• Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS GEN 1 lower compatibility

Bear

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Rsquared said:

:lmao: Sounds like you may have a party crasher inbound.

You may want to call security now..........just to have them prepared.

Tell them to look for the Silverback. :lmao:

Wait...I'm the silverback!

Ok, 'nuther box from AP today, this one has a .308 barrel, gas block, gas tube. Had to have my brother go and pick it up, I'm still in Phoenix, so I haven't even seen this stuff yet. The .308 will be the first build, as I already have .308 headspace gauges.

Did a little online window shopping for a set of 6.5 CM gauges, and got a little sticker shock. Anybody have a line on some affordable headspace gauges?

23 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

In terms of comparison to your hospital bills when your gun blows up on you, how much is affordable?

I have VA, so hospital bills are nil. But, that is a fair point. I haven't bought any gauges in years, so I thought $60 each was a little excessive. Wouldn't pull a trigger without checking, especially with the variability I'm finding between various manufacturers.

In this particular case, upper receiver, BCG, and barrel are all from Aero P, but that does not mean it shouldn't be checked.

I'm asking if anybody knows of a more affordable set.

Edited by Bear

56 minutes ago, Bear said:

I have VA, so hospital bills are nil.

That's a fair statement, but...  VA only covers Service-Connected Disabilities - shiit that happened to you while you were in, and you receive VA DIsability Payments for it.  If you're 100% disabled, it's a different story - everything in your life is covered by VA.  If you're retired, it can BE a different story, IF you can connect that thing that you're claiming, directly TO a Service Connected Disability, that they're paying you for now.

Ask me how I know.

VA ain't the end-all-be-all, unless you're 100% Disabled. Even IF you're Retired.

Getting your face blown up by a gun, tomorrow, isn't gonna be covered by VA, unless you're 100% Disabled, and that Disability Rating was already established, prior to you eating your gun.

Edited by 98Z5V

2 hours ago, Bear said:

I have VA, so hospital bills are nil. But, that is a fair point. I haven't bought any gauges in years, so I thought $60 each was a little excessive. Wouldn't pull a trigger without checking, especially with the variability I'm finding between various manufacturers.

In this particular case, upper receiver, BCG, and barrel are all from Aero P, but that does not mean it shouldn't be checked.

I'm asking if anybody knows of a more affordable set.

Sorry if I came across as being a dick, but there's a lot that rides on the quality of the gauges in question. In this case, I'd recommend that you buy the gauges with the best reputation and let cost considerations be balanced out by what your well-being is worth to you.

The Clymer or Forster sets are both good and worth spending $60 on. 

Here's a link to a $60 set: https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/measuring-tools/headspace-gauges/go-no-go-gauge-sets-prod26876.aspx

6 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

Sorry if I came across as being a dick, but there's a lot that rides on the quality of the gauges in question. In this case, I'd recommend that you buy the gauges with the best reputation and let cost considerations be balanced out by what your well-being is worth to you.

The Clymer or Forster sets are both good and worth spending $60 on. 

Here's a link to a $60 set: https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/measuring-tools/headspace-gauges/go-no-go-gauge-sets-prod26876.aspx

Dude, that's exactly what I'm looking for. At Midway, the gauges are $60 each, not $60 per set. I haven't built any rifles in about 15 years, and the Midway price shocked me. I hadn't checked Brownells yet, their prices are generally higher than Midway.

Thank you for the link, I already had a couple other items on my wish list at Brownells, and will put together an order later today.

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

That's a fair statement, but...  VA only covers Service-Connected Disabilities - shiit that happened to you while you were in, and you receive VA DIsability Payments for it.  If you're 100% disabled, it's a different story - everything in your life is covered by VA.  If you're retired, it can BE a different story, IF you can connect that thing that you're claiming, directly TO a Service Connected Disability, that they're paying you for now.

Ask me how I know.

VA ain't the end-all-be-all, unless you're 100% Disabled. Even IF you're Retired.

Getting your face blown up by a gun, tomorrow, isn't gonna be covered by VA, unless you're 100% Disabled, and that Disability Rating was already established, prior to you eating your gun.

Last time I had major surgery, it was for a brain tumor (Google bilateral craniotomy). I was in the hospital for 9 days, and they charged me $9.50 per day. Not in any way service related. I am a Viet era vet, and have full VA benefits.

Basically, they cut and folded my face down, and removed my forehead bone, and removed a tumor the size of a handball, right between and behind my eyes.

I'm still pretty damn handsome!

Edited by Bear

Wow! I hope they put your bone back in place did some neat needle work and didn't get anything upside down or wrong side out.

I thought broken femur hip surgery,  prostate Biopsy and  surgery , and tonsil surgery was difficult enough, (not at the same time, thank goodness!.)

Someone will always ask for pictures  of any activity on this site, but in this case we just may modify that request, "Know what I mean?" Both for me and you too Bear.

Edited by mrmackc

IMG_20200806_062056931_HDR.thumb.jpg.a386ab4177bb51753ce3e23681c88cad.jpg

Not a real good pic. That scar goes from ear to ear, and I do have a few metallic additions holding everything together!

Life is hell, but we all get thru it one way or another.

Edited by Bear

2 hours ago, Bear said:

Dude, that's exactly what I'm looking for. At Midway, the gauges are $60 each, not $60 per set. I haven't built any rifles in about 15 years, and the Midway price shocked me. I hadn't checked Brownells yet, their prices are generally higher than Midway.

Thank you for the link, I already had a couple other items on my wish list at Brownells, and will put together an order later today.

You're very welcome brother, happy to help you any way I can.

Well, I got the no go gauge ordered, the go gauge was not in stock, will get notification. Also ordered a tool similar to a "reaction rod" for torquing the barrel nut, about half the price of similar tools.

IMG_20200806_142027509_HDR.thumb.jpg.e77496a7765b08ed2d25a5ef531949a2.jpg

The job in Phoenix is done, celebrating in the hotel with some homebrewed Belgian tripels. Back to Tucson sometime tomorrow, and I can start milling a lower receiver for a shorty .308.

13 minutes ago, Bear said:

Well, I got the no go gauge ordered, the go gauge was not in stock, will get notification. Also ordered a tool similar to a "reaction rod" for torquing the barrel nut, about half the price of similar tools.

IMG_20200806_142027509_HDR.thumb.jpg.e77496a7765b08ed2d25a5ef531949a2.jpg

The job in Phoenix is done, celebrating in the hotel with some homebrewed Belgian tripels. Back to Tucson sometime tomorrow, and I can start milling a lower receiver for a shorty .308.

The No-Go is the important one anyways, so that's great news.

13 hours ago, Bear said:

IMG_20200806_062056931_HDR.thumb.jpg.a386ab4177bb51753ce3e23681c88cad.jpg

After THIS pic...   we NEED to get you here for a shoot sometime!!!   We needed you here a few years ago, when some drunk teens in a one-eyed Ford F-150 decided to roll into camp around midnight - had they seen YOU first, when they rolled in...    :thumbup::banana: