• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Swarovski dS 5-25x52 Riflescope 4A-I 71000

When I build something I always try to use the best possible product at the time.

I already have my mind made up for night sights,as it stands I chose the Milspec AN/PVS-30 Night Vision Clip-On

For glass I have been back and forth just about any quality scope I could imagine.

I like S&B, ZEISS Nightforce.

Yesterday I came across an ad for the Swarovski dS 5-25x52 Riflescope 4A-I 71000

https://aa.swarovskioptik.com/hunting/blog/Our_new_masterpiece_TheNewZ8i

I really really really love this scope the features this thing has is phenomenal.

I like how after reading your range and environmental variations it will dial in your dope and give you your offsets  using a red line..

What are your "Must-Have/Do when looking at something to fit your needs.

Between my clip on and scope I'm looking at $10-$13k, it's not a money game for me.

For me it's along the lines of this is going to be my ONE scope

2 hours ago, Ravenworks said:

For me it's along the lines of this is going to be my ONE scope

Great looking scope from a very respected maker, if I was only allowed one I might opt more the direction of a model with proven long term reliability than cutting edge tech, but I'm betting it will not really be your only scope 

I didn't find where they said anything about the illuminated reticle being NV capable?

2 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

I didn't find where they said anything about the illuminated reticle being NV capable?

Neither did I,I'll call them after the holidays.

The only concern I have is there is a lot of things that could break,however they are a top teir company.

It will be my only scope for the large AR platform.

I could see where a person could become lazy and forget how to do things,but I bet I could train a monkey to shoot long range with this.

Edited by Ravenworks

1 hour ago, Ravenworks said:

It will be my only scope for the large AR platform.

I could see where a person could become lazy and forget how to do things,but I bet I could train a monkey to shoot long range with this.

Elevation compensation is only 1 variable in the equation. Add erratic target movement, erratic wind changes, and possible thermals and wind variations betwixt shooter and target, that monkey will require a lot of training. That said, I know a Silverback that is mind-bogglingly good at significant distance.

3 hours ago, NTXshooter said:

I compared it to a lot of other scopes in the same price range and it was way brighter  and clearer than anything else I looked at.

The clarity is outstanding for any of their products.

What I hate most is when people have a decent rifle and throw a $99 Chinese POS scope on it.

I try to pay attention in class and my biggest pet peeves is quality barrel,trigger and glass.

In my younger years I could do just about anything with iron sights on my M1A out to 500 yards.

Now I'm trying to make life easier without overly complicating things.

With that,I have mixed feelings about the scope I originally posted about.

I'm starting to think less is more since I learned to do math the old fashioned way.

1 hour ago, Ravenworks said:

I'm starting to think less is more since I learned to do math the old fashioned way.

This will never let you down.  If the internal technology fails, and you don't know the math, it'll be a paperweight.  :thumbup:

If you've got all the basics, and you can function as your own backup in the event of a tech failure - then it's adding capability.  The scope will eliminate some of the math, and shorten up the cycle towards breaking the shot.

What kind of max distances are you looking at shooting?

No more than 800 yards.

Ideal situation would be urban overwatch.

I have Eagle nest on my property and have a lot of 13 acres buffer zones

ODNR doesn't want anyone close to those area's.

We have a1,000 yard range local but I have no desire to go past 800

Edited by Ravenworks

2 hours ago, Ravenworks said:

No more than 800 yards.

Ideal situation would be urban overwatch.

I have Eagle nest on my property and have a lot of 13 acres buffer zones

ODNR doesn't want anyone close to those area's.

We have a1,000 yard range local but I have no desire to go past 800

You don't need that much scope, then. You'll be fine with this one:

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-4-14x44mm-riflescope-acss-hud-dmr-308-223-reticle-pa4-14xffp308

I run that scope to 845 yards on a .308 bolt gun with BORING repeatability, regularly.  I run that same scope on two 5.56 guns, heavy loads, and do the same.  I run the same version of that scope, in mil-dot only, on a 6.5 Grendel gun, and a 25/45 gun, and get out to the same distance. 

Edited by 98Z5V

2 minutes ago, Ravenworks said:

I like the layout of the sight picture,for that price it wouldn't hurt to try it.

Yeah, compared to a $3,200 optic, when it does everything you stated you need - it won't hurt to try at all.

9 hours ago, Ravenworks said:

It's in Malvern Ohio.

Our apprenticeship from IUOE LOCAL 18 built it.

It was the 4th year apprentices project.

I came out of Washburn trade school, that's where our school was. Was closed in the 90's then they found a place in the city to remodel. It's old, tired and in a $hit neighborhood.

Edited by unforgiven
Amnesia