• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First build Aero

flyingfinn

While I'm waiting for the torque extension tool from Brownells I thought I would look into installing the muzzle brake.

I opened the package for the VG6 Gamma 762 I bought and looked at the product card expecting an installation procedure to be listed. Nope. Only a statement that it is to be installed by a qualified gunsmith. I am sure they know that most of their customer base is DIY. So it must be a product liability issue. I also checked their website for instructions. Nope. So, off to youtube and internet search. Couldn't find an installation procedure here while using the search function.

It's been a long time since I've worked with crush washers. But I believe I've got the process figured out. The only thing I question is whether or not to use a thread locker of some sort. It seems Rocksett is popular. But if I were to purchase a suppressor in the future a thread locker compound could make life difficult.

Edited by flyingfinn
sp.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, flyingfinn said:

It seems Rocksett is popular. But if I were to purchase a suppressor in the future a thread locker compound could make life difficult.

The accu-washer system is my go to, I set everything up for suppressors;

https://precisionarmament.com/product/accu-washer-system/

I use Rocksett, when I need to remove a muzzle device I stand the barrel in a bucket with water covering the muzzle device overnight, they turn right off then. I rarely use more than twenty ftlbs. of torque despite what the manufacturers recommend, have not had an issue to date. Saw a study years ago that showed evidence of higher torques causing accuracy to fall off.

I emailed VG6 inquiring about installation procedure for their brake. Unknown to me they are part of Aero Precision. Their reply was most excellent. Concise and to the point for someone who has never performed the task of installing a muzzle brake.

VG6 Precision Logo
Hello, 

Thanks for contacting us. There is not a true torque value for our muzzle devices however the muzzle device will need to be timed correctly and seat firmly against the crush washer.
Here is our installation instructions:
The proper method to install our VG6 muzzle devices is:
1. Clean and remove all debris from the barrel threads and muzzle device threads.
2. Slide the included crush washer onto the barrel with the crush washer’s conical tip touching the shoulder of the barrel.
3. Apply anti-seize to barrel threads.
4. Slowly, by hand, thread the muzzle device onto the barrel (making sure not to cross the threads).
5. Stop once the muzzle device bottoms out on the crush washer.
6. Secure your barrel in a nonmarring vice and make sure that your barrel does not move and that your barrel index pin will not be put under pressure.
7. Using an armorer’s wrench time the muzzle device (in a tightening clockwise manner) to have the VG6 logo at the 6 O’clock position (logo facing down).

Best Regards,
Davin O
Support team,
VG6 Precision

What they stated is not true, but it doesn't pertain to a crush washer - there is a direct minimum torque spec for the military, installing an A2 on a rifle, with peel washers, and it's 20lb/ft.  The military doesn't use crush washers.

Slap a crush washer over your barrel, fat end of the crush washer towards the barrel end. Thread the muzzle device on there until it makes contact with the crush washer.  You can "crush" a crush washer 540 degrees - that's 1.5 full turns.  Crush washers start to "crush" at 20lb/ft, and they maintain that torque value, even as they crush.  More than 1.5 full turns, and you can split it.  There's no way in the world that you'd need to turn it more than 1.5 turns to time any muzzle device.

Never used a crush washer on a weapon that you're gonna use for a suppressor host - any muzzle device that you attached the suppressor directly to. Never.  Use peel washers, or the Precision Armament Accu-Washers for a suppressor host.  I've been using Accu-Washers for everything over the last several years, and they're easy to set up. I keep the 1/2x28 and 5/8x24 kits on-hand, for every muzzle device install, even if it's on a bolt gun.

Edited by 98Z5V

I ended up going with the Accu Washer setup for the muzzle brake. Works great! 

Gas tube ended up in the right spot (thanks for the info on this forum).

Pretty smooth build. I hope I'm not the only one that had a barrel nut wrench slip off the nut while torque-ing.:) Polished the dings to my satisfaction. The barrel nut/gas tube alignment was kind of annoying. MIne isn't perfectly lined up. But it clears.

Tons of great info on this site. Great folks to offer help.

I can't seem to take a "good" pic of guns. So I'll post a couple of marginal ones.

Now to find time for the range and get that barrel broke in.

gastube.jpg

M5cmplt.jpg

M5fini.JPG

Edited by flyingfinn
sp

16 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

That's one hell of a great looking build, man!  That bipod is on there backwards, though - as soon as you try to load that bipod, the legs will fold on you.  Flip that sucker around.  :thumbup:

Oops!! No wonder why it looked so f-ing weird. (in Red Foremans voice); Dumbass!!

8 minutes ago, flyingfinn said:

Oops!! No wonder why it looked so f-ing weird. (in Red Foremans voice); Dumbass!!

Nah, no dumbass in it, at all - but you'da found it out the first time you leaned into the bipod.   :laffs::thumbup:

Just joined a private gun club (public ones are gettin' crowded here). Membership card came in the mail today! So I'm lookin' forward to taking the new gun out there.

Doing the barrel break in procedure will be easier without the crowd and dealing with "the range is hot, it is clear to cross the yellow line". Which was just fine  by me five years ago, as I could somewhat not have to worry so much about idiots and it wasn't crowded. But now the public range is always so crowded, that a barrel break in procedure would take all day.

22 hours ago, unforgiven said:

Now you can push on it 😉

Yessir!

I still need to bore sight the scope. I have had good success with one of those laser cartridges. I just tack a target to a tree in the yard at 25 yards and use a folding table. Gets it close enough to start out at the range. I need to buy one as I don't have one in 308. It'll give me the opportunity to see how bad the run on "stuff" was this past weekend at the local sporting goods store. 

I am waiting on a bottle of Rocksett I ordered. I installed the brake without it, because I was impatient and wanted to see my project complete. No big deal to unscrew the brake and apply the Rocksett, then reinstall. 

42 minutes ago, flyingfinn said:

Yessir!

I still need to bore sight the scope. I have had good success with one of those laser cartridges. I just tack a target to a tree in the yard at 25 yards and use a folding table. Gets it close enough to start out at the range. I need to buy one as I don't have one in 308. It'll give me the opportunity to see how bad the run on "stuff" was this past weekend at the local sporting goods store. 

I am waiting on a bottle of Rocksett I ordered. I installed the brake without it, because I was impatient and wanted to see my project complete. No big deal to unscrew the brake and apply the Rocksett, then reinstall. 

Actual bore sighting works great :-). Where I grew up neighbors had a basketball backboard in their driveway. I would set up way back in the room so as to not cause panic, align gun or upper so the basketball backboard was centered when the two rings (bore and exit) were aligned, then adjust the scope until it agreed with the bore sight. Always got me onto a normal target at 100 yards.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 3/16/2020 at 8:49 AM, willbird said:

Actual bore sighting works great :-). Where I grew up neighbors had a basketball backboard in their driveway. I would set up way back in the room so as to not cause panic, align gun or upper so the basketball backboard was centered when the two rings (bore and exit) were aligned, then adjust the scope until it agreed with the bore sight. Always got me onto a normal target at 100 yards.

Bill

Haha!!! I do the same thing inside my garage and I use the local newspaper office across the street! It's about 75 yards and has worked great for bore sighting.

• 3 months later...