• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Texan hits a bull’s eye over 2 miles away with world record shot

There needs to be some criteria set down for these “long distance records “. Repeatability needs to be worked into the formula, not taking away from this mans skills but one hit at two miles is not near as impressive to me as hitting the bullseye repeatedly at a 1,000 yards. Even a blind squirrel can occasionally find an acorn.

17 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

So was 3,540 meters

That's harsh. Does anyone know anything that compares to this? I mean; a .45 ACP to the throat is cool at 200 yards... But this makes me question everything about making rifles. Is he shooting sub-atomic particles?

I tried to go to sleep; but this thing kept kicking me in the brain. Turns out that the Houston Warehouse is the key here. If those superior firearms were shooting at 0.010" MOA at 100 yards; that's 0.1" MOA at 1,000 yards. At 4,000 yards it is still shooting less than half an inch groups; assuming everything else is working in your favor of course... I guess that's the high water mark on the wall here.

You might want to notice that it may have taken many shots and several hold overs ( forward observers directing to hold left 8, hold up 10 . etc.,etc.)

We did this in field artillery at 29 Palms with  little 105mm towed guns back in the 1960s for ranges in miles, not to mention the 8" guns!

6 hours ago, Lane said:

If those superior firearms were shooting at 0.010" MOA at 100 yards; that's 0.1" MOA at 1,000 yards. 

Not sure what you mean by mixing inches/MOA. The MOA is angular measurement, and the inch linear.

1MOA at 100 yards and 1MOA at 1000 are the same angle. What will differ by a factor of 10 is the diameter of the imaginary circle than defines sub-MOA accuracy. At 100 yards that diameter for 1 MOA will be 1.047", at 1,000 1MOA = 10.47". 

In short, without the MOA notation, what you said makes perfect sense to me, and I'm curious if you were just calling out the linear measurement rather than the angular.

42 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

Not sure what you mean by mixing inches/MOA. The MOA is angular measurement, and the inch linear.

You got me; I was tired. It was about 4 am here, and I had numbers on the brain. I should have absolutely written 0.010 MOA at 100 yards.

11 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

LOL

I apologize for this slightly shitty post. I do almost all math in my head with approximations, bit shifting base 10, slicing numbers for fast multiplication (and summing at the end). That is why I write in string when talking about those critical numbers in a general way. I rarely use a calculator for anything at all; outside of calculus or money. 

I will do my best to remember that when I post in the broader community of practitioners; I will need to press those calculator keys for accuracy (and to avoid confusion). 

I want to see your shooting; pretty sure you have a much wider breadth of scope and experience than I can get here at home. I see a bumper sticker around here now and then; it says: "I ain't no flat lander". I have no access to that kind of distance testing up here, or anywhere nearby. But I surmise that the bullet flight over 2+ miles is some disturbing blend of gun accuracy, shooting accuracy, and lucky and/or favorable conditions. Totally melting my brain still as I write this...

Does he understand the keyhole in time to ns resolution?

10 minutes ago, Lane said:

I apologize for this slightly shitty post. I do almost all math in my head with approximations, bit shifting base 10, slicing numbers for fast multiplication (and summing at the end). That is why I write in string when talking about those critical numbers in a general way. I rarely use a calculator for anything at all; outside of calculus or money. 

I will do my best to remember that when I post in the broader community of practitioners; I will need to press those calculator keys for accuracy (and to avoid confusion). 

I want to see your shooting; pretty sure you have a much wider breadth of scope and experience than I can get here at home. I see a bumper sticker around here now and then; it says: "I ain't no flat lander". I have no access to that kind of distance testing up here, or anywhere nearby. But I surmise that the bullet flight over 2+ miles is some disturbing blend of gun accuracy, shooting accuracy, and lucky and/or favorable conditions. Totally melting my brain still as I write this...

Does he understand the keyhole in time to ns resolution?

We're all brothers here man, knock it off with the apologizing, you're making me feel like a dick. My brain doesn't work any better after midnight than anyone else's, which is pretty sad because usually in those circumstances everyone else is pretty liquored up and I'm not. Anyway, you're completely good to go brother, don't sweat the small stuff.

That 2 mile shot is nothing less than miraculous, no matter how you cut it.

11 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

That 2 mile shot is nothing less than miraculous, no matter how you cut it.

That was my point early on with the extraneous """"" marks. The external ballistics in this matter; really matters. I'm just a guy that like to make stuff; this kind of accuracy makes me feel all sorts of weird. 

"There needs to be some criteria set down for these “long distance records “. Repeatability needs to be worked into the formula, not taking away from this mans skills but one hit at two miles is not near as impressive to me as hitting the bullseye repeatedly at a 1,000 yards. Even a blind squirrel can occasionally find an acorn."

We were only seeing a small part of what went on that day to finally nail down a hit on the target.  I'm wondering how many rounds were fired before they finally landed one on the 36" steel plate?  It didn't appear they backed it up with another hit, so it does sort of fall into the category of if you shoot enough rounds down range with very good equipment and excellent support you'll eventually work a round onto the target.

Even with that said It's still a great accomplishment, and I know from shooting High Power matches using an match grade M-14 with a peep sight at 1000 yards that none of it just comes by accident, and the wind becomes a HUGE player at really long distances.........Cliff