• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Getting to know Miss Wilson

billymagg

So some of you have been in on my 308 AR discovery, and given me very helpful insight. To be honest, it was those little bitty 5.56 holes in the target, that drove me to the big 30 cal on the AR platform... I looked at Black Rain Ordinance and Rock River on the used gun rack at Scheels. Those were both heavy, the Black Rain had a 20 inch bull barrel and was actually 6.5 Creedmore, the Rock River was an "Operator", they both felt very awkward in hand...

so I continued to look around and really loved the billet uppers without the forward assist and the matching lower,  I fell in love with the Wilson, and started bidding on the Gun Smoker on one of those penny auctions from "pretty guns", it was the "Ultimate Hunter", with an 18" fluted slik barrel and a fixed, (kinda funky looking) Wilson Combat stock.... of course I went right after it, with momentary moments of common sense popping me in the head at $1500, 1800, 2 Grand, 2200, well you get my drift, my last bid was $2475, knowing the bidding would end at 8 pm, I went to farm to do some work, and about 7:39, I checked the auction and found it had sold at 8 Eastern for $2500.

I was devastated, I really liked the looks of that little rifle, and so spent the next 2 months trying to find another, and could not, decided to build one, but Wilson Combat is "STILL OUT" of the BILLet WC10 uppers and lowers.. so I found a "Tactical Hunter" on Armslist for 3400 bucks, did have Wilson light weight rings and a cheap little Leopold 3X9, and so we started negotiating, young lad had bought the Wilson, and then was accepted into Air Force OTS, so brand new Wilson for sale,,, we negotiated, and negotiated, and agreed on a price, in the end I couldn't drop the hammer, so I thanked him and passed, after a week or so, I shot him another offer, and we ended up about 200 buck higher than that, and I dropped the hammer....

So I've shot it a bit, 3 or 4 outings, several trips to the farm lately, I was literally dripping sweat, so I left it in the case, and shot my really ugly and heavy Savage 110 Tactical, not to well?, as it needs a real glass on it, but well enough... so today we had some rain, it was overcast and sprinkling a bit actually, so out came the lovely Miss Wilson, with her fluted, threaded, combat green, 18" stainless barrel..

Well, my first group was my best, with Winchester 150's,  3 or 4 inches, I proceeded to extend my groups further afield, switching to Hornady 150's, making scope adjustments along the way, as I was tiring of my foot treks back and forth the target to check groups, I had decided to quit as things were getting ugly... but I got back to the truck, and loaded up 3 more Winchesters in my 10 rd Magpul… I don't know why, but I moved my front bag out a little and readjusted it on the old truck hood, I had reduced my magnification back to 6X, took three or four deep breaths and touched off the first two in short order, followed shortly by the third, I actually had a cloud of smoke billowing out of the end of the barrel and the chamber area as the bolt had faithfully locked back on the last round...

lit up the stub of my Backwood's cigar and proceeded to take what I knew would be my last trek down to my "pizza box" target. I wish you could have seen the look on my face when I found 2 round's in 3/8's of an inch, and the 3rd inside 2"s of the first two, as tickled as I was with this old man, I'm honestly even more tickled with Miss Wilson, and the cheap Leopold has amazing glass, I don't care for the reticle, its small, with small hash marks, but that glass is amazing!

I will try to post some pictures of that last group tomorrow, I didn't expect much, but decided to re-adjust and move my front bag again and work on my breathing, and I'm very happy to own an amazing little rifle, sometimes you do get what you pay for...

2 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

0600? He's getting to sleep in a bit... I'd be knocking down his door no later than 0430....

Did that for too long. Tired of it.

41 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

yeah, but when you get a bit older you get to sleep in a bit later. Ask me how I know. :banana:

^^^He knows what I'm talking about...   0600 is fine for me these days...   :thumbup::lmao:

@billymagg, just so you know...

:ttiwwop:

Edited by 98Z5V

16 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

Old-timers are getting soft on me... I guess I'll have to let 'em get their hard-earned rest while I bust balls by myself. :hornet:

You have about 3 years, from now, and you'll "like sleeping in to 0600..."   :laffs:

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

You have about 3 years, from now, and you'll "like sleeping in to 0600..."   :laffs:

That's the best part about being slightly younger than the rest of you, is that as long as you're alive that will continue to be the case. Don't worry, I won't let you geezers forget it either. :lmao:

Billymagg wait till you shoot the 168's or 175's be sure to set up the camera first before checking target now where the FUK are the pictures? and to all you wussies who sleep in I will be 70 in 10 days and I still get up at 4.30 every AM... sl quit slackin..! now you know where I am going

mike does not give a shit....jpg

Yo Mike! Hail 

I don't know why 0430 kicked off a chain of thought.  I did the 4:30am routine for years and years for a JOB.  But being on this site and guessing some similar backgrounds the 0430 rang a different gong.  Standing watch I remember we had this one  (perhaps there were more)  SEAL.  He was out every morning putting in some road work.  0430 is a warriors time table.  Only the serious commit to 0430.  These particular fellow ran to no bands playing or for recognition.  Seeking stellar performance applause was not his thing.  This solo defender was on guard and ready.  Paying his dues without being ordered to.  Just a stand up guy.  0430.  

Sorry billymagg for jumping in but,   I enjoyed your writing and am looking for more.  The pics brother,  the pics!

Edited by RedRiverII

Billymag don't sweat the wondering thread. The topic will come back eventually. Actually dialing back your scope magnification might have tightened your group.You get over magnified and the scope hairs can jump with your heartbeat. Just use the magnification you need.

15 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Billymag don't sweat the wondering thread. The topic will come back eventually. Actually dialing back your scope magnification might have tightened your group.You get over magnified and the scope hairs can jump with your heartbeat. Just use the magnification you need.

Words of wisdom right there!

2 hours ago, Radioactive said:

Slow is smooth smooth is fast old is old

Works every single time, brother.  Matt knows this, too. :thumbup:

Hilarious sign Old age and treachery will overcome youth and | Etsy

Slow is Smooth, and Smooth is Fast.  OLD JumpMaster adage, when it comes to the JMPI portion of the class.  You don't make the time cut - kicked out.  You rush it?  You'll fuk it up.  You need to SLOW DOWN and pay attention, in order to speed up and go fast... 

Crushes JumpMaster Students left and right.  Taught it for 3 years, course NCOIC for 2 final years.  Graduated a record number of students, my final 2 years, but I crushed dreams, for the inattentive... I was their last stop, in their counseling for Dismissal from the Course...   :thumbup:

Bye Felicia - What Does bye, Felicia Mean? | Slang by Dictionary.com

Long story short - I've always been an as$hole...  

As a JumpMaster, if you fuk this up, you can kill a jumper. You NEVER fuk this up.  It's an ingrained SCIENCE into your brain, once you perfect it. 

Edited by 98Z5V

4 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

Yes sir!  I hope my irreverence is not mistaken for disrespect.

Doesn’t irreverence mean lack of respect?:thefinger:

You youngsters - I don’t have a clue what you’re talking about half the time. Just wait you’ll get there eventually. Hell i’m not even that old anyway, I just feel like it sometimes. There are others here much older than I. I just saw an opportunity to :hornet:

No harm no foul just funnin 

On 7/30/2020 at 9:23 PM, billymagg said:

So some of you have been in on my 308 AR discovery, and given me very helpful insight. To be honest, it was those little bitty 5.56 holes in the target, that drove me to the big 30 cal on the AR platform... I looked at Black Rain Ordinance and Rock River on the used gun rack at Scheels. Those were both heavy, the Black Rain had a 20 inch bull barrel and was actually 6.5 Creedmore, the Rock River was an "Operator", they both felt very awkward in hand...

so I continued to look around and really loved the billet uppers without the forward assist and the matching lower,  I fell in love with the Wilson, and started bidding on the Gun Smoker on one of those penny auctions from "pretty guns", it was the "Ultimate Hunter", with an 18" fluted slik barrel and a fixed, (kinda funky looking) Wilson Combat stock.... of course I went right after it, with momentary moments of common sense popping me in the head at $1500, 1800, 2 Grand, 2200, well you get my drift, my last bid was $2475, knowing the bidding would end at 8 pm, I went to farm to do some work, and about 7:39, I checked the auction and found it had sold at 8 Eastern for $2500.

I was devastated, I really liked the looks of that little rifle, and so spent the next 2 months trying to find another, and could not, decided to build one, but Wilson Combat is "STILL OUT" of the BILLet WC10 uppers and lowers.. so I found a "Tactical Hunter" on Armslist for 3400 bucks, did have Wilson light weight rings and a cheap little Leopold 3X9, and so we started negotiating, young lad had bought the Wilson, and then was accepted into Air Force OTS, so brand new Wilson for sale,,, we negotiated, and negotiated, and agreed on a price, in the end I couldn't drop the hammer, so I thanked him and passed, after a week or so, I shot him another offer, and we ended up about 200 buck higher than that, and I dropped the hammer....

So I've shot it a bit, 3 or 4 outings, several trips to the farm lately, I was literally dripping sweat, so I left it in the case, and shot my really ugly and heavy Savage 110 Tactical, not to well?, as it needs a real glass on it, but well enough... so today we had some rain, it was overcast and sprinkling a bit actually, so out came the lovely Miss Wilson, with her fluted, threaded, combat green, 18" stainless barrel..

Well, my first group was my best, with Winchester 150's,  3 or 4 inches, I proceeded to extend my groups further afield, switching to Hornady 150's, making scope adjustments along the way, as I was tiring of my foot treks back and forth the target to check groups, I had decided to quit as things were getting ugly... but I got back to the truck, and loaded up 3 more Winchesters in my 10 rd Magpul… I don't know why, but I moved my front bag out a little and readjusted it on the old truck hood, I had reduced my magnification back to 6X, took three or four deep breaths and touched off the first two in short order, followed shortly by the third, I actually had a cloud of smoke billowing out of the end of the barrel and the chamber area as the bolt had faithfully locked back on the last round...

lit up the stub of my Backwood's cigar and proceeded to take what I knew would be my last trek down to my "pizza box" target. I wish you could have seen the look on my face when I found 2 round's in 3/8's of an inch, and the 3rd inside 2"s of the first two, as tickled as I was with this old man, I'm honestly even more tickled with Miss Wilson, and the cheap Leopold has amazing glass, I don't care for the reticle, its small, with small hash marks, but that glass is amazing!

I will try to post some pictures of that last group tomorrow, I didn't expect much, but decided to re-adjust and move my front bag again and work on my breathing, and I'm very happy to own an amazing little rifle, sometimes you do get what you pay for...

6 minutes ago, billymagg said:

pictures coming shortly,  my tech assistant is busy with the boss, he's going to turning 9 months old here very shortly and he has me on his own deadlines!!! I almost hated to clean Miss Wilson, and I didn't dare shoot another group yesterday.... sorry for the delay my friends......

Resized952020073095142951.jpg

Edited by billymagg