Matt.Cross

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, dpete said:

Another one by The Fat Electrician

Millett was a badass!

I've talked extensively about this man, what a hero.  I met him before be passed.  I was in awe, just of his demeanor.  He didn't want to talk to my LT - he wanted to talk to me.  That pissed the LT off, but whatever.  Know your role, newbie. 

It's good to see this video.  It pays the man some tribute to what I've been saying for years, off the few brief minutes I got to spend with the man.  :hail:

To add perspective to this - I was assigned to the Funeral Detail of the first female killed during Desert Storm.  Her dad was a high-ranking Air Force Officer, and she was buried at Riverside Memorial Cemetery (now a National Cemetery). 

After the ceremony, he approached us.  He spoke to me.  (This is when the LT gets pissed off) 

The LT tried to interject, and got a stern look, and slinked off.  For the next 5 minutes, I carried on a conversation with this man.  He wasn't wearing the CMH sash and medal around his neck, just the ribbon, right on top of the ribbon stack from the world, that he'd earned.  I noticed that, and asked him about it.  He told me the story.  The LT is getting SUPER pissed off about the length of this private conversation, at this point.  Good.

LT tried to call me off, call me to come over, and Millett looked at him.  It stopped then. 

We continued the conversation, and I asked him what brought him here today, and he informed me that he was here to put flowers on this son's grave.  His son was killed in combat. 

That was a very sobering moment, and I had tears in my eyes when I saluted that man.  That was a once in a lifetime experience, that in turn guided my early (then) military career.

I had one final question for him, before we parted, and I asked him directly, "Sir, why did you come up to me, and address me today?"  His answer was simple.  He stated that he enjoyed our performance in that Funeral Detail - and I was the only Ranger in the group.  He said he didn't want to talk to anybody else about it, and if I was a Ranger Private, he would have chosen to talk to the Ranger Private. 

That's when I teared up and saluted the man.  And shook his hand. 

What a fuckin' REAL AMERICAN.  That talk changed my life. 

3 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Watch that vid again, @Cunuckgaucho...   :laffs:

"Don't let the good manners, and the accent and the maple syrup fool you..."   :lmao:

Starts around 13:30...  

Don't forget about the part in Canadians helping in the drafting of the Geneva Convention 😲

WW1 was a major part in what help to define Canada as a country and not a British colony. This was known as the Battle of Vimy Ridge where Canadians succeded after the British and French failed

I was blessed in that I had the opportunity to vist the sight and see the memorial at Vimy Ridge when I lived in Europe. I also had the opportunity to see other historical battle sites but this will always stand out in my mind.

The link below is a picture of the monument which doesn't convey how impressive it is. You can toggle the boxes to get 

an idea of the 20 sculputres that where all carved in place.

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/memorials/overseas/first-world-war/france/vimy/experience-vimy

• 2 weeks later...

I love the way he can tell a story.  :hail::lmao:

I had to study this event in language school.  It was a part of unit history, in country.  If all those people teaching this would have spilled it all like The Fat Electrician does, I would have had it memorized in 10 fucking minutes...   :laffs:

I had a 21.5 year history of doing shiit like this, all the way through my Army career.  Fukc 'em - you never know what's possible if you don't have the balls to ask.  OR, just DO IT...  if it wasn't right, you'll find out later - if it worked in the first place. 

Risk it.  Run with what you know.  Stay barely inside your capabilities, and you'll never fail. 

Other than that - Let it rip!

Tons of versions of this, no BS, and here's just one.  Honor Grad at 7th ID (Light) "Combat Leader's Course."  That's Pre-Ranger.  Smoked it.  I had to stand in front of the formation of those of us that made it through, and the Division CSM, George D. Mock, presented all the awards and grad certs.  I got Honor Grad and Land Nav Award.  I tied with some infantry fucking ROCK STUD MOTHERFUCKER on the overall PT test, and they gave it to that dude - told me "I got enough out of this course..."  Whatever...

SO, my feathers are ruffled, I'm in front of formation, CSM Mock is right there, and he asks me before the grad ceremony starts, ...  "Anything you want from me, Ranger?"  

Alright, here it comes.  Little Tommy is gonna come out...  "CSM, I didn't earm Honor Grad here, I just led - everyone else won that award, and it just happened to be when I was in a leadership position.  That's Fate.  However, I smoked the FUK out of that Land Nav course, and I did that of my own sheer will.  I beat that big fuckin' infantry dude on the PT test, but you'll give him the PT Award, and I'm ok with that..."

CSM Mock:  "So, you kicked ass here - can I do anything for you?"

Little Tommy:  "CSM, I want the very next slot to Ranger School that the Division gets..."

CSM Mock:  "Done deal, Ranger..."

2 weeks later, I was at Fort Benning, getting ready to get my ass kicked all over again.  :laffs:

If you don't ask - you'll never know.  :thumbup::banana:

HOOOOOOO!!!   BOY!!!

I've dated enough of these ones to last me a LIFETIME!  Just because they're cute, little, and blonde - DOES NOT mean they are safe... 

Mantra to live by - Good from Far, but FAR from Good!...  

Tellin' you now...  :bitchslap:

I'm gonna have to dig up some serious GoPro footage of "nutso blonde chick," and post some vids.  I have a LIBRARY full of those things, going back YEARS...  :thumbup:

(^^^Got 18 police reports to back that up, too - those need to get posted sometime...)

Edited by 98Z5V

• 2 weeks later...