• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I Love My Wife [Part II]

COBrien

As most of y’all know, I’ve been wanting to pick up a “do-all” rifle suppressor for a couple of years now. Kids and bills have prevented that. Every time I get some cash stuck back, well, you know how the story goes. 

Today, after stopping off at Harbor Freight, my wife says, “I need to run by the jeweler’s [lifelong friend of mine, also FFL and SOT] to get something for my mom.”

So we run by. I’m perusing his stock of Christensen Arms and Bergara rifles when the wife walks up and hands me one of their gift bags. “Happy 5th Anniversary and Father’s Day,” she says. 

Inside is a Griffin Armament 30SD, complete with a 5/8-24 brake, 1/2-28 flash hider, and MOLLE carrying case. 

For years she’s been telling me I didn’t need a can. Then she bought me one. I just have to go back on Monday with our NFA Trust documents to do the Form 4...

Oh, and before any of you fvckers asks... No, she doesn’t have a sister. 😂😂

3 hours ago, COBrien said:

Oh, and before any of you fvckers asks... No, she doesn’t have a sister. 😂😂

DAMNIT!!!   I was SERIOUSLY gonna ask you that, too!...   :laffs:

Good score on the suppressor, brother!   :thumbup:

Thanks for the well wishes, fellas!

Getting all the shite together now... Form 4s started, Form 23s started, trust document copied, fingerprints done, $200 cashier's check in hand. Just need the info off the can and some passport photos of myself and the wife, and we'll be off to the races. The long, slow, methodical, 9 to 11 month races...

I have to say, though, I did have a fun little exchange with a teller at my bank this morning...

Me: "Hi, I need a cashier's check for $200, please."

Her: "Okay. Who should I make it out to?"

Me: "ATF."

Her: "ATF? Wait, like, the ATF?"

Me: "Yes, ma'am."

Her: "...." *Blank stare, mixture of confusion and maybe fear on her face*

8 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

After Trumps statement that he doesn't like suppressors I would expect the wait time to increase considerably.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-marine-one-departure-46/

Hmm... And all this time he’s claimed to be pro-2A. Methinks his desk might be the place a Hearing Protection Act would go to die. 

Well, got everything sent off today via USPS Priority. Should be there Monday.

I didn't realize, until after I'd already gotten everything together (but just before I sealed up the envelope...) that the FD-258 fingerprint cards MUST HAVE ATF's correct ORI information. Since mine were done by the local PD (I know some folks there...), the cards had the PD's ORI. This, apparently, is a no-no.

So I -- very carefully -- whited out the PD's ORI info and wrote in ATF's ORI info. My understanding is that ATF will place a pre-printed ORI sticker on them, but I wanted to be safe.

Now we wait. I'll call my bank in a couple of weeks and see if the cashier's check has been deposited.

• 3 weeks later...

USPS shows my Forms arrived in Oregon on 06/09/19.

ATF NFA Desk says they were received 06/11/19.

Bank says cashier's check was cashed on 06/12/19.

NFA Desk says average processing time is ~9 months. She seemed annoyed that I asked, so I didn't press her on whether that was for individuals or trusts. Either way, it'll get done when it gets done...

This site will give you a better idea in real time;

https://www.nfatracker.com/

It was a little behind the curve when I bought mine but that was right before the trust rule changes so the volume was real heavy then. I remember Silencer Shop saying the new system they gave the atf was going to cut wait time to 3 months.....still waiting to see that!

3 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

This site will give you a better idea in real time;

https://www.nfatracker.com/

It was a little behind the curve when I bought mine but that was right before the trust rule changes so the volume was real heavy then. I remember Silencer Shop saying the new system they gave the atf was going to cut wait time to 3 months.....still waiting to see that!

I’ve been checking NFA Tracker for several months now. Strangely, F4 Trust shows ~9 months, if I’m reading that correctly. I wonder if ATF checks NFA Tracker... Lol!

17 hours ago, sketch said:

its hard enough to pass the time and forget about a can in jail,  when you guys constantly remind me!! 

I'm currently shopping for something to help me pass the time (in addition to rifles for my kids...).

Thinking about a Ruger American Rimfire Target in .22WMR.
Or maybe a Mossberg MVP Predator in .308. Or should I go .223?
Or, what about a Rem 700 SPS Tac AAC-SD?
And, weirdly, that Charter Arms Pitbull in .45 ACP looks interesting, for a $450 revolver...

Maybe I'll just piddle with my 10/22s. I need to figure out why one trigger won't reset, and I need to change out the front sight on the other one -- I thought a globe front sight would be super cool, but it wasn't. At all.

Oh, and I can mount up my El Cheapo Weaver 3-12x50 on that second rifle and shoot some groups. Maybe even send the barrel off to have the chamber set back, and get the bolt blueprinted. And bed it.

Dammit. I don't have to buy guns to spend money on guns...

Edited by COBrien

8 hours ago, COBrien said:

I'm currently shopping for something to help me pass the time (in addition to rifles for my kids...).

Thinking about a Ruger American Rimfire Target in .22WMR.

That's a great rifle, and alot like the Savage Mark II FV-SR.  You can only get the FV-SR in .22LR - if you were going for that round, I'd suggest the Savage over the Ruger, but in .22WMR, that Ruger won't disappoint you at all.

Or maybe a Mossberg MVP Predator in .308. Or should I go .223?

I have a 5.56 MVP (they don't chamber it in .223 Rem, just 5.56 NATO).  In the .308 Win round, I have the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle, just because it came out years before the Mossberg variants did.  They're both great guns.

Or, what about a Rem 700 SPS Tac AAC-SD?

That one is my go-to distance bolt gun in .308.  After I threw that awesome X-Mark Pro trigger in the trash and replaced it with a Timney, it's been a rock star at every shoot we've had out here.  GREAT bolt gun!

And, weirdly, that Charter Arms Pitbull in .45 ACP looks interesting, for a $450 revolver...

Maybe I'll just piddle with my 10/22s. I need to figure out why one trigger won't reset, and I need to change out the front sight on the other one -- I thought a globe front sight would be super cool, but it wasn't. At all.

If you want to send me that trigger pack, I'll fix that for you and turn it right back around. I've got tons of Ruger 10/22 parts. 

Oh, and I can mount up my El Cheapo Weaver 3-12x50 on that second rifle and shoot some groups. Maybe even send the barrel off to have the chamber set back, and get the bolt blueprinted. And bed it.

Dammit. I don't have to buy guns to spend money on guns...

Comments above in red.   :thumbup:

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Comments above in red.   :thumbup:

King Enabler!

Thanks for all the info — I read that to say I’ve got pretty good taste in rifles. 😂

And your lack of comment re: Charter Arms was conspicuous. 🤣

Re: That trigger group, it was reworked by Brimstone several years ago. I suspect I’ve got some FOD in the return spring hole and/or a touch of grease is needed there. I just haven’t taken an opportunity to strip it down and check it out. This group is in the SS/laminate rifle  

Truth is, my 10/22s got shelved when my LR308 followed me home. They were my babies until I contracted BRD. 

93366E26-5DF6-42F4-9D85-1CFEAE2532C6.jpeg

1189D0D2-0330-41C3-99B7-494D6BFC9661.jpeg

1 minute ago, COBrien said:

And your lack of comment re: Charter Arms was conspicuous. 🤣

Just zero hands-on experience with those, so I can't really comment.  Read plenty of reviews, which are good - but I've never shot them or owned them, so I'll stay out of that as far as comments on it go...  :thumbup:

If I comment on something, I either own it, shot it, fucked it, fought it, rode it, drove it, or almost died trying to get away from it...   :banana:

2 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

fucked it, fought it, rode it, drove it, or almost died trying to get away from it...   :banana:

My two ex-wives and one ex-GF fall into this category...   I'm lucky to even be here with you all right now... I shiit you not...   :laffs:

13 hours ago, COBrien said:

@98Z5V I got to checking out Savage's bolt-action rimfires over the weekend. Seems to me the 93FV SR is pert-near identical to your Mark II-FV SR...

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=93207

NICE FIND, BROTHER!!!!   I'll check into that one.  Right away, it will need a mil-dot scope, Boyd's TactiCool stock and DIP bottom metal.  I love my Mark II FV-SR, it's a badass little bolt gun, for all things .22LR.  I've found myself dreaming that it had just a little more punch, though.  This will solve that.   :thumbup:

Damn, then I need to paint it like this one...  

image.png.395e18654c4061656fc9e934e9d31d2a.png

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

NICE FIND, BROTHER!!!!   I'll check into that one.  Right away, it will need a mil-dot scope, Boyd's TactiCool stock and DIP bottom metal.  I love my Mark II FV-SR, it's a badass little bolt gun, for all things .22LR.  I've found myself dreaming that it had just a little more punch, though.  This will solve that.   :thumbup:

Damn, then I need to paint it like this one...  

image.png.395e18654c4061656fc9e934e9d31d2a.png

I started looking at DIP’s website. They’re selling a package with the Boyd’s stock (I’m partial to OD Green...) and bottom metal. Also checked into a Rifle Basix trigger. I haven’t asked, but I think my friend/pusher can get me into a 93 FV-SR for $300-350. Then glass. Then a 25 MOA base. Then that DIP stock/hardware package. Then some Savage 10 rounders. Then...

Damn.

Damn, damn, DAMN. 

Also...  check out the 93R17 FV-SR. If you’re into teeny-eensy bullets, that is.