• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS GEN 1 lower compatibility

Bear

Ok, new guy here. I recently purchased a NIB condition early gen 1 rifle with the 24" target barrel in .308. It's minty. It's pretty. It's pretty f'in heavy! 

So, I really don't want to modify it in any way (minty, pretty!). I have been investigating building a new upper, or purchasing complete. Looking at AR Stoner complete uppers (A3) in .308 and 6.5 CM, both 18", .308 heavy contour, and 6.5 in medium contour.

So, my question to the gun freak masses is: are there any compatibility issues between the DPMS early lower, and the Stoner A3 uppers?

My second question: am I correct in assuming the 6.5 will feed and function fine in the .308 magazines?

IMG_20200727_080929606_HDR.thumb.jpg.863ceb6b6559a8fef98e154f1b184490.jpg

My sweet! SN 24xx

Edited by Bear
Because

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Bear said:

So, my question to the gun freak masses is: are there any compatibility issues between the DPMS early lower, and the Stoner A3 uppers?

My second question: am I correct in assuming the 6.5 will feed and function fine in the .308 magazines?

Don't know about the Stoner A3 uppers, personally.  Just build from Aero Precision M5 receivers - never seen a single issue from them, and I have a pile of them for reference. 

6.5 Creemoor ammo feeds just fine through the regular-suspects of .308AR magazines. 

Don't build just an upper, man.  Even though an AP M5 upper would pin to your DPMS LR-308 lower receiver.  Here's my rationale on this - what good does 1.5 guns do you?...   What can you do with 1.5 guns?  Only one thing at a time is the short answer.  If you really want a 6.5 C gun - just build another gun.  2.0 guns beat 1.5 guns, every single time that you run the math... 

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Don't know about the Stoner A3 uppers, personally.  Just build from Aero Precision M5 receivers - never seen a single issue from them, and I have a pile of them for reference. 

6.5 Creemoor ammo feeds just fine through the regular-suspects of .308AR magazines. 

Don't build just an upper, man.  Even though an AP M5 upper would pin to your DPMS LR-308 lower receiver.  Here's my rationale on this - what good does 1.5 guns do you?...   What can you do with 1.5 guns?  Only one thing at a time is the short answer.  If you really want a 6.5 C gun - just build another gun.  2.0 guns beat 1.5 guns, every single time that you run the math... 

LOL!! Been down that rabbit hole before! When I was heavy into Mausers, I eventually had 130 of them, and had to convert an extra bedroom into a gun safe. Just had to have one of every type!

To be honest, it is the upper easy swap that is leading me on. After all, I can only shoot one at a time. I figure setting up a double wide scoped rifle case with my target model DPMS, along with another scoped upper with a shorter, lighter barrel in .308 for hunting.

And then maybe doing something similar with a 6.5 CM. No experience with a 6.5 CM, but in my Mauser days, the 6.5 Swede M96 was my go-to target rifle, still have a few of them.

In other news, UPS delivered my scope finally, it's a 6-24 Athlon Argos Gen 2 with FFP and illuminated reticle in a Weaver one piece mount. Im feeling a serious case of range itch coming on.😎 I have a Magpul bipod still on order, but I'm not waiting for it. Must move lead to - over there!

Edited by Bear

Man!  I'm SWEATIN' after that!....  :lmao:   You're gonna be FUN here!...   :banana:

I don't mean that as a slam, by no means - from your history, you just don't fuk around...

Now based on that, you need to WATCH OUT for several people on this board - I'll point them out as they post up...  You need to WATCH those fuckers - they're only out for your money... 

Some of these guys are Shady As Fuk.  I'm just sayin'...    :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Bear said:

😜 Ok, I guess that was the fair warning legalese small print. Why do I feel I just bought another  hole to shovel money in?

It's like a boat, man.  Do you have a boat? 

A boat is just a hole in the water that you keep pushing money into.  "BOAT" just means "Break Out Another Thousand..."... 

Same way with these things.  Money-pit - just like a boat...  But these thing don't lose their value, over time.  And don't need much maintenance, from keeping them to turning into a complete piece of shiit - like a neglected boat would...

You're not in bad hands here, relaaaaaxxxxx... 

We're looking OUT for you right now.  Might seem strange, I get it. Over time, here, you'll realize that we weren't just fuckin' with you...  we have your best interests at heart here.

***Whether YOU know your best interests,right now, is not our concern - we already know what those best interests are...  once you showed up here...***

5 hours ago, Bear said:
7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

LOL!! Been down that rabbit hole before! When I was heavy into Mausers, I eventually had 130 of them,

Man you have a problem. You are gonna fit in just fine here. Might as well give in right away and just build a second whole gun. You won’t be content with half a gun.:hornet:

Yup, I know. I am (semi) retired, and when I'm not working, it's only SS income. Enough to pay the bills, but play money is squeaky. I make killer money when I'm working, but the covid threw a wrench in that. I am an aircraft structures mechanic, specializing in aircraft recoveries (crashed planes), and repair of crashed planes, usually in some bug infested hellhole. Last trip out was pretty sweet, went to Australia, spent 2 weeks in a hotel for quarantine, then 4 days of surveying 2 well corroded airplanes.

I have already surrendered to the AR bug, but it's going to be stop and go on the builds as finances dictate. 

Over the years I've had a few gas guns, an M1A or 2, a couple pretty sweet Garands, Ruger mini, an Egyptian Hakim, Swedish Ljungmann, and MAS-56, but far and above, bolt guns.

I have no real interest in the AR15, but the AR10 platform has a wee bit more authority. I'm new at this, and sourcing quality and compatible parts is my focus for right now. When I can afford it!

Here I am again, broke! Fell down that rabbit hole, and found out somebody greased it.

Ordered 2 M5 uppers, 2 80% lowers, 2 18" barrels (.308 & 6.5 CM) one handguard so far, gas blocks, gas tubes, a nice Magpul fully adjustable stock, one lower completions kit, barrel nuts, another scope and mount, buffer tube assembly, etc, etc.

I think you all warned me.

16 minutes ago, Bear said:

And how 'bout that pipe insulation cheek rest!

I use Vet Wrap to hold that poop down - and I do it, too.  It comes in  colors, including Woodland Camo.

That's my cheekrest on my .300 Win Mag, right like that. 

In the old Army days, you cut a chunk off your Sleep Mat off, and used 100mph tape to fix it to your buttstock.  Vet Wrap is alot easier.  :thumbup:

P1080801.thumb.JPG.f906dba8beea9c990aefde19ce7c55ed.JPG

Edited by 98Z5V

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Brother, you jsut turned a lesson into a Mantra.  1.5 guns should REALLY be 2.0 guns.  I think you just made 1.5 guns into 3.0 guns, if I read your post right...  :thumbup::hail::banana:

More like 4, minus a few odds and ends. Trying to find stuff in stock is a beatch!

One day at a time. UPS is promising 4 packages today.

Edited by Bear

Muahahahaa!IMG_20200730_165030872.thumb.jpg.f626bc9dec8bcd19906fad6c6b968ef8.jpgIMG_20200730_165952278.thumb.jpg.82f625d7495af58b91d33af2e060e3b8.jpgIMG_20200730_165639068_HDR.thumb.jpg.398261ccf8b13bff43c956ed9d7bd97e.jpg

UPS finally showed with the first boxes from Midway. Still waiting on 2 Aero Precision boxes, one 80%Arms box, one box from Graf's, 2 boxes from Amazon, and  about 7 more from Midway. Not enough to start building yet, but a good start.

I think the Pelican Vault will have enough room for another .308 scoped upper, with mags and tools. Will have to get another for the 6.5CM build.