• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Lost My Shooting Partner Today

Cliff R

Thanks.  Sadie took her first walk with us this morning, covered about 1/2 mile in the woods behind the house, she stayed right with us, very attentive, and chased a few ground squirrels with the older dogs.   She also comes right to us when we called her.  Looks like she's going to be a keeper!.......Cliff

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks.  Now I've got to spend the next year or so turning her into a killing machine like Sam was.  That little dog was absolutely fearless and never lost a fight with anything around here.

Every spring she'd start finding dens of young groundhogs and start piling them up in the yard, usually 1 or 2 a day till she got all of them, then on to another batch.......Cliff

IMG_2128.JPG

8 hours ago, Cliff R said:

Thanks.  Now I've got to spend the next year or so turning her into a killing machine like Sam was.  That little dog was absolutely fearless and never lost a fight with anything around here.

Every spring she'd start finding dens of young groundhogs and start piling them up in the yard, usually 1 or 2 a day till she got all of them, then on to another batch.......Cliff

IMG_2128.JPG

Groundhogs are badass! I had one that took up residence in my back yard. I popped him with a full choke 12 guage at around 15 or 20 yards. I rolled him over but the SOB ran back to his hole and died, ready to fight. They're tough! Don't let your loved ones (canine or human) get too close.

Yep, Sam is the little one guarding her fresh kill.  She was also lightning quick and caught her fair share of ground squirrels and rabbits in her younger years.  She's 12 years old in that pic but you'd never know she was much over 4 or 5. 

Groundhogs are tough for sure.  I whacked a couple last week on a fresh cut hay field with my RR AR-15 set up for varmint hunting.  Not uncommon to plow them pretty good with M193 or 855 full metal jacket and a minute or two later see them dragging themselves back to their holes. 

I have a bald Eagle that watches my hunts so I make sure they don't complete that journey.  He moves in quickly, and it's cool as chit to watch any buzzards that wonder in sit back and wait for him to finish before they eat.....it's called "respect".........Cliff

IMG_1011.jpg