• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Real life A2 rear sight experience

So I recently received some cheapo auction site 45° offset fixed A2 sights. As was to be expected, since they are cheap, the rear windage adjuster was supper loose and sloppy. 

Hubby took them to work and made a shim washer type thing to add between the screw head and body of the sight to tighten it up some. Basically pulling the adjuster knob inward by pushing the screw outward. If that makes sense lol. 

Keep in mind that these are only backups, only meant for less than 100yd emergency usage. Would any of you experienced guys see any use in needing to finger adjust the windage knob on the fly? After it's initially zeroed I can't think of a reason I'd need too considering it's purpose, but I figured I'd get y'all's opinions.

6 minutes ago, Peachey said:

any use in needing to finger adjust the windage knob on the fly? After it's initially zeroed I can't think of a reason I'd need too considering it's purpose, but I figured I'd get y'all's opinions.

Nope, once it's set, it's set.  :thumbup:

Just now, Peachey said:

@98Z5V I don't think I'd even attempt past 100yds to be honest. These are literally just making me feel covered in case something ever went screwy with the scope. I've kinda put my whole 3 gun idea on the back burner for now, so they're literally backups. 

Zero those things for 50 yards then.  You'll be slightly low at 25 yards, 2.5" low at 7 yards, and about 3-ish" high at 100 yards.  That's a good average over that distance, for a .308 Win round. 

This was a 50-yard zero on a red dot, co-witnessed through the irons (same as shooting the irons).  Target is 100 yards, point of aim was dead center, top of white square.  Impacts are 3-ish inches up from point of aim. It works good for .308 and irons, overall, through that range of just about zero, to the 100 yards.  :thumbup:

5c05f4ad2642db049158f8727d4f0d6290d05cd3

9 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Zero those things for 50 yards then.  You'll be slightly low at 25 yards, 2.5" low at 7 yards, and about 3-ish" high at 100 yards.  That's a good average over that distance, for a .308 Win round. 

This was a 50-yard zero on a red dot, co-witnessed through the irons (same as shooting the irons).  Target is 100 yards, point of aim was dead center, top of white square.  Impacts are 3-ish inches up from point of aim. It works good for .308 and irons, overall, through that range of just about zero, to the 100 yards.  :thumbup:

5c05f4ad2642db049158f8727d4f0d6290d05cd3

Will do! Excellent advice and preemptively answered my next opinion question lolol!! 

That was about my last shooting day before Arizona Heat hit me, beginning of June.  Too effin' hot to shoot here in the summer, unless you shoot a night shoot, when the "low" is 90.

I rode that short .308 out to 400 yards that day, red dot only (will be the same for irons).  Here's about what you'll expect from a 50-yard zero on yours.  It'll be a little different, on your 18" barrel over my 13.5" barrel, but not by much out to that 400 distance.  You're golden out to 300, and it turns into a crapshoot after that.  Details here:

9 hours ago, Peachey said:

Hubby took them to work and made a shim washer type thing to add between the screw head and body of the sight to tighten it up some. Basically pulling the adjuster knob inward by pushing the screw outward. If that makes sense lol. 

Keep in mind that these are only backups, only meant for less than 100yd emergency usage. Would any of you experienced guys see any use in needing to finger adjust the windage knob on the fly? After it's initially zeroed I can't think of a reason I'd need too considering it's purpose, but I figured I'd get y'all's opinions.

Inside the windage knob "should" have been a hole with a ball bearing and a spring in it. That right there should have taken up any play that the screw would have had. With NM sights, there are 2 holes and 2 ball bearings and springs. 

7 hours ago, mrraley said:

Inside the windage knob "should" have been a hole with a ball bearing and a spring in it. That right there should have taken up any play that the screw would have had. With NM sights, there are 2 holes and 2 ball bearings and springs. 

Correct, it "should" lol. However the screw itself was too long and the ball could almost fall out of the gap between the knob and body. Which in turn made the adjustment clicks loose and too easy to turn (like brush your arm against it and turn 5 clicks!). So in essence, the shim he made just shifted the screw to the left, which made the gap on the right non existent. The shim could be thinner and allow the ball and spring to work as designed, but I kinda like it over tight like this. As is, there's still a audible click and positive stop, but it takes some serious effort to twist. It definitely won't be accidentally adjusted lol.

4 hours ago, Peachey said:

That is too nice! Thank you so much. I've got it on the back burner at the moment, but I'll be in touch soon about it. Once again, y'all are the best out there!

He won't toot his own horn, but when he says he can fix anything-AR, it's real.  Since he won't too his own horn, I'll just say you were offered to have a repair made by the Chief Armorer at Armalite, for a long, long time...  He spent a long time doing that...   :hail:

If I could reach out and give him a pants-down hug right now, I would, without hesitation...   :thumbup::laffs:

I think I found his wallet...

tumblr_miikop1g7n1qg4blro1_500.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

14 minutes ago, Peachey said:

@mrmackc @98Z5V Wow! I really don't know what else to say. Just, Wow! I had no idea. How awesome is that?!?

It's a pretty humbling experience, having him here, and just being able to say "he's a friend."  You know, his wallet and all...  :laffs:

If you look through this specific section here - he wrote ALL of those.  All of them...   :hail:

https://forum.308ar.com/forum/125-raleys-tech-corner/

• 2 weeks later...