• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Reload Trouble

SpairParts

Well damn.

I have a friend reloading me some 308  plinking ammo. Hornaday 150gr fmj,once fired brass and cci large rifle primers. Not sure on powder load but i do trust he going with the load data.

Looks like the round is sticking in the chamber almost and twisting in the bolt a little either loading, ejecting or both. Sorry for pic quality but best i could get! Put some glasses on if ya need to.

Looking at the back of the case pics you can see where it is turning and there is actually a nice burr.

Any thoughts ideas?

IMG_20181216_152155363.jpg

IMG_20181216_152143566.jpg

IMG_20181216_152001030.jpg

IMG_20181216_153852207.jpg

IMG_20181216_152236614.jpg

IMG_20181216_152352129.jpg

Looks like ejector issues.  See how that ejector looks like it's almost squared off on top?  It needs to have a slight radius all the way around it, or it's gonna catch every single round trying to feed from the right side of the magazine.

Ejector swipe, not real unusual. Might be a tad hot but could also just need some weight in the buffer or a stiffer spring to slow things down a bit. Could ease the edges of the ejector a bit. I've got one that shows the same crater effect around the primer strike but it has more to do with an oversize firing pin hole in the bolt than pressure. Hard to totally do away with all the marks and still have good reliability, at least I'd rather be a touch on the over-gassed side of the equation.

I've also seen folks have issues with cases sticking in the chamber from not having the reloading dies adjusted correctly.

Likely he's setting them up to crimp the bullet or should be for these applications.  You have to make sure that the crimp operation doesn't happen too early.  If it does the additional downward force will "push" the case down slightly and put enough of a bulge in it for them to stick in the chambers.  The "bulge" can be so slight you can't see it easily but rest assured they will stick in the chambers if this is happening.

I've seen this issue several times over the years with home reloaded ammunition so avoid it and only shoot my own reloads........Cliff

On 12/16/2018 at 5:15 PM, SpairParts said:

IMG_20181216_152155363.jpg

IMG_20181216_152143566.jpg

From the view if the back of the cartridge, right like this.

When the BCG closes (with bolt in the barrel extension), it's turning the BCG counterclockwise (rotation from the rear of the gun, in the "round's perspective").  That sharp edged ejector is causing that "smear" you see in the brass, to the left (or, counterclockwise) from the big round piece of displaced brass.

When the BCG opens, it's turning the bolt clockwise - and that ejector is digging in on it's own indentation right there, and displacing that "hump" or sharp piece of brass, in a "moon" or semi-circle, to the left side of that ejector indentation. 

Now, the ejector indentation is from a hot round - or something bad in your gas timing.  The BCG is already trying to moved rearward, but that piece of brass is still locked in the chamber. 

That sharp-edged ejector is WHAT is happening, but it's not necessarily WHY it's happening.  That make sense?

EDIT - if you radius the edges of that ejector, you're still gonna have some ejector smears on that particular load - but it's not gonna chew up the rim faces like that. 

Edited by 98Z5V

And believe it or not, primer changes can make a HUGE difference.

Also, I am not a real fan of 3031, in either 308 or 45/70. It seemed to reach over pressure signs with me and give a sharper felt recoil impulse many years ago. Your results may be different, but not from  tthe pics....

My 308 powder choice leans towards Varget, 4064 (very close cousins in the powder world), 748, or 760.....all depends on what I am trying to do. TAC may be another to try, but it likes my .223/5.56 cases more.

+2

Never been overly fond of 3031 dating clear back to the mid 1970's when I first started reloading.  Going from memory it has very long grains and "crunchy" thru my powder measure.   Difficult to tell by the pics but it appears that pressure may be a bit high looking at the primers.  In any case have you tried any factory loads with the same bullet weight?

Off topic but I've been shooting 45/70's and reloading for them about 4 decades now.  My "go-to" powder for that round is Reloader 7........Cliff

Edited by Cliff R

The photo's of the Fired case show some Primer cratering , but no flattening of the Primer , not normal sign with over pressure , more likely a slightly over sized Firing Pin Hole , as was already mentioned . Some more Lubricant may help the BCG function & as mentioned , very slight radius on the Ejector may help with marking or it may not total free movement in its pocket , a complete Bolt disassembly & inspection /lubrication may help . Marks on fired Brass is normal  , some loads do make more marks then others .

Fired Case also doesn't show signs of a rough Chamber that could be holding the case in the chamber too long , i would say , check Cartridge Case Head Space , Case Shoulder set bace , which has already been mentioned also.

The Powder is also not one of my favorite , it is an early load for 172 gr. match ammo used in the M14 , but they have went to IMR 4895 & 168 gr Bullets now . I tried 3031 in my SOCOM & it was a stout round ( feeling ) compared to Ramshot ,Tac , loaded to the same Velocity range  , but it did give about the same  , ES & SD of the Tac. 

What length Gas system do you have ?  

I really don't see an issue , except for the possibility of a slightly over sized Firing Pin hole , which only way to change that would be a different Bolt .

This should also moved to the Reloading section , might get more responses. 

Edited by survivalshop

Agreed about posting in the reloading section.

Might want to just have your friend back the load off to the minimum and test a few of those rounds.  I also noticed the firing pin cratering, which bothers me with this sort of thing.

Also notice the very sharp rise in pressure from 40.2gr to 43.5 it goes from 44,000 to 59,200.  It's always best to start at the minimum and sneak up on heavier loads than be on the upper end of the spectrum right out of the gate.....IMHO.

This provides the shooter a chance to check for signs of excessive pressure as you work up to the ideal load.  I'd also add that if this is just FMJ "plinking" rounds for sure you'll never notice the 200fps or so loss backing off the load just a tad......Cliff