• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

6mm ARC by Hornady

DayWalker

Was just reading up on this over on Brownells website, was just curious if anybody has started building one yet. Here’s the link

https://www.brownells.com/guntech/6mm-arc/detail.htm?lid=18076

@98Z5V I know you already like Hornady stuff as it is, looks like you’re gonna get stuck building yet another AR in the name of science :laffs: I’d be curious to see how this stacks up against Grendel

23 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Oh man, now I’m worried for whatever I’ve started

The good news is that it means you'll be getting a new toy. The great news is that if you get your new toy and make it sound amazing enough, we will all have to buy a new toy too. There is no bad news.

31 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Oh boy, this is gonna turn out to be an expensive  question. Barrel and bolt alone are about $330 together, not to mention the 2 types of factory ammo are $1 a round. 

$1/round isn't that bad for precision ammo. $1.05 is pretty typical for what I shoot.

39 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

Hey, he's gotta learn to keep a lookout for the land mines somehow. :laffs:

Way to throw him to the wolves, brother...   :thumbup::lmao:

RECOIL Mag put up a good article on the collaboration that it took to make this round a reality.  Here's the article:

https://www.recoilweb.com/san-tan-tactical-hornady-proof-research-team-up-for-6mm-arc-rifle-161008.html?utm_source=bm23&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Read+the+Full+Story&utm_content=6mm+ARC+Release+|+Watch+Our+Suppressor+Webinar+|+Get+Deals+on+Ammo&utm_campaign=Recoil+Newsletter+-+6/5/20

San Tan Tactical, Hornady, Proof Research Team Up for 6mm ARC Release with STT-15 Rifle

June 3, 2020

FI2BKH28-670x447.jpeg

The 6mm ARC hit the ground running in 2020 by being as mysterious as possible. SAAMI accepted it in March, and there was limited information regarding its purpose. The story goes that a select group chose it within the DoD for testing in the multipurpose rifle program. At the time, it seemed like no one was actively manufacturing the round. That changed as we learned today, Hornady is charging full steam ahead. 

Hornady partnered with San Tan Tactical and Proof Research to produce a rifle worthy of such a capable round. The 6mm ARC is designed to be more precise and more powerful than the 5.56. It also sheds the recoil, size, and weight of 7.62 NATO. The 6mm ARC delivers more power and penetration and has a longer effective range than the 5.56 could ever hope to.

ffeAe59o-675x450.jpeg

The San Tan Tactical rifle is more than just a standard AR 15. The STT-15-6ARC features a billet upper and lower receiver, a magazine well with a massive flare for quick reloads, an oversized trigger guard, ambidextrous magazine and bolt release, and more. 

r9UV3wSA-675x450.jpeg

We know Hornady makes good ammo, but a round can't reach its full potential without the right platform. Proof Research is famed for its lightweight, carbon fiber barrels that deliver outstanding accuracy. The new 6mm ARC rifle is equipped with an 18-inch carbon fiber barrel with a 1:7.5 twist rate. 

Edited by 98Z5V

I vote for invoking The Rule.  :thefinger:

Personally, I was gonna post this information on the 6 ARC.  But, I'd be smarter about it and post it in the "news" section...   :lmao:  I like how this worked out...  :laffs:

Edited by 98Z5V

5 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I vote for invoking The Rule.  :thefinger:

Personally, I was gonna post this information on the 6 ARC.  But, I'd be smarter about it and post it in the "news" section...   :lmao:  I like how this worked out...  :laffs:

Oh I’ve been caught in a trap my brother. The old man just chuckled when I thanked him for not warning me. “Oh, I figured I’d mentioned that at some point”. Thanks you rat bastard :thefinger:

I’m gonna be a good sport, and abide by said “rule”. Might take a while, but I’ll see what I can do. Y’all better watch out now though, I’m gonna be waiting for someone else to slip up. 

46 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Y’all better watch out now though, I’m gonna be waiting for someone else to slip up. 

:lmao: Are you fukin kidding? This WHOLE group is like a cat waiting to pounce on a mouse. Anticipating that moment when they can pound that claymore trigger three times. Just waiting for someone to accidentally "ask" about something.

But....that being said. I believe that we've all learned it the hard way.

20 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

If I remember correctly Doc. Didn't you catch yourself with "The Rule"?:laffs:

Or in my case had the said rifle in my possession before asking about it just to see how long it would take for the "Rule" to be invoked.  It wasn't long.

1 hour ago, DayWalker said:

I’m gonna be a good sport, and abide by said “rule”. Might take a while, but I’ll see what I can do. Y’all better watch out now though, I’m gonna be waiting for someone else to slip up. 

I kinda feel bad for you, in a way.  A little.  Wait a minute, no I don't.  :bitchslap:

Having said that, I'll build one with you.  The only stipulation is:  must be finished for the Fall Shoot.  Then we can run these little fuckers proper.  :thumbup:

29 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I kinda feel bad for you, in a way.  A little.  Wait a minute, no I don't.  :bitchslap:

Having said that, I'll build one with you.  The only stipulation is:  must be finished for the Fall Shoot.  Then we can run these little fuckers proper.  :thumbup:

That would be sweet, actually able to step them bastards out like they need to. Also that should give me enough time to piece one of these bastards together. I’d be interested to see how it competes with Grendel, cause that really impressed me last year

9 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

That would be sweet, actually able to step them bastards out like they need to. Also that should give me enough time to piece one of these bastards together. I’d be interested to see how it competes with Grendel, cause that really impressed me last year

We'll damn sure run 'em head to head, and see how they do against the Grendels, and the .224 Valkyrie.  :thumbup:

I'll give the Valk it's props - it does have a liiiiiittle less drop than the Grendel, at a given distance.  Check, less drop.  Got it.  However, I'm delivering an 88grain Match projectile with just a few less "tenths of a mil of drop"...   I'm sending an 88gr pill, not a 123 grain Match projectile.

I'll take the Grendel over the Valk. 

It'll be interesting to see how this little fucker does against both of those. 

Oh, just so you know...   Full Discolsure and all that happy horseshiit...   I'm building a LaRue rifle.  

Edited by 98Z5V

This thing is basically a 6mm Grendel.  Parent case is .220 Russian, just like Grendel and 6 PPC.  There's info out there that you can just run AR15 mags - but you can't do that with Grendel.  I'm suspecting that you'll need to run Grendel mags on this little beast.

Good write-up  - even though this thing is brand new:

https://gununiversity.com/6mm-arc-review/

Alright, I confirmed it - Grendel bolts and Grendel mags for this one.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V