• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I need some dimensions...

98Z5V

Merle 308 contacted me today about a spec that I can't get right now.  Anybody have the diameter of a stripped 308 upper, at the threads?  Not inside the threads, flat part of caliper on the threads...   I need someone to measure this.  I don't have any stripped 308 uppers right now, and it would suck to take a gun apart. 

I need this diameter:

1674577787_Merleupper.thumb.jpg.322570ca456d1d80cd994265cd6a5295.jpg

38 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Merle 308 contacted me today about a spec that I can't get right now.  Anybody have the diameter of a stripped 308 upper, at the threads?  Not inside the threads, flat part of caliper on the threads...   I need someone to measure this.  I don't have any stripped 308 uppers right now, and it would suck to take a gun apart. 

I need this diameter:

1674577787_Merleupper.thumb.jpg.322570ca456d1d80cd994265cd6a5295.jpg

If I don't forget it, I'll get that tomorrow.

Just some general errata about threads. The lead is 1" / threads per inch, so in the case of a 1-7/16-16 thread the "tap drill size" we would typically use is the major dia minus the lead. So again for 1-7/16-16 we would use a 1.375 tap drill. metric threads are specified with the lead typically, so for a M6 x 1.0(this is the lead) we would use a 5MM tap drill.

So if you have sharp topped threads at 1.400 major dia...the nut will be sloppy as %^$#@ probably ??

Bill

5 hours ago, willbird said:

Just some general errata about threads. The lead is 1" / threads per inch, so in the case of a 1-7/16-16 thread the "tap drill size" we would typically use is the major dia minus the lead. So again for 1-7/16-16 we would use a 1.375 tap drill. metric threads are specified with the lead typically, so for a M6 x 1.0(this is the lead) we would use a 5MM tap drill.

So if you have sharp topped threads at 1.400 major dia...the nut will be sloppy as %^$#@ probably ??

Bill

The threads on the upper receiver fit into the barrel nut like the proverbial hotdog down a hallway. So yeah it's pretty sloppy.

14 hours ago, Merle said:

The threads on the upper receiver fit into the barrel nut like the proverbial hotdog down a hallway. So yeah it's pretty sloppy.

I kind of lost myself in the dissertation about tap drill sizes, but you can use that math to make sure the barrel nut is on spec. major dia - the lead of the thread will give you minor dia for close to 80% thread.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Well just got word from the manufacturer that their upper and lower was in spec but they will issue a refund if I'd like. I guess a receiver extension is supposed to fit so loose that you can damn near pull it out when it's threaded in to their lower and a barrel nut that moves up and down .030" when threaded on to their upper is considered in spec in their part of the country. So the search is on again for a SR-25 style upper and lower. 

Edited by Merle

40 minutes ago, Merle said:

Well just got word from the manufacturer that their upper and lower was in spec but they will issue a refund if I'd like.

What spec, brother?   :laffs:   They're so full of it, it's not even funny.  I'd like to see them build up something with it.