• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

.45 AR showed up at my house today.

Peachey

So lo and behold, I join this forum, we discuss my PA10 a bit, and guess what? My little brother (29 this year, how time flies) shows up to show off his new AR45. 

My husband was still sleeping (night shift worker) so naturally I had to be first to "inspect" it lol. First thing he says is that it's hard recoiling. So I blurt out all loud and proud, #1 gas system, #2 recoil system, gotta work together little bro!! Whoops, guess I should have looked before I spoke, #1 doesn't even exist! 

I did manage to save some face though and compared his buffer to a standard PSA carbine buffer, same monster. Same spring it appears too. So we know that's a potential problem. 

Next thing he says is "gotta add a bolt catch". So I looked at it, it's milled out like a standard AR bolt catch area in the lower, but there's no way a magazine follower can get anywhere near it to trip it. Apparently that just won't do for him. I have zero clue about these things and their quirks, but it was really cool getting to be half right and at least informed enough to have a legit conversation about it. 

He wound up leaving with one of our reloading manuals, which was the whole point in coming over to begin with, to do some research before my husband gets him on the press to start loading .45. 

I never thought to snap some pics when he was there, but I'll get some when we go shoot this weekend. He's so butt hurt about the bolt catch, that he may give the lower to my husband. I wonder if there isn't something missing that we're just not familiar with.

So yeah, just figured y'all would get a kick of my little whoops moment, and I promise I'll have some pics and specs to post this weekend. 

Soak up the stuff in this section - lot's of recent developments in PCCs, and the new info out there as far as springs.  Sprinco Orange Spring, minimum, have a Sprinco Red Spring standing by to test out.  Pistol buffer, for sure - 4 1/8" long and at least 7oz, minimum.  Blowback operation is rough on these things, and we found out with the 10mm "lite" guys lately, the .40 cal PCCs. 

KNS non-rotating pin set.  Blowback operated pistol builds will break hammer pins.  The KNS set minimizes that as much as it can.

Haha, I actually told him about the Sprinco Orange spring from our conversation last night! I guess I'll have two of those on my shopping list now. This was apparently a piece build buy a coworker of his that needed the cash. Honestly, I'm more proud of him wanting to start reloading now than anything else. We've all but begged him to get into it with us, now that he's in the .45 arena it's financially justifiable for him. 

Just now, Peachey said:

Haha, I actually told him about the Sprinco Orange spring from our conversation last night! I guess I'll have two of those on my shopping list now.

Get the Orange for your .308AR - have him get a Red Spring for that 45AR.  You can test them both that way...   You'll need the Orange, he'll probably need the Red over the Orange, anyway.  :thumbup: I'm trying out an Armalite EA1095 spring in my 45AR soon - when I can beat the heat here.  I'll raid an Orange spring from my .260 Rem to try in it.

9 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Get the Orange for your .308AR - have him get a Red Spring for that 45AR.  You can test them both that way...   You'll need the Orange, he'll probably need the Red over the Orange, anyway.  :thumbup: I'm trying out an Armalite EA1095 spring in my 45AR soon - when I can beat the heat here.  I'll raid an Orange spring from my .260 Rem to try in it.

Ok cool. Sounds like a plan. If we keep this up we'll just have to get on the forum "family plan" lol.

2 minutes ago, Peachey said:

Ok cool. Sounds like a plan. If we keep this up we'll just have to get on the forum "family plan" lol.

You don't wanna do that...  It involves you completely committing 90% of all your "disposable income" to the recommendations of the board, in order for the board to further your Black Rifle Sickness - it's a deep drop down that rabbit hole once you take that step. 

***  You maintain 10% of your disposable income, for when you run out of bread, milk, shiit like that...   :laffs:

There have been several in the past that were brave enough to risk it, but the most recent guys to go down that road are @COBrien and @RedRiverII...   :lmao:

It is terrific fun and enjoyable,  to learn seemingly simple stuff learned the hard way,  and be able to save some folks some heartache.  In my case I took @98Z5V's advice and shared it with a LGS owner.  New respect and props earned,  but through @98Z5V's sweat.  Thank you Sir.  Credit where credit is due.  @Peachey I like the family plan idea,  it's better than my thick molasses and quicksand plan.  Sorta get pulled in and wonder how the heck I got here,  who am I to have three builds going on at once.  Once again fun stuff and very pleasing.

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

You don't wanna do that...  It involves you completely committing 90% of all your "disposable income" to the recommendations of the board, in order for the board to further your Black Rifle Sickness - it's a deep drop down that rabbit hole once you take that step. 

***  You maintain 10% of your disposable income, for when you run out of bread, milk, shiit like that...   :laffs:

There have been several in the past that were brave enough to risk it, but the most recent guys to go down that road are @COBrien and @RedRiverII...   :lmao:

Hey, now, I'm not that far gone.

I've just built a 5.56 for my wife;
a 5.56 for me;
a 5.56 for my FIL;
a .308 for me;
a .308 for my good friend; and
in-process on a matched pair of .22LRs for my kids (who are too young to shoot anything at this point, so let's be honest... those rifles are for myself and my wife for the next 8 years or so...).

Although, @Peachey, BE ADVISED -- @98Z5V is Enabler-In-Chief around here. Seriously. IIRC, one of his builds started with a gas tube roll pin. "Don't wanna lose this pin, I better pick up a gas block to stick it in. No sense in having a pinned gas block without a gas tube, so I probably ought to pick up a tube. Don't want the gas tube to get bent up banging around in my drawer, so I'd better get a barrel to install it on..." So on and so forth.

9 hours ago, Peachey said:

I'll just put my 10% remaining in the offering plate on Sunday. I mean think about it, AR's from .22-.308, pretty sure there's meat to be had there. I make some mean Squirrel & Dumplins.

Hey, do you mean nobody has done a .17 HRM?

OOps, my bad:

Did somebody say an AR .squirrelly gun?

Check it out here: https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2011/11/14/alexander-arms-17-hmr/

Alexander Arms .17 HMR

image.thumb.png.5bfda3285a40aecd4804b43c1032778d.png

Edited by mrmackc

9 hours ago, mrmackc said:

Hey, do you mean nobody has done a .17 HRM?

OOps, my bad:

Did somebody say an AR .squirrelly gun?

Check it out here: https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2011/11/14/alexander-arms-17-hmr/

Alexander Arms .17 HMR

image.thumb.png.5bfda3285a40aecd4804b43c1032778d.png

Ya know, we've never had any experience at all with a .17. He's looked at them in the stores and shows and such, but never bit the bullet so to speak.  I'm sure it'll happen one day lol.

12 hours ago, COBrien said:

Although, @Peachey, BE ADVISED -- @98Z5V is Enabler-In-Chief around here. Seriously. IIRC, one of his builds started with a gas tube roll pin. "Don't wanna lose this pin, I better pick up a gas block to stick it in. No sense in having a pinned gas block without a gas tube, so I probably ought to pick up a tube. Don't want the gas tube to get bent up banging around in my drawer, so I'd better get a barrel to install it on..." So on and so forth.

That really did happen, too.  :laffs:Then some smartass anonymously sent me a bag of 10 gas tube roll pins...  :lmao:

On 7/18/2019 at 9:11 PM, 98Z5V said:

Soak up the stuff in this section - lot's of recent developments in PCCs, and the new info out there as far as springs.  Sprinco Orange Spring, minimum, have a Sprinco Red Spring standing by to test out.  Pistol buffer, for sure - 4 1/8" long and at least 7oz, minimum.  Blowback operation is rough on these things, and we found out with the 10mm "lite" guys lately, the .40 cal PCCs. 

KNS non-rotating pin set.  Blowback operated pistol builds will break hammer pins.  The KNS set minimizes that as much as it can.

Maybe a little late jumping in here, from my limited experience increase buffer weight first, then catch up the with the heavier spring if needed. A light buffer/ heavy spring combo makes matters worse. 

Ok, so we got to shoot the .45 yesterday. Super fun little gun. Honestly, I didn't think anything of the recoil. I'll reserve my opinions of the "blade" arm support thing online, but there are some opinions lol. Multiple failures to feed, but we suspect it's a combination of varying OAL and lack of any feedramps whatsoever. It's just like it's crowned on muzzle and chamber ends and that's it. It ran 20 of my personal 1911 .45's flawlessly, which supports the OAL theory as mine are shorter to feed in a officers model.

The most serious issue however was that the barrel literally came off in little Bros hands! Evidently the guy that "built" it, didn't tighten the barrel nut! It's had hundreds of rounds at this point, but WTF?!? He noticed that the handguard was getting loose, twist it and it tightened up, decided to investigate, and that's when he discovered that it was the barrel nut itself he was twisting via the handguard. It was a carbon fiber looking tube type of handguard, so he just replaced it with a short rail style and marching barrel nut, but still..... Who doesn't tighten up the barrel nut?!?

Good news is the boys got it fixed right up and we continued to have a great day. Goes to show you always have to check other people's "work", especially if injury could result from it. I edited the S/N out of the pics just because it isn't mine and you never know online anymore.

IMG_20190721_194806546-01.jpeg

IMG_20190721_194817064-01.jpeg

New Frontier does some decent stuff, so its a good quality lower.  I'd bet the previous owner just bought all the parts from them, so looking at this product page will help you in identifying parts, especially that recoil system.   That's gonna be the #1 issue with cycling on these PCCs.

https://www.newfrontierarmory.com/product-category/ar-45-10-platform/

This might be what the guy started with, right here:

https://www.newfrontierarmory.com/shop/complete-c-45-pistol-lower-shockwave-pistol-brace/

That kit description already states that it's got an 8oz buffer, which is good - just make sure it's 4 1/8" in length.  Receiver extension internal depth needs to be 7.000". The spring is probably what's giving you the issues, but you know where to go on that one already.   :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

I found that the mags feed lips are a little tight. On my own mags I simply uprighted a bullet and removed it at 90* to spread the lips just a tad to give the round a little more hight. not scientific but might help on feeding issues. You could find a smarter way but this worked in a pinch for me. 

22 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

New Frontier does some decent stuff, so its a good quality lower.  I'd bet the previous owner just bought all the parts from them, so looking at this product page will help you in identifying parts, especially that recoil system.   That's gonna be the #1 issue with cycling on these PCCs.

https://www.newfrontierarmory.com/product-category/ar-45-10-platform/

This might be what the guy started with, right here:

https://www.newfrontierarmory.com/shop/complete-c-45-pistol-lower-shockwave-pistol-brace/

That kit description already states that it's got an 8oz buffer, which is good - just make sure it's 4 1/8" in length.  Receiver extension internal depth needs to be 7.000". The spring is probably what's giving you the issues, but you know where to go on that one already.   :thumbup:

Yes I do😀 We brought the rounds that failed to feed home with all the spent brass. They really smacked the chamber pretty hard. Most of them have a deep gouge in the projectile and set back into the brass pretty far. I'll snap a pic whenever we sort the brass out and I find them. 

I'm just glad he investigated further about the whole barrel nut fiasco. I was shocked to say the least walking up to the pop tent and seeing it in two pieces lol.

2 minutes ago, sketch said:

I found that the mags feed lips are a little tight. On my own mags I simply uprighted a bullet and removed it at 90* to spread the lips just a tad to give the round a little more hight. not scientific but might help on feeding issues. You could find a smarter way but this worked in a pinch for me. 

You can set the ejector height on those New Frontier lowers, brother - that's right in the FAQ on the complete-lower link I made above.  That's gotta be checked first, and dump that spring.

3 minutes ago, sketch said:

Ah another pic I forgot to get!!! The left side feed lip is bent at the very back on both mags he has. We assumed they got dropped, but discovered that they were hitting the (what I'd call) ejector. If they weren't bent there then the mags won't catch apparently. Glad you brought that up, I completely forgot about that little gem. I was enjoying my PBR around the bonfire when that conversation happened lol.

3 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

You can set the ejector height on those New Frontier lowers, brother - that's right in the FAQ on the complete-lower link I made above.  That's gotta be checked first, and dump that spring.

Bwahahaha, I just read that too! Wow y'all are quick.