• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Favorite Rifle Scope Under $500, $1000, $2000

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I am really happy with my SS variable, 3x9 . Clear glass for the cost.  I have also heard that for 3 gun, many like the Millet 1x4 DMS. I was in Dillon Precision and was talking to some of the staff and customers about it. That is what they were saying, I looked through it and it seemed fair for the price.

Snipers Hide has tons of info to read. Good source  <thumbsup>

The Millett TRS 1 that I just got is the first scope of its kind I have ever used & I have a lot to learn about the mil dot system .

It is easy to set up , sight in & nice optics & just love the lighted mil dot's ,another first for me .

Even though the battery that came with it was DOA ,I picked up a new one for under $5.00.

Another thing is it came with out any paper work what so ever . I went to Millett"s web sight & down loaded it .

I also see a future for one of Millet's DM scope ,I also looked through one a friend had & really liked it . It may get a home on my 16" AR 308.

I also see a future for on of Millet's DM scope ,I also looked through one a friend had & really liked it . It may get a home on my 16" AR 308.

The DMS-1 is a nice scope, man - it would be a good one for the 16" beasty.  <thumbsup>

I didn't see the 1000, 2000 etc. . So for 500, my SS 3-9 .$1000, I have a SN4s 1-4 US Optic also on my 18" 5.56. It is a very clear piece of glass. I wish I would have been able to get the 1-6 though. My eyes can use all the help it can get. Out to about 400yrds, I am good with it, over that, I wish I had more magnification.

• 2 months later...

Pride Fowler RR800-1 is on sale @ Holsters.com for 480.00. It usually sells for around 800.00. It's an awesome scope with a great reticle and it's in the front focal plane. The glass is from Japan and the the scope is solid and clear. I also have the model 600 on my Remington 700 .243 and couldn't be happier. Many of the Pride Fowler products are in use with our military with good results.

I really like my nikon monarch 3-12x42 I have one on the bushmaster 16" 308 and my rem 700 7pm and great optics and the 7pm has kept zero forthe last 7 years of hunting including two falls out of a truck onto the ground. That scope has hunted three states and flown 4 times also. I am sold.  Also on the cheaper side of your scale for 400 bucks

Under $500 the Millett TRS-1 has given good service. I have one on my LR-308 with about 1,000 rds on it, and it has given no problems.

Under $1000 any Leupold will give great service and their warranty is best in the business. I bought a Vari-X III 2.5-8x32 used and used it until I started having problems with it holding zero. I returned it to Leupold and received a phone call a couple weeks later, the lady said they weren't able to repair it because of the age. They were sending me a brand new VX-III 2.5-8x32 as a replacement free of charge, would I like the gloss or matt finish? Anybody have a better warranty than that?

Under $2000 your out of my price range. I can't see spending over a $1000 on a scope for any reason.

Under $200 if you want a good scope and are broke, look at the new Weaver's. They are made in japan, not china, and the optics are excellent. They may be the best deal in a scope out there. Probably a toss up between them and the new Redfields.

• 1 month later...

I started my optics crusade with the typical crap optics; NCStar, Leapers and other cheap Chinese crap.  Definitely not worth it for any firearm.  Then I picked up a used 10x40 Super Sniper (by Tasco at the time) and was pleased with it.  Still looking for variable power, I tried the "higher end" Chinese stuff (Millet - yes, it's Chinese) - and had marginally better luck, but still not something to count on.  For under $500, your options for a GOOD, RELIABLE variable power optic are very limited.  Bushnell Elite [series], and Vortex are good names.  Jumping up to the $1K ceiling, you open yourself up to some MUCH better options and if I could do it all over again, I would save up until I moved into this $1K budget category.  One big benefit of the higher cost optics is that they hold resale value really well.  In the under $1K range, look for Trijicon AccuPoint, ACOG, Vortex PST's (variable-power FFP is an option now under $1K!), and if you're lucky you can find a used Nightforce 1-4x24 or maybe a 2.5-10x24 in this range.  For the under $2K, Nightforce NXS and US Optics are primo. 

• 3 months later...

Under $500..hard to beat Nikon Buckmaster and Monarch....for a "cheap" under$500 look at Osprey.little heavy but rugged built , pretty decent glass and adjustments,side focus.

Under 1K...Burris Black Diamond, Leupold VX Long Range scopes....

No experience over a grand..maybe when kids are outta school....and have jobs...and move out...if I live to see that day.

OH...and don’t forget Eotech's...love mine..

• 2 months later...

Under $500 the Millett TRS-1 has given good service. I have one on my LR-308 with about 1,000 rds on it, and it has given no problems.

That's nice to know. I ordered one of these and got it in the mail yesterday. Mounting it with Burris PEPR one piece. Had doubts about the mount height and test fitted it on my 16" Bushmaster AR15. This scope is HUGE! It reaches all the way from the charging handle to the front site, and that is without the 4" shade. Hell, you could take it off the rifle and use it as a club if you had to for those up close and personal moments!!  :o

It's not a Nightforce or Leopold by any means, but I can't afford one of those at this time anyway. From what I can see the optics are pretty clear, the knobs all turn smoothly (1/4 MOA now), and I especially like the dots and bars size as they don't cover up the whole target. If it quits raining I might shoot a few through and see what it can do. Still waiting on my 308. For 300 bucks, it appears to be a fairly decent scope, and I have read way more good reviews vs bad ones. I'll let you all know how it actually performs later. But as of this moment, I am satisfied with my purchase.

I started my optics crusade with the typical crap optics; NCStar, Leapers and other cheap Chinese crap.  Definitely not worth it for any firearm.  Then I picked up a used 10x40 Super Sniper (by Tasco at the time) and was pleased with it.  Still looking for variable power, I tried the "higher end" Chinese stuff (Millet - yes, it's Chinese) - and had marginally better luck, but still not something to count on.  For under $500, your options for a GOOD, RELIABLE variable power optic are very limited.  Bushnell Elite [series], and Vortex are good names.  Jumping up to the $1K ceiling, you open yourself up to some MUCH better options and if I could do it all over again, I would save up until I moved into this $1K budget category.  One big benefit of the higher cost optics is that they hold resale value really well.  In the under $1K range, look for Trijicon AccuPoint, ACOG, Vortex PST's (variable-power FFP is an option now under $1K!), and if you're lucky you can find a used Nightforce 1-4x24 or maybe a 2.5-10x24 in this range.  For the under $2K, Nightforce NXS and US Optics are primo.

I definitely agree with your observations.  I cannot afford anything over 1k and so I went ahead with the Snipers Hide group buy (originally priced at $1499 but with the group buy at $999): the SWFA Super Sniper 5-20 X 50 HD - about 31 mills of elevation (30mm tube), FFP etc.  (they no longer have any affiliation with the Tasco super snipers of old).  They should arrive from Japan shortly.  I will of course use a geiger on it before I use it extensively. 

These are not the first generation of Super Snipers.  These scopes have glass that is at least equal to or better than the Night Force scopes and the mechanicals are hugely improved.  I can't wait to mount it on my LR 308s and my MEGA Monolith 6.5 Grendel builds. 

If it were not for the Snipers Hide group buy, I would have gone for a Bushnell 6-24 illum. with the FFP and etc.  Or as an alternative the Vortex Viper PST 6-24 - however, they are having problems with delivery and I lost patience and went with the group buy.  The combination of SWFA and Snipers Hide was just too good to let pass.  The Optics Talk is where I go for information on optics and m4carbine.net is where I go for m4carbines and middies.  Here is where I go to share and learn about .308 ARs ;-)