• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Getting to know Miss Wilson

billymagg

12 hours ago, Sisco said:

Billymag don't sweat the wondering thread. The topic will come back eventually. Actually dialing back your scope magnification might have tightened your group.You get over magnified and the scope hairs can jump with your heartbeat. Just use the magnification you need.

No problem Gent's, my tech assistant has posted the groups, this will probably be my first and last post of a group I fired all by myself?? I mean damn!, that's almost a "magazine group"?? kinda like my "magazine hair" that I used to have, LOL......

You are no doubt right Sisco, and oddly enough, this was the quickest 3 round group I may have ever fired, like I said, I was working on my breathing, and it all lined up, bam, bam, and bam!

5 minutes ago, Radioactive said:

One of the reasons this place is great - no stay on target thread police. We eventually wonder back on track.

Thank God for that, I was until very recently a Super Mod on the Sino Defense Forum.  The USA bashing has finally taken over what used to be a very friendly, straight up bunch of lads commenting on Chinese and other military equipment/strategy, but of late had become a straight up pro-China fan boi site,  one of the Jr. Mod's prohibition on calling Taiwan a nation or country? was the final nail in the coffin, most all the Western poster's have left... I didn't need the stress, I'm very happy the Trumpster has put China on notice!

end off topic: so ,,,,,, now I'm wondering if I've brushed all the Karma out of Miss Wilson?? I mean, I'm afraid to take it out of the house????

19 hours ago, Magwa said:

Billymagg wait till you shoot the 168's or 175's be sure to set up the camera first before checking target now where the FUK are the pictures? and to all you wussies who sleep in I will be 70 in 10 days and I still get up at 4.30 every AM... sl quit slackin..! now you know where I am going

mike does not give a shit....jpg

I've got a small supply of 165/168's stashed in the basement, so I've been sitting on those until I had a little more "seat time" on Miss Wilson?? but to be honest, she has an 11.25 to 1 twist rate? I'm imagining to stabilize the lighter hunting bullets?? I was kinda shocked it wasn't 10 to 1, and almost passed because of that, but in the end, the rifle fits like a glove, nice, light and balances well??

So, I'm going to continue to work on the lighter end of things for now, I've even got a couple of boxes of 120 gr Winchester, as I stated in the first post, I was a little shocked when I walked down there and found those two situated so closely? I've been following the ads on the gun smoker were all the Wilson factory groups are almost always posted, there's always that first round "flyer" off the top of the magazine on every factory test target..

I'm gonna continue to shoot my 5.56, the UGLY 308 SAVAGE, 30-06 AX Kicker, and I will probably even drag out my nice little FN 270, to be honest the Savage is what sold me on the 308, I'm more of a 30-06 guy...

so I'm probably gonna try to build/buy another billet AR-15, I may try it in 6.8 SPC? but that will be at some point in the future

17 minutes ago, billymagg said:

I'm wondering if I've brushed all the Karma out of Miss Wilson?? I mean, I'm afraid to take it out of the house????

Them Wilson’s are Purdy enough to use as a mantle piece. I don’t have any safe queens - just tools. I’d shoot it till I got good with it and made sure I wasn’t just lucky. Then I’d shoot it some more to show off. I don’t think it was karma some guns just work with you - maybe you got one.

27 minutes ago, billymagg said:

I've got a small supply of 165/168's stashed in the basement, so I've been sitting on those until I had a little more "seat time" on Miss Wilson?? but to be honest, she has an 11.25 to 1 twist rate? I'm imagining to stabilize the lighter hunting bullets?? I was kinda shocked it wasn't 10 to 1, and almost passed because of that, 

2 of my 308’s have 1 in 11.25 twist. And shoot gang busters. Unless you shoot every day at 800+ yards, you won’t notice the difference. Also interested in the Sino defense thread. I try to keep up On their latest developments in defense, strategy and tactics. Majored in Asian studies and studied Mandarin a long long time ago. As when Chairman Mao was still in power. Never trust them to do anything but what is in their best interest. And never underestimate the Chinese.

8 hours ago, Radioactive said:

Them Wilson’s are Purdy enough to use as a mantle piece. I don’t have any safe queens - just tools. I’d shoot it till I got good with it and made sure I wasn’t just lucky. Then I’d shoot it some more to show off. I don’t think it was karma some guns just work with you - maybe you got one.

Yes sir! I concur on all points...

8 hours ago, Sisco said:

2 of my 308’s have 1 in 11.25 twist. And shoot gang busters. Unless you shoot every day at 800+ yards, you won’t notice the difference. Also interested in the Sino defense thread. I try to keep up On their latest developments in defense, strategy and tactics. Majored in Asian studies and studied Mandarin a long long time ago. As when Chairman Mao was still in power. Never trust them to do anything but what is in their best interest. And never underestimate the Chinese.

Good for you, you're far ahead of the game, as likely most of our members are. China has taken a huge step in making their massive ambitions known, under China's last President, China had become far more open and above board.... and that was a very good thing.. with development of the J-15 derivative of the Su-33, to operate off the old Soviet Varyag , now Chinese Liaoning, China was making good progress and sharing much of their progress with the world...

Under Emperor Xi, China has closed the doors and windows, even before covid 19. China made a quantum leap in fighter aircraft designing, prototyping, and placing in low rate initial production the Chengdu J-20, a large fighter designed to compete with the F-22. Shenyang has designed and flown two prototypes of  a supposed 5th gen FC-31 in its export version, but which many believe may be their next carrier based fighter. Shenyang currently produces all the Chinese Flanker variants, including the J-15...

So we do indeed need to be very vigilant, of particular concern is the Chinese theft of "intellectual property".... the F-22 and F-35 are both highly developed and extremely effective at what they do in spite of their many naysayers, 5th Generation aircraft are extremely sophisticated, and very difficult to replicate.

I completely agree on your assessment of the 308, it is extremely effective at any reasonable range, and the big AR has even greater potential, but I am extremely happy with my Wilson, and I will be shooting it...

early last fall I took one of my rifles to the farm, having decided it was past time for them to come out of hibernation. To my consternation, I was extremely poor with it, and it has taken quite a bit of gunpowder and lead to get me to my present, barely competent level... so I'm here to listen and learn, and hopefully continue to maintain my meager proficiency, and build upon it if possible, thanks for all your encouragement gents...

and thanks for making me feel welcome, Blessings to each of you, sincerely, billy.

I will add that I have upgraded most of my glass, nothing high dollar, but low end bright glass. You can't hit what you can't see, well you can, but its probably something that you wish you had been able to recognize before you sent a bullet down range?

53 minutes ago, billymagg said:

Good for you, you're far ahead of the game, as likely most of our members are. China has taken a huge step in making their massive ambitions known, under China's last President, China had become far more open and above board.... and that was a very good thing.. with development of the J-15 derivative of the Su-33, to operate off the old Soviet Varyag , now Chinese Liaoning, China was making good progress and sharing much of their progress with the world...

Under Emperor Xi, China has closed the doors and windows, even before covid 19. China made a quantum leap in fighter aircraft designing, prototyping, and placing in low rate initial production the Chengdu J-20, a large fighter designed to compete with the F-22. Shenyang has designed and flown two prototypes of  a supposed 5th gen FC-31 in its export version, but which many believe may be their next carrier based fighter. Shenyang currently produces all the Chinese Flanker variants, including the J-15...

So we do indeed need to be very vigilant, of particular concern is the Chinese theft of "intellectual property".... the F-22 and F-35 are both highly developed and extremely effective at what they do in spite of their many naysayers, 5th Generation aircraft are extremely sophisticated, and very difficult to replicate.

I have a sneaky suspicion they have a complete F35 already. Last year the first Japanese F35 squadron was doing a 4 plane training flight when the flight leader intentionally turned off his transponder, radioed "continue with the mission" and disappeared. No trace of the pilot or plane has been found. Guessing it is in Chinese or Russian hands, and he is living the good life, very wealthy, somewhere.

14 hours ago, billymagg said:

but to be honest, she has an 11.25 to 1 twist rate? I'm imagining to stabilize the lighter hunting bullets?? I was kinda shocked it wasn't 10 to 1, and almost passed because of that, but in the end, the rifle fits like a glove, nice, light and balances well??

1:11.25" twist was originally determined by The Honorable Mr. Eugene Stoner as the perfect twist rate to stabilize a 175gr Match projectile.  The final design of the KAC M110 is that twist rate, for that reason. 

Thats nice to know, it does seem like a very happy accurate rifle, on a completely different level than my Rock River Predator Pursuit... its nice to get an education every time I log in Bub. I'm really impressed with the 308 AR, seems that form does follow function, and if Mr. Stoner says its "optimal", thats all I need to know! thanks Bub

Off topic: I did sell the poor old Black Bird, so I'm looking for a nice early 2nd F-body in very good condition, they are as you know very pricey,  but I would like to find one without corrosion or damage, but who knows,  I could end up with a later 2nd gen if I don't find something affordable..

On 8/1/2020 at 7:42 PM, Sisco said:

I have a sneaky suspicion they have a complete F35 already. Last year the first Japanese F35 squadron was doing a 4 plane training flight when the flight leader intentionally turned off his transponder, radioed "continue with the mission" and disappeared. No trace of the pilot or plane has been found. Guessing it is in Chinese or Russian hands, and he is living the good life, very wealthy, somewhere.

Actually one of the vertical stabilizers as well as other wreckage was found several days after the actual crash on April 9th 2019, and the body of Major Akinori  Hosomi was recovered 2 months later... you are correct in stating that the main body of the wreckage has not been recovered, although the area continues to be monitored... NO doubt the Chinese and the Russians would love to recover whats left of the first F-35A to be assembled by Mitsubishi Heavy Industry's FACO..

In fact the Chinese have stolen a great deal of F-35 data/plans through military espionage, the Shenyang FC-31 is a veritable clone of the F-35, although it is powered by twin Russian RD-93's as is the Mig 29, rather than a magnificent F-135 by Pratt and Whitney!

There should be little doubt in any ones mind that Maj Hosomi was a victim of his own loss of situational awareness, dark night, over water, and combat maneuvering has taken the life of more pilots that air combat ever will...

so apologies to Maj Hosomi and his family, Major Hosomi was the flight lead, I can assure you that all operator's foreign and domestic of the F-35 have top secret security clearance... the reason the turks lost the F-35 and their own F-35 parts industry is directly related to their acquisition of the Russian S-400 SAM system which would have collected top secret data on the F-35 and its mission profile.. I can assure you the Japanese have our full support and absolute confidence that they will keep the secrets of the F-35!

21 hours ago, billymagg said:

Actually one of the vertical stabilizers as well as other wreckage was found several days after the actual crash on April 9th 2019, and the body of Major Akinori  Hosomi was recovered 2 months later... you are correct in stating that the main body of the wreckage has not been recovered, although the area continues to be monitored... NO doubt the Chinese and the Russians would love to recover whats left of the first F-35A to be assembled by Mitsubishi Heavy Industry's FACO..

In fact the Chinese have stolen a great deal of F-35 data/plans through military espionage, the Shenyang FC-31 is a veritable clone of the F-35, although it is powered by twin Russian RD-93's as is the Mig 29, rather than a magnificent F-135 by Pratt and Whitney!

There should be little doubt in any ones mind that Maj Hosomi was a victim of his own loss of situational awareness, dark night, over water, and combat maneuvering has taken the life of more pilots that air combat ever will...

so apologies to Maj Hosomi and his family, Major Hosomi was the flight lead, I can assure you that all operator's foreign and domestic of the F-35 have top secret security clearance... the reason the turks lost the F-35 and their own F-35 parts industry is directly related to their acquisition of the Russian S-400 SAM system which would have collected top secret data on the F-35 and its mission profile.. I can assure you the Japanese have our full support and absolute confidence that they will keep the secrets of the F-35!

Thank you I hadn't seen that update. I would think with those all aspect helmet displays vertigo would be a problem. I knew about the Turkish situation, probanly for the better with Erdogan. With modern integrated air defence, info would have trickled down to the Russians in even the best case scenario

On 8/3/2020 at 7:56 PM, Sisco said:

Thank you I hadn't seen that update. I would think with those all aspect helmet displays vertigo would be a problem. I knew about the Turkish situation, probanly for the better with Erdogan. With modern integrated air defence, info would have trickled down to the Russians in even the best case scenario

Yes Sir, no doubt with the S-400 locking on and tracking the F-35, the F-35 would have soon been severely compromised, it was all Erdogan, he's a paranoid Dude, wanted to assert himself, and thought he could have his cake and eat it too, we offered him the Patriot system, (and the moon to go along with it), Turkey has jeopardized every F-35 partner with his theatrics and the S-400.... Stealth or L/O does not mean invisibility, it means operating in a manner that uses your L/O to your advantage, and preventing the bad guy from achieving a "lock".... I believe I read that Major Hosomi's last radio call was to "knock it off"... whether it was vertigo, or simply not being able to ascertain his aircrafts attitude, it appears that he just flew it into the water...

For those who might be tempted to criticize, I've found electronic flight instruments to be less intuitive for us old heads. You're also right, in that the helmet is a whole different ball game, I had some Army Aviators tell me they did NOT like the night vision goggles when flying, but they managed...

19 minutes ago, billymagg said:

I had some Army Aviators tell me they did NOT like the night vision goggles when flying, but they managed...

I had a great big group of Army Aviators that were masters at it, and they love it.  We only flew at night,with them, and completely blacked out.  Those guys were magicians, and absolute masters of their aircraft and crew.   When they had a time-hack, they were always +/- 30 seconds from it, and never failed, no matter what the distance was, that they had to travel to get you there, or get to you to get you out of there.  Absolute Flying Ninjas.  :hail:

Some people hate driving with night vision, and can't comprehend the concept of what makes it work.  I got "qualified" on that in 1989.  I absolutely love it, and practiced it whenever I could, after that.  I turned it into training in future units, as a main training event, with an "NVG Vehicle Obstacle Course."  - Train others...   I got to do it, for real, through the mountains of Afghani-Land, in 2003, when it counted.  Years of practice definitely paid off.  When you put a Toyota truck through those mountains, on roads that are narrower than that Toyota - at night - you better not fuk it up.  Proficiency pays dividends. 

Edited by 98Z5V

Just now, 98Z5V said:

I had a great big group of Army Aviators that were masters at it, and they love it.  We only flew at night,with them, and completely blacked out.  Those guys were magicians, and absolute masters of their aircraft and crew.   When they had a time-hack, they were always +/- 30 seconds from it, and never failed, no matter what the distance was, that they had to travel to get you there, or get to you to get you out of there.  Absolute Flying Ninjas.  :hail:

Roger that, my main Dude was a Vietnam Vet,  Army Reserve, he felt it messed with his depth perception, and he was flying with the first generation goggle with the single optical aperture, I could understand his concern... he was a psychologist at a State Run DD facility... he mainly flew Huey's, he transitioned into the "Black Hawk"... completely off topic, when my brother had his first open heart surgery, after he got out of the hospital, he was awakened from a sound sleep by a "Hellacious Rackit", he pulled the curtains back, and there was one of his best friends, hovering an Illinois National Guard Blackhawk about 10 feet from his bedroom window, those gents do like to have fun! My brother never forgot that...

2 minutes ago, billymagg said:

Roger that, my main Dude was a Vietnam Vet,  Army Reserve, he felt it messed with his depth perception, and he was flying with the first generation goggle with the single optical aperture, I could understand his concern...

Times have definitely changed - and so has technology, and NVG capability.  What you know from back then is a different world now.  Shiit, it's even more advanced now, from when I retired in 2007... 

There is no Depth Perception in Gen 1, Gen 2...  That's why you have to train.  The current White Phosphor shiit is unreal.  You can see how many hairs are in a guy's beard at 35 yards...  It's just nuts. 

Edited by 98Z5V

8 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Times have definitely changed - and so has technology, and NVG capability.  What you know from back then is a different world now.  Shiit, it's even more advanced now, from when I retired in 2007... 

There is no Depth Perception in Gen 1, Gen 2...  That's why you have to train.  The current White Phosphor shiit is unreal.  You can see how many hairs are in a guy's beard at 35 yards...  It's just nuts. 

Yes Sir, I believe it!