock slips a notch when fired. So I have to hold the gun at an angle so the butt stock is perfectly straight or else it jumps a notch. Again I'm new to this so I was wondering if I'm doing it wrong or is the butt stock just a bad one, I appreciate any input I can get to help make my range time more enjoyable.

You mean the stock will collapse when you shoot it from the rest? Are you sure you have it locked into the notch? Can you force it to collapse with it locked in place by banging or pushing on the stock? Ive never seen that stock before so I cant speak on its quality. 

3 hours ago, blue109 said:

You mean the stock will collapse when you shoot it from the rest? Are you sure you have it locked into the notch? Can you force it to collapse with it locked in place by banging or pushing on the stock? Ive never seen that stock before so I cant speak on its quality. 

Yes the stock collapses when using a rest, and yes its' locked, it doesn't happen when ever I'm holding it in my hand; I guess whenever it's on the rest the stock shifts just enough so the recoil makes it collapse one notch. Its a Black Hawk stock that comes with the gun.

Unload the rifle, close the bolt, extend the stock, drop the rifle on the butt to see if it collapses. 

Im going to say you need a new stock. If you have a micrometer, measure the external diameter of the buffer tube to ensure which size you have. I’m still believing you have a commercial stock (bigger diameter hole) and a milspec tube. 

3 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Contact Savage , it should be under warranty .

This 

4 hours ago, suzukiray said:

Might sound kind of stupid but is the stock release lever resting on or hitting something????

Also worth looking at, maybe take the stock off see if maybe something is in one of the holes, or if somthing is hanging the pin up