• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Any Ham operators here?

RedRiverII

In study mode,  well I'm in the pass the exam mode anyhow.  Way too much info to enjoy and savor,  the real learning is yet to come.  @Lane Thanks once again for your help.  I'll look into the repeater networks come Monday or maybe Sun. evening.  I read somewhere online that a member of my community says there's a repeater about one mile away from me. ???  I never would have entered a community like this if I wasn't married.  The place is run by Miss Prissy Botton and Mr. Sackless Sam.   BTW I'm in a community with an HOA.  Home owners associations generally shoot down altering the appearance of structures.  i.e. I haven't seen any antennas. So I'm going to have to get devious and covert.  I've seen some videos with attic antennas and such,  gutter tech,  very LARGE pink flamingo sculptures,  we're talking 7 foot high flamingo and sunflower antennas.  I may put a Flamingo out front just to break balls.  Any experience with antenna subterfuge?  As a newbie I get to think outside the box for a while,  because I don't know any better.  The easiest solution is to have a car/truck antenna.  The HOA has no say so on our cars.  I can put an antenna on the car roof and run a wire into the house.  I can see passing this General exam by remembering as many points as I can,  but there's no way for me to enjoy the challenge  " of getting "  the info.   The math alone is nerve wracking,  I will memorize the few answers,  and then learn the formulas when going for the Extra.  I read the manual, ARRL 9th edition,  1/2 of Buck's book,  and am now listening to the General prep on Audible.  If someone is looking for another hobby that's useful,  fun,  challenging,  and perhaps lifesaving,  Amateur Radio is all of those things.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/6/2020 at 4:53 PM, RedRiverII said:

I read somewhere online that a member of my community says there's a repeater about one mile away from me. ???

Yes. Having programmed the CHIRP data file for you; I can confirm you have quite a few within about 5 miles (some should be very close). Hopefully you can figure out how to copy and paste; or directly program your radio with it.

There's a whole lot to discuss in terms of antenna options. For a tech; you could consider indoor antennas in a window if you want to enhance VHF/UHF work. Once you go general; the HF antennas can get quite large. Do you have one or more trees (can you hide a small wire)? 

Attic antennas can work really well if construction isn't problematic. Even a few too many pieces of sheet metal could make that a frustrating proposition though. 

I do love the idea of absurd outdoor installations like the flamingo. A flagpole is pretty low key if you can swing it (they really can not tell you no by law). HF antennas on top of a vehicle is pretty absurd; but you do what you need to do when you have an HOA.

You've probably seen the band plan before; but it helps to remember what the limits are. I remember a few questions in that area.

When you get situated on the 2m/70cm; you might be surprised how flexible it can be (especially down there). Quite frankly; despite passing tech and general the same day, I cut my teeth on VHF/UHF for years before even attempting HF. There is a TON of neat stuff you can do without ever touching the lower bands. 

Band_Chart_Image_for_ARRL_Web.jpg

Figured I would add a few more pictures while I'm at it (inspiration?). Here is a peek at a reverse engineering project I messed with today.

Using quite a few different SDRs; but the one with the screen isn't helpful at the given moment. I was finally able to compile decoder software on my computer to use the USB dongle (~$15) . I made an antenna from a wire stub quick; and tuned it with the software gain (to not pick up garbage). I can capture data from a 900MHz ISM device. Now...To decode that.

IMG_6425.JPG

re.png

@Lane  I am confused,  which Chirp data file for me?  I'm just back from the exam and my head is still swimming in data,  info,  and exam questions.  I passed the General BTW.  One more to go.  The Amateur Expert is next.  I figure to get it out of the way while I'm knee deep in study mode.  I'll get on the radio this afternoon and learn some stuff.  Once I know the correct questions to ask you I will.  Thanks.

Interesting gadget above,  and file.  What is it?  Are you doing all radio through the computer?  Man this is exciting stuff especially since I don't know what the heck I'm doing.  So far I've been receiving local weather and shorts bursts of comms from others. 

2 hours ago, RedRiverII said:

@Lane  I am confused,  which Chirp data file for me?  I'm just back from the exam and my head is still swimming in data,  info,  and exam questions.  I passed the General BTW.  One more to go.  The Amateur Expert is next.  I figure to get it out of the way while I'm knee deep in study mode.  I'll get on the radio this afternoon and learn some stuff.  Once I know the correct questions to ask you I will.  Thanks.

Interesting gadget above,  and file.  What is it?  Are you doing all radio through the computer?  Man this is exciting stuff especially since I don't know what the heck I'm doing.  So far I've been receiving local weather and shorts bursts of comms from others. 

Congrats on the general :thumbup:

Cool,  thanks @Lane.  @Magwa thanks,  what's the furthest contact?  which country? I'm about ton have my first contact from a local repeater as soon as I get a few chores done.  Figuring out distances and methods to contact Europe should be my next goal.  This Baofeng is good for local and learning the radio,  but I'm going to have a Happy Holiday,  drunken sailor,  damn the torpedos buying spree pretty soon.  Gotta figure out the antenna challenge, i.e. HOA rules.  I may go with running the wire in my attic,  but would like to know some local folks who do the same.  We may be getting an Amateur Extra class set up locally.  We have 12 folks so far and if we get to 15 we're good.  20 folks and it's a definite.

6 hours ago, RedRiverII said:

Cool,  thanks @Lane.  @Magwa thanks,  what's the furthest contact? 

Made an HF shot from Florida back to Ft Lewis, WA, just pissing around during training.  Routinely made HF shots from South Korea to Japan while on training deployments in Korea.  HF isn't hard, but it's completely different to play with over other bands, AND your antenna needs to be exactly on-the-money for those longer shots. 

@jtallen83 When I first looked at the exam I knew I wasn't cut out for this,  but I took it on as a challenge.  I went to QRZ.com and for no charge began taking the practice tests.  Failed the first few and then started to improve.  The questions are the actual questions from the test.  You will start to recognize the correct answers after a while.  I did forty tests and averaged high 80's.  Never did get a 100% but didn't need it.  You don't need to do the math,  just recognize the correct answer.  You don't need to understand all the tech stuff.  Merely recognize the answers.  As I progressed some of the material started to gel in my head.  I began to understand and continue to understand all the different areas.  I see why they ask the questions they do but it isn't necessary to comprehend the subject matter,  that will come later,  really.  I used the stubbornness technique,  I just didn't quit.  I became angry at myself several times but would not quit and I'm glad I didn't.  BTW,  after a while you can read just the answers and know the question.  You'll pin out the correct answer with out reading the question.  When you're at that point the test is a breeze.

@Lane  I am going to look up that Balun.  I think I'll be able to use HF even though I live in an HOA community.  I did not use the radio last night,  I'm  in the middle of a family crisis type thing.  I feel certain I'll overcome the antenna challenge one way or another.

@Magwa what kind of elevation are you at?  Are you in the mountains or surrounded by them?  It is awesome that you can talk to someone across the world,  have you done any of the moon bounce,  aurora,  or other atmospheric type transmissions?

1 hour ago, RedRiverII said:

@Lane  I am going to look up that Balun.  I think I'll be able to use HF even though I live in an HOA community.  I did not use the radio last night,  I'm  in the middle of a family crisis type thing.  I feel certain I'll overcome the antenna challenge one way or another.

@Magwa what kind of elevation are you at?  Are you in the mountains or surrounded by them?  It is awesome that you can talk to someone across the world,  have you done any of the moon bounce,  aurora,  or other atmospheric type transmissions?

I am at only 1450 elevation down on the breaks of the Clearwater river I have not done satellite, moon bounce I am pretty much old school and use the skip and sunphases to reach certain places it is all dependent on the skip sometimes good most times the last few years not so good... I like 20 m and 10 m and 40

2 hours ago, RedRiverII said:

I went to QRZ.com and for no charge began taking the practice tests.  Failed the first few and then started to improve.  The questions are the actual questions from the test.  You will start to recognize the correct answers after a while.

I always did better with tests than daily homework, looks like I may have a New Years resolution.  :thumbup:

10 hours ago, RedRiverII said:

Japanese ham's abound.  That's a distant contact,  Ft. Lewis.  Any special time of year or time of day?

I was always in Korea in October, and made the HF shots to Okinawa, Japan easily.  The HF shot from Florida to Ft Lewis was in May.  All HF shots made using a directional ground wire, cut-to-length for the transmit frequency.

Sat-com in Korea is hard as fuk, because of the terrain.  121* direction, 19* takeoff angle. The takeoff angle is what fuks you, because, hills.  Everywhere.  You have to pick your comms site carefully, based on that...  It fuks you on every mission, even when you plan for it...

@jtallen83 If you want I could loan you my ARRL manual as a study guide to supplement the exam practice.  During the practice exams some subjects interested me right away.  I had to look up what was being tested out of curiosity.   As it turns out I did not need the manual but it was a handy reference at times.  Best of Luck!

@98Z5V,  I'm still working out the antenna ideas.  My HOA is as restrictive as most others.  There's HOA rules and then there's my rules,  Subterfuge 101.   That 7' pink flamingo may be just the ticket.  The attic wire antenna may also be the least expensive and best in class answer to the challenge.  Thankfully or not,  Florida is flat as a pancake for the most part.  I have clear sailing East from my position.  The ocean is only twelve miles away.

Edited by RedRiverII
sp.

I'll throw in my vote for attic wire antenna. I've been through a few trials in that regard.

My setup is generally an attic wire, dipole pair, on the third floor (in the ceiling); nearly as high as can be. Might not even need those baluns, and I tried fan dipoles before too (proved hard to tune for transmit). There is a mountain peak to the west that blocks almost everything. But I have a straight line of sight for N, S, and East. I've tried getting "better" work with antennas in taller trees; and it was not been better for me in reality. Sometimes the simple solution is the best (or is at least less effort).

Guessing topography is why I got Germany and not Japan (also reasonably certain @Magwa being 2,000 miles west of me give him an advantage in hitting Japan direct). I'm sure the locals in Florida can give you a good idea of what you can expect in terms of HF.

@98Z5V What is up with your ground antenna operation? I assume that includes some kind of tree wire as well? Not a pure ground wire antenna? I presume some of that was operation oriented in terms of what was allowed; some I'm extra curious there. Not sure if @RedRiverII can actually use a tree with an HOA; but hiding ground wires alone might actually work (perhaps not ideal)?

@jtallen83 The home work didn't help me either. Just studied for the tests; licenses are valid for life if you remember to renew every decade or so. :thumbup:                 

^^^ @jtallen83,   What he said is correct plus you get a two year grace period passing the ten years.  During that two year extra time period you cannot transmit,  but you can renew.  OK you're off to a great start because we just covered one question on the exam,  perhaps two.  Ten year period,  and two year grace period.

67C12673-139C-4EF2-B29B-4AE21094719A_4_5005_c.jpeg

1656D43D-E4DD-46DC-AEF9-A18CEC73D7ED_4_5005_c.jpeg