• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Bleed Kit on a Budget

jtallen83

Wasn't sure what category to put this in but since this relates to something everyone should have in the gear figured this would do. Had an opportunity to buy some Celox gauze packages at a reasonable price so I decided to put together some kits for serious bleed events. I have been giving these to co-workers and family as I put them together. I have about $10-$11 in each kit, cheap compared to what many on the market go for. The Celox is over half the expense. The RAT tourniquets are chinese made versions but I figured including a cheap version was better than not including one at all. I also wanted them to be compact enough that I could actually get people to carry them in there computer bags, book bags, or just keep one in their glove box. I try to give a quick rundown on how to use the stuff when I hand one out, more often than not they look at me like I'm a nut and maybe I am. 

Contents are 2 ea. 4x4 Celox gauze pads, RAT tourniquet, 2 ea. large surgical gauze pads, surgical gloves, emergency blanket, and 7-8 foot of duct tape.  I have a couple dozen cheap medical shears coming, if they work I will include them. Any ideas for something I should add would be great, trying to stay inside the quart size ziplock bag.

IMG_0924.thumb.jpg.b16bf534b8f7bd8efea5a62459986df4.jpgIMG_0926.thumb.jpg.2fc4639f8be75275cf8663e627c07daa.jpgIMG_0925.thumb.jpg.871d62de2c456970716a6453ace82200.jpg

Just now, edgecrusher said:

I just bought a cat tourniquet for my duty rig, something to look into for a much better tourniquet option when budget allows. We had a large discussion about this for the fall shoot but I can’t remember if it made it into the thread.

I have a CAT or a SOF-T in every one of my vehicles, go bags, IFAK's, and range bags. An ankle kit with SOF-T-W is on my Christmas wish list. They are a bit cost prohibitive to start handing out to everyone though and take up more space than my quart baggy kit allows for. I hope I can jump start some minds with these cheap kits and get some people to start taking it serious for themselves.

That's a hell of a small kit, right there, and great!  Only thing I would add would be a small bag of QuickClot to it - that would kill the expense/cost, though.  If it's bad enough, or a gaping wound, pour that QuickClot in there, them slap the Celox bandage over it.  It'll stop everything except arterial - but that's exactly what the tourniquet is for.

I'm a huge fan of the RATS tourniquet, these days.  There were 3 of them out there at the Fall Shoot, in my gear.  Biggest benefit of it is the worst case scenario - you can put it on yourself, one-handed, and it's fast as fuk.

It's less than 20 bucks.

RET.103-2.jpg

I really like the Blue Force Gear Micro Trauma Kit. Add a RATS to the kit and you could practically EDC the kit without issue. 

I chest seals and pharyngeal hoses are nice luxuries, but I’ll take a tourniquet, compression bandage and clotting gauze first. 

I supplied my own CAT’s for duty, but the dept actually supplied us with SWAT-T tourniquets. At a recent training I was recognized for using the CAT, and then using the SWAT-T as a compression bandage. I stuffed the arterial bleed with 9’ of gauze and then used the SWAT-T instead of the Israeli bandage. The giant rubber band, SWAT-T, gave more pressure than the fabric bandage could provide. I also pointed out that it could be used to immobilize limbs just as easily. 

39 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

That's a hell of a small kit, right there, and great!  Only thing I would add would be a small bag of QuickClot to it - that would kill the expense/cost, though.  If it's bad enough, or a gaping wound, pour that QuickClot in there, them slap the Celox bandage over it.  It'll stop everything except arterial - but that's exactly what the tourniquet is for.

RET.103-2.jpg

I tell them to stuff one of the Celox pads into the wound if they can. I am hoping I can score some of the powder packets cheap eventually. The the Chinese version of the RATS, forgot about the S, is real similar but has a stainless buckle instead of aluminum. The cord isn’t quit as stiff as the real deal either, might make getting it back through the loop by yourself on your own limb a little harder, but they are $1.50 so I can hand out a bunch more for my money.

I am also looking for a bulk deal on chest seals but figured the bag and duct tape can suffice, I was trained to use the wrapper from the combat gauze for sucking chest wounds.

• 1 month later...

Gotta say, in a bad way - you guys needs to get away from that shiit.  Nobody is gonna twist a rod and tie it down on themselves, to stop an arterial bleed -you're already gonna be shocking out from blood loss - hypovolemic shock or psychosomatic shock.  That's too many movements, and too much complicated shiit to go through, with sticks, and tying shiit down.

I've said it before, and I'm saying it again, you need "simple" in application, when you're in a situation to really need a tourniquet.

Don't complicate shiit with complicated shiit.  For REAL, when you're dealing with blood loss, and stopping it.  Go simple.

You gotta face real life, here, men.  Tourniquets are cool, if you have to put them on someone.  You have all the calm and patience in the world, being that "first responder."  Use their own blood and mark a "T" on their forehead, with the time that you applied it to them...  Great First Responder stuff, right there. 

You can only rely on gross motor skills if you need to put that thing on yourself - or you die...

You don't have two hands to apply a torniquet to yourself, unless it's a leg wound.  You need to be able to apply a tourniquet with only one operational hand, and no more.

Edited by 98Z5V