• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Lost My Shooting Partner Today

Cliff R

Don't think she's missed an outing in the last 15 years, and loved to chase groundhogs, deer, or any other critters off the range we have set up on my brothers farm.   Last two pics are from our last walk in the woods yesterday.

She will truly be missed.......Cliff

IMG_0961.JPG

IMG_4986.JPG

IMG_4997.JPG

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s always a tough day. I’m sorry right along with you. Pups are such great companions and truly man’s best friend. Sounds like you each did your job and took good care of one another through the long time shared.  My condolences. 

I feel for you Cliff, we had to put one of our remaining two down Thursday. She was already blind and deaf for the last year, and started to develop seizures three weeks ago and they increased in frequency and pain. We knew it was time but it still hurts. Condolences to you and your family on your loss.87A0F1AB-10BD-4238-8F7C-1062AF66F367.thumb.jpeg.22be6456d7fc9f7279b76e0d84dfdc6f.jpeg

Thanks guys.  I've had some good dogs over the years but Dutchess was the best, and she will surely be missed around here.  Doesn't help that I like my dog more than most people. 

If you ever think your wife loves you more than your dog.......lock them both up in a trunk for half an hour and see which one is glad to see you when you get back!....LOL........Cliff

14 minutes ago, Cliff R said:

Thanks guys.  I've had some good dogs over the years but Dutchess was the best, and she will surely be missed around here.  Doesn't help that I like my dog more than most people. 

If you ever think your wife loves you more than your dog.......lock them both up in a trunk for half an hour and see which one is glad to see you when you get back!....LOL........Cliff

:lmao:

"I seen your post on Arboristsite, seems like you joined the same year as me."

Yep, I only have a couple of websites that I belong to.  Cut a LOT of wood here, and just cleared a new piece of property I just bought so have another 70 tops to take care of this Fall.

Dutchess was always with me cutting wood or on the range shooting.  Damned good squirrel dog too.  She never grumbled much, and if she could have I'm sure she would have loaded all that wood in the trailer for me.......Cliff

IMG_0791.thumb.JPG.c195c65f1bba5bef01b6761206d13bc9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to all for the kind words.  Still somewhat in mourning here and probably will be for a while.  I'm reminded of her a lot especially when me and her "puppies" take a walk.

Duchess had a good life and a long one.  She enjoyed her time here with us, no regrets.  Before she had here last seizure and didn't recover it was the last thing I said to her, "we sure had a good run didn't we girl?"

Anyhow, waiting for things to cool down here so we can check our 308 AR's at the range before heading out to Colorado in a few months.  I'll make sure to post a few pics from the range........Cliff

Oak Tree Photos 008.jpg

When I lost my Chocolate Lab Missy back in 2003 I told myself I wasn't going to get another dog.  I was a few months from retiring and moving back to Ohio to build a house on the new property we had recently purchased.  I so much wanted Missy to enjoy it with us, but knew that here days were numbered as she was supposed to die 3 years earlier and the Vet told me that I should put her down (cancer).  I looked at him and told him to cut all that cancer out of her and give her back to me, and the cost isn't even part of the equation.  He did what I asked and she was cancer free for the next 3 years, then it came back just like he said it would.

Missy was at my side for 15 1/2 years, never even knew what a leash was.  If she was here today she'd be laying at my feet or in my lap.  She was my dog from the first day we brought her home right to the end.  Sure, Deb and kids could get some of her attention, but I even acted like I was going to get up she'd come running right over too me no matter what was going on elsewhere.

I took it really hard when she passed, and Deb offered to get me another dog but I told her I didn't want to go thru that again.  My daughter Stephanie came in here at Christmas 2004 with Duchess.  Really surprised me as it was totally unexpected, and I really didn't think I was ready anyhow.  She didn't weigh 2 pounds, and fit in the palm of my hand.  She took to me instantly, and worked and worked to crawl up my pant leg to get in the chair with me.  She fell asleep in my lap that night, and till a couple of weeks ago that's where she was every evening.  She didn't pay anyone else around here much mind, was my dog and my dog alone her entire life. 

Some things just happen that way, and it makes it difficult to move on to another one knowing one day you'll have to go thru it all over again.

I'm sure you felt much the same way about Kona, it's hard brother, hope you get another good one.........Cliff