• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

researching scopes..opinions on first focal plane vs the o

I've been researching the snot out of this topic.  My range and most ranges in my area only go out to 600 yds.  Without getting specific on my end here's what I learned this past year.  I may be wrong on some thoughts,  if I were certain a purchase would have been made on my end.  Primary Arms makes a decent scope with good glass.  Their warranty/guarantee is lacking in real time.  Can't go wrong with Leupold.  US Optics,  Night Force,  and Schmidt & Bender are the big three with top notch equipment.  Kahles is on top as well.  Burris and blank (  I'll fill that name in when 2nd coffee hits)  have been names in the industry for many years and have a rep for lower end scopes, but they make excellent high end scopes,  don't let the names fool ya!  

I haven't made a purchase for myself as I'm still thinking I can buy one and not buy a second scope.  Probably end up with three.  I have bought a couple of red dots but gave them away as gifts.  Holosun green dot is a well made piece of gear and not the highest priced either--- nephew received that one.   Gotta walk the pup,  I'll be watching this thread,  I really need help finally deciding on a scope for me.

First Focal Plane vs. Second Focal Plane is an easy one, as far as description.  Which plane is the reticle in?... 

In SFP scopes, the reticle doesn't change with magnification, and you have to be on a certain magnification level in order to use the ranging capabilities that the scope has - and it's only one setting.  Your Reticle, and your observed target, are not in the same plane. 

On most scopes, tht would be the highest magnification setting, in order to get the reticle and target in the same plane, and be able to range properly.  That's not always the case, though, and you have to know what the scope manufacturer states.  Example, Nikon Black X1000 scope, 6-24 power - you have to be on 18 power to range...

FFP scopes - this is easy - the reticle and target are in the same plane, all the time, and you can be in whatever power you want for range estimation. As you increase the magnification power, the target gets bigger in the objective, and so does the reticle, at the same rate. 

FFP scopes used to cost alot more than SFP scopes.  That's not really the case anymore. Before, if was only the really high-end scope manufacturers that even offered FFP scopes - not so now.  If you have the choice between SFP and FFP, and you'll need to range estimate out there, go with FFP, even if it's a few bucks more.   If all you do is shoot targets at known distances, on flat ranges, and those distances are always the same, then it won't matter what kind of scope you get.

You CAN range estimate with SFP scopes - you just have to make that extra step, and set it on the proper magnification level first...

What did I win?...   :popcorn:

Edited by 98Z5V