• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DO NOT BUY F1 FIREARMS UPPERS

Nocturnalham

Started building an AR10 chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. Ordered a barrel from BSF and the upper, lower and handguard from f1. The feed ramps on the upper are too short and the ramps on the barrel protruded past them by about 1/16 inch. I'm new at this so I went to several gun smiths who didn't know how to help me until the last one told me the feed ramps on the f1 upper were out of spec. I contacted f1 about it and they played dumb and told me that it should not be an issue. So I finally built the dang thing and did a cycling check with the charging handle. No feeding problems occurred but there are some scratches on the bullets. The rounds go straight up the barrel extension and don't even touch the upper feed ramps. Not a huge problem, but still annoying. I called BSF to get their two cents and they said that they have seen this before from f1. Apparently f1 has an ar10 problem. BSF has told them that their poop is out of spec but they just haven't gotten around to fixing it. Like I said, it's not a big deal, but it just grinds my gears that a well known company like f1 has not only sent me a defective product, but has also refused to admit that their measurements were wrong. DONT BUY 308 UPPERS FROM F1 FIREARMS! THIS KIND OF NEGLIGENCE IS UNACCEPTABLE!

Also, will scratches on the bullets affect accuracy?

Cycling live rounds into the chamber, only to be hand-ejected, is always gonna scratch them - the ejector is pushing them right, into the barrel extension lugs, upon extraction.

What distance you shoot to is when it might show an accuracy issue.  The longer you take it, the more it might affect it. No way to know without pics of what you're talking about here.

Nocturnal Ham, eh?  Like "night pig?" I like it...   :laffs:Go hit the Intro Section and stick around for awhile... 

Edited by 98Z5V

4 minutes ago, blue109 said:

Am I seeing holes through the top of the receiver? 

F1 is the Swiss cheese of the AR world, they cut out every last bit they dare. Apparently they are trying to cut more weight with deeper feed ramps. 
I was going to suggest a few barrel nut shims between the extension and the receiver but that’s a pretty deep stack of shims to flush that out.

Those feedramps are easily fixable with a Dremel chainsaw sharpening bit, and a steady hand, and about 15 minutes of time.  Little bit of Flitz in a rod wrapped in cleaning patches afterwards, and you'd never be able to tell it wasn't like that from the factory.  This is much less serious than it sounded in the first post.

Edited by 98Z5V

On 12/4/2019 at 10:00 PM, 98Z5V said:

Those feedramps are easily fixable with a Dremel chainsaw sharpening bit, and a steady hand, and about 15 minutes of time.  Little bit of Flitz in a rod wrapped in cleaning patches afterwards, and you'd never be able to tell it wasn't like that from the factory.  This is much less serious than it sounded in the first post.

^^^^That right there!

I'm surprised that several gunsmiths didn't "know how to help you". That is an easy fix and 98 described exactly how to do it.

• 11 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:39 PM, 98Z5V said:

I've seen M4 feedramps before, that go all the way to the bottom edge of the receiver, brother.  If that was my dream gun, I'd make it work and wouldn't think twice about it...  :thumbup:

You would indeed sir! LOL, wouldn't keep you awake at night either would it?? LOL

1 hour ago, billymagg said:

You would indeed sir! LOL, wouldn't keep you awake at night either would it?? LOL

Didn't bother me two weeks ago, out in the dirt, when we got a friend's Big AR recoil system straight - only to find out that his gas port needed a little attention.  We had a 0.093" drill bit, and a battery powered drill.  Couple guys were like "I don't want to do that out here, you know, not right now..."

Gimme that drill, get out of the way.  :bitchslap:   Drop the tailgate on your truck, and turn that light on.  I got this....

Gun ran like a champ after that, too.  20" rifle gas system.  Needed 0.093" gas port anyway.   

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Didn't bother me two weeks ago, out in the dirt, when we got a friend's Big AR recoil system straight - only to find out that his gas port needed a little attention.  We had a 0.093" drill bit, and a battery powered drill.  Couple guys were like "I don't want to do that out here, you know, not right now..."

Gimme that drill, get out of the way.  :bitchslap:   Drop the tailgate on your truck, and turn that light on.  I got this....

Gun ran like a champ after that, too.  20" rifle gas system.  Needed 0.093" gas port anyway.   

Yes it did my friend, no doubt it did, that's exactly where the "Dirty Little Thirty" is sitting right now,, and yes waiting on those two heavy buffers from Brownell's is indeed like waiting on Christmas. I've got the 18 inch Tactical Hunter with your favorite "intermediate gas tube"! LOL damn thing. I know it will work with one of those heavy buffers, a damn fine single shot rifle as it is???

anyway, I stuck to Wilson Internals to avoid that trouble, I think I saw Rainier had a 4.6 oz heavy buffer in their buffer kit! I could probably buy an adjustable gas block, but I don't want to have to pull that stinkin handguard off again.. the small frame handguard is a lot different than the large frame.. and they only send you 1 barrel nut shim. In any regard, I'm hoping for cure with a 3.8 or a 4.6 buffer from Brownells, kinda ugly and plain, but it ought to do the trick...