• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Any Ham operators here?

RedRiverII

23 hours ago, RedRiverII said:

This one goes for $26.61,  I didn't know about the programming cable or CHIRP or the repeater book. 

Here's the programming cable, for laptop/USB use on a computer.  You don't have to buy it from here, this is just an example of what works:

https://www.radioddity.com/products/baofeng-usb-programming-cable

28-020-122_02_a34d2580-7d6e-4795-a94e-bd75aa4d3943.jpg?v=1599017829

You can download CHIRP for free, and program to your heart's content...   :thumbup:

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Download

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's RepeaterBook in case you haven't found it yet. There are apps for iPhone and Android as well. I've used all of the above; and below on the road from time to time myself.

Here's a links for Florida in particular. Just start browsing by location, band, and/or feature: https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/index.php?country_code=US&state_id=12

Quick and dirty directional antenna I made to use with my UV-5R a while back. Three loops; not super well tuned, but it works well enough as it is. I could do a lot better these days if I had a need to do so. Just chopped off a short coax adapter cable, and soldered the wire antenna in.

IMG_6409.JPG

6 minutes ago, Lane said:

Quick and dirty directional antenna I made to use with my UV-5R a while back. Three loops; not super well tuned, but it works well enough as it is. I could do a lot better these days if I had a need to do so. Just chopped off a short coax adapter cable, and soldered the wire antenna in.

IMG_6409.JPG

What range?  HF, VHF, UHF...  

It's around 1.3" diameter. An acceptable dual band UHF/VHF; not exactly well tuned for either band as I recall. 

As long as you don't transmit; you can endlessly toy with antenna designs for fun. Simple designs with measured dimensions can be very sensitive to a specific frequency.

Should have mentioned.

The antenna wire was wrapped around a 35mm film can to make it. Coil expanded a bit after the fact. I built it to fox hunt, and it seemed to qualify for that purpose. I even build a Fox that fits inside of a 35mm film can; including the LiPo battery to power it. It was designed to transmit a signal the UV-5R and other cheap radios could seek and find. Has a cheap silicon labs SDR chip, and dumb microcontroller inside, battery charger, etc.... 

and Fun both the wife and I are Generals we run the local nets here from time to time we have a good local club and do a lot with search and rescue and also help with boat races as the mountains here are killer and distance.. we both have Baofengs and Yaesu FT 60,s we also transmit on 2 mm band on a Yaesu FT 2900 which is a 75 watt radio it gets out really well  and I am building a DX station on a I-com 735 it is a older radio but works quite well my plan is to have a Yagi style antenna on the flat side  to use as my distance station...

• 2 weeks later...

I've been studying.  Dang those who say it's an easy exam.  If someone would take a course it might become easier.  I'm trying to cram all these topics in my brain all at once.  Tough stuff.  Each topic taken alone and with some time,  I guess it's simple enough but I'm one of those " me want,  me want now,"  types.  Anyway I take the exam Sunday.  I had a dream last night and all of the facts and figures were dancing in my head like the brooms and mops in Fantasia.  I'm ready.

Edited by RedRiverII
sp.

I don't know anyone who thought it was an easy test to study for. That initial tech test is tough because it requires knowledge about a broad range of topics; many of which aren't terribly applicable to basic use of a radio. Especially without experience (which it tough to get without a license), or exposure to a wide range of operation; it's mostly book learning. Too much rote learning, and associative learning is required for that initial test in my personal opinion... The general class exam is the one that tests barely any additional information.

How are you scores on practice tests recently? 

I got them up to the high 80's.  I did the hamstudy.org test for an hour today and lost maybe 5 questions.  I did the prep work and will pass this thing.  The easy folks were the exam prep course folks.  Maybe they're electrical engineers and such.  I did operate ECM gear but that was 50 years ago.  Electric countermeasures during the Cold War,  dang I've been around for awhile.  The radio's were the size of 20 double stacked file cabinets.  Thanks for the back up @Lane.  I bought a few books and study courses.  If you know anyone interested in this exam I suggest hamstudy.org because it is a self correcting type practice exam.  If you get something wrong you can click the corner box and it'll explain the question,  then they will ask the question again in a few more minutes.  

1 minute ago, RedRiverII said:

I got them up to the high 80's

You should be fine with those scores. My experience was the actual exams were not full of the hardest questions in the test bank.

I wonder how fast they are processing new licenses these days? I got my call sign in about a week when I did my testing years ago... It was posted online first; and then I got the physical paperwork in the mail about a week or so beyond that. Can't wait to hear about your results on Sunday.

5 hours ago, Lane said:

Can't wait to hear about your results on Sunday.

Yes post up the results. I have been ready for the general twice but some bull shiit came up and I didn’t make the trip to take the test. It’s a couple hours from me. The local club is very sporadic and kinda flakey on giving the test so have not up graded yet. Someday it will come together.

KD8VUV here :-).

Took Tech and General same day. Had really studied Tech hard and gotten well into General. I am a 98%-100% guy on tests, that is my goal and I achieved it. Took another month to study for Extra.

I used the online study and drilled about 1/2 hour a day.

Some actual learning, some rote memory.

One clue I found is that if stumped "the longest answer is often the correct one".

And on forward resistance of diodes "if it starts with G the answer is .3, the others are .7".....created that one on my own :-). Germanium is the "G". :-).

Check not only your answers but also check how you have filled out the answer sheet, it is one that you darken in ellipses...people will get one off than miss all the subsequent ones. I have helped with the tests, and honestly most people pass. Most places you can pay and re test, the next test will be different questions. You can elect to skip the math too.

OK,  newer info which I think is correct.  You can set up the exam online,  especially with this Covid panic.  I hear it may be a pita but a 4 hour ride it is not.    It was explained to me the results are rapid now.  The info goes directly into a computer at the test site,  I understand 24 hrs. is the new norm.  I'd bet money on that info but wouldn't bet my life.   @willbird I picked that longest answer habit they have as well.  Although they put in a few long answer that seems identical until you read the whole question.  Thankfully there are only a few questions meant to confuse the test taker,  most of them are seeking to grasp the test takers retained knowledge.  Shooting for 98-100 is never a bad goal.  I have two more days of study and will use that time for more prep.    My initial error was trying to understand all the new concepts while studying which proved monumental since I only gave myself two weeks to study.  @Magwa no more morse code requirement which you may already be aware of.  Thanks for the well wishing,  back to the books.

Overall I think there are test taking skills. Another thing I forgot to mention is watching out for A being right, and C being right, and D being "A and C" :-).

2 weeks would be a heavy lift to really absorb the maths, absorbing the maths is good really but a heavy lift in 2 weeks probably. But drilling all the question questions and just totally blowing off the math will get the job done, and the only people who ever see your score are at the test site :-). The test result is purely binary really :-). Pass/Fail....but General and Extra to a degree build on the base from learning all the Technician material. 

The question pool for Extra is a lot bigger and the test is 50 questions, I sweated Extra a LOT more :-).

There is a place to look online to see when your call sign is assigned, it took me about a week as I recall, and that was in 2013

Bill

I talked with the VE's ( Volunteer Examiners) a couple of times.  The FRN# from the FCC is a must before taking the exam.  I think having that # makes the data entry that much simpler.  I've yet to see those combo answers on the Tech exam.  All of the above I've seen,  but not  A)  C and D are correct.Maybe on the higher ranks.  In the beginning I thought I could not grasp all the info.  After a few days of not surrendering to my doubts concepts began to gel,  wrong answers became clearer,  and the discipline mode set in.  I cannot do 20 pushups until I can do 2,  discipline rules supreme.  I may take the general on the same day if they still allow multiple tests.  Expert is way off for now.  I bought a Baofeng UV5R and have not even tried it yet or downloaded CHIRP.

Yeah, don't out think yourself my man. That can be worse than anything at times.

I remember when I was sitting for my 1st class engineer license (way back when). The instructor gave us a warning that sometimes, there would be two correct answers in the multiple choice section of the test. And that they were looking for the "more correct" answer of the two. Talk about a mind FUK. :lmao:

Just keep on practicing whatever way that you're comfortable with man. You'll do ok.

52 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

Yeah, don't out think yourself my man. That can be worse than anything at times.

I remember when I was sitting for my 1st class engineer license (way back when). The instructor gave us a warning that sometimes, there would be two correct answers in the multiple choice section of the test. And that they were looking for the "more correct" answer of the two. Talk about a mind FUK. :lmao:

Just keep on practicing whatever way that you're comfortable with man. You'll do ok.

Same thing with the Advanced Electrical class in the motorcycle school I went through.  Same speech.  Dude told me I got a 99 on the final test, and I argued with him.  He tried that "more correct answer" shiit on me, and I broke it all down, by the question, and told him why my answer was "the more correct answer..." 

The lights came on - he'd been teaching this for 4 years.  He says...   You're RIGHT!  Fuk yeah I'm right, based on your question.  He upgraded my score to 100, but it bothered him deeply - he was wondering how many people he fucked over for the years with that question, and even talked to me about it afterwards.  I just laughed, and asked "Did they graduate?..."   Then don't sweat it...   :laffs:

I had a SERIOUS problem with him telling me that my answer was wrong, though, when I had the shiit to back it up...   It's the small victories, men, that count.   :thumbup:

On 10/30/2020 at 11:35 AM, RedRiverII said:

I talked with the VE's ( Volunteer Examiners) a couple of times.  The FRN# from the FCC is a must before taking the exam.  I think having that # makes the data entry that much simpler.  I've yet to see those combo answers on the Tech exam.  All of the above I've seen,  but not  A)  C and D are correct.Maybe on the higher ranks.  In the beginning I thought I could not grasp all the info.  After a few days of not surrendering to my doubts concepts began to gel,  wrong answers became clearer,  and the discipline mode set in.  I cannot do 20 pushups until I can do 2,  discipline rules supreme.  I may take the general on the same day if they still allow multiple tests.  Expert is way off for now.  I bought a Baofeng UV5R and have not even tried it yet or downloaded CHIRP.

The "A and C" example is just a general "how to do better at tests" hint :-). I am a VE but I really do  not have time to help out much. It is somewhat a shame that some tests involve subtle attempts to trip up the test taker so that getting a good score is a combination of knowing the material (what the test is supposed to be grading) and seeing how good the test taker is at taking tests :-).

Fortunately for Hams your score does not matter a bit.

Bill

20 minutes ago, willbird said:

Fortunately for Hams your score does not matter a bit.

That goes along with the old saying 

What do you call the person who graduated last in his class at med school?  Doctor.

There was a similar saying in optometry school.  

C = OD

which means that as long as you get at least a C in all of your classes, you will still pass and get you doctorate of optometry degree.

For the record, I did not get any C's.

I did pass the test today and appreciate these conversations.  I continued to study up to an hour before leaving my house.  I used the Laurel VEC group which allowed me to take the exam without any cash payment.  $15 more for stuff.  Out of 40 practice exams I never did get 100%,  but did manage to average the high 80's.  I tried the General exam while there but did not pass,  I took a shot.  I'm glad in a way because now I get to study some more and stretch out some of the gray matter furls.  

I did buy and will return my Baofeng UV5R.  It was too much of a nuisance programming with CHIRP,  for me anyway.   After all was said and done my cost ran about a $100.  I'll get a refund and search elsewhere.  I'm still up in the air about which radio to get.  I may just get the Kenwood D74A and forget about all the others.  IDK...shrug.  

Often asked question I get,  " What are you going to do with it?"  Well,  I'm shooting for communicating with the World.  That seems a big enough reason and a task that will keep me busy for a long time.  Of course I realize I'll begin with local areas and continue to learn.  My initial reason for Ham Radio was assisting others or pleading for help if the situation arises for myself.  My Nextel went down during 911 as did most phone service.  There are plenty of folks home bound and reach out for contact as they can.  I can lend an ear.  

I gotta walk the pup,  later.