• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Kimber leaves Yonkers, NY

Kimber is out - tired of the bullshiit.

https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2020/10/27/kimber-moving-headquarters/

Kimber Moving Headquarters To Troy, AL

Posted at 7:00 pm on October 27, 2020 by Tom Knighton

I’ve always been a little amazed at how many gun companies call themselves home in various anti-gun states. These are states where the powers that be want to destroy their entire business, and yet many have stayed there for some insane reason.

However, that’s been changing in recent years. Several companies have bailed on their anti-gun states and sought refuge in friendlier climates.

It seems we can now add Kimber to that group as well.

Kimber Manufacturing, a company that makes a variety of firearms and ammunition, is transitioning its corporate headquarters from New York to its facility in Troy, Alabama.

The decision to change the location of the company’s headquarters was first announced last week, and much of the work has already been completed.

A release from the company notes that “leadership, R&D and manufacturing resources” are now in place at the 225,000 square-foot facility in Troy.

Kimber is now “adding staff across all departments” to complete the transition.

The gunmaker’s massive presence in the Wiregrass is still relatively new. Governor Kay Ivey first announced it in her state of the state address in 2018. At the time, it was described as a manufacturing capacity expansion, not a new headquarters, but the executives at Kimber appear to have grown fond of the Yellowhammer State.

The gunmaker was founded in Yonkers, New York, in 1979 and remained headquartered there until its recent transition to Alabama.

Of course, New York isn’t friendly to Kimber customers. While most, if not all, of Kimber’s offerings are still legal in the state, it’s still not a good place to be a gun owner. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

As such, it makes sense to relocate to a state that won’t look at you like you’re 55 kinds of evil just for existing.

Enter Alabama.

Now, as a Georgian, I make a lot of jokes at Alabama’s expense, but the state is most definitely a pro-gun state where Kimber will find a great many supporters. It’s not likely to find oppressive governmental overreach hitting their bottom line, something I wouldn’t rule out in New York.

Honestly, as more and more gun companies are relocating to pro-gun states, particularly in the Deep South, you’d think that if the gun industry was big enough to terrify congressmen as some have suggested, then the economic repercussions of angering the industry would keep states from passing gun control. It’s clearly not.

Especially when you have a company laying off hundreds of employees on Monday with no severance package.

At the end of the day, Kimber is finding a new home. As time rolls on, you’ll see more and more companies based in pro-gun states as anti-gunners run them and the millions of dollars they bring into local communities away. Frankly, many of the poorer states in the South could use the jobs, so we thank the anti-gunners for their hard work in boosting the economies of many of these communities.

Oh, the didn’t mean to do it, but results matter in the grander scheme of things.

@Radioactive I'm not offended at all; I have the same opinion of this place, and the things they keep doing to businesses and residents.

Our state Attorney General keeps sending out threatening letters to online retailers; some of whom will no longer sell regular parts to NY residents. Mostly places stopped shipping 80% receivers quite a while ago. A number of businesses will not longer even send a finished lower to an FFL for a NY resident (PSA is one of them). Just yesterday I heard LaRue won't sell a handguard (but triggers are still fine). All of this without any force of law, just a threatening letter that says selling parts is illegal in NY State because people "could" build illegal "assault weapons". 

The ultimate goal appears to be preventing anyone from building (and perhaps repairing) their own firearms. There are a few laws waiting in the wings that could do just that. Imaging having to go to a gunsmith to install a new trigger (legally)? Or having to pay a licensed gunsmith to assemble a lower receiver for you? Do I need to pay to have them apply oil, or clean the gun? The absurdity is almost unbearable.

I'm honestly shocked Kimber lasted as long as they did in Yonkers. I'm sure Cuomo is thinking "good riddance", as long as he keeps his horde of armed guards and bomb sniffing dogs around at all times (that last part isn't even a joke; man is paranoid as all hell).

13 hours ago, Lane said:

Our state Attorney General keeps sending out threatening letters to online retailers; some of whom will no longer sell regular parts to NY residents. Mostly places stopped shipping 80% receivers quite a while ago. A number of businesses will not longer even send a finished lower to an FFL for a NY resident (PSA is one of them). Just yesterday I heard LaRue won't sell a handguard (but triggers are still fine). All of this without any force of law, just a threatening letter that says selling parts is illegal in NY State because people "could" build illegal "assault weapons".

Ronnie Barrett was one of the very first gun manufacturers to show enough balls to do this, and he did it decades ago, to California.  Cali banned the Barrett M82 rifle, so Ronnie banned all firearms sales to Cali.  Since then, we've seen more and more gun/magazine/components manufacturers "unfriending" gun-hostile states. 

One of two things will ultimately happen - those state residents, of those afected "banned states" will VOTE and fix the issue - or they won't fix the issue - and will be forced to move to another state, in order to enjoy their freedom.

Citizens can fix these states with these stupid gun laws - by voting those shiitheads OUT.  That'll take decades. // Break //  People can move. 

^^^  That's the dumbed-down version, but it's the only way to fix this.

Ronnie Barrett proved that a business can literally "cut off some customers" and still survive, as a business.  Others followed suit - even knowing that they might lose some money - but in the long run, they'll still survive. Sucks for the residents, but again - we're back at that Hard Question...  

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Cali banned the Barrett M82 rifle, so Ronnie banned all firearms sales to Cali.

This is actually a wise move; and I support that kind of "compliance" as a means of retaliation. I get it... But in NY, there still aren't any laws or bans behind this recent behavior. Just empty threats on a form letter sent by the AG. Quite frankly; I think that harassment by the AG should be illegal in itself. I wonder if Kimber got one or more of these letters too?

I saw an anecdotal mention that "some" company (Kimber?) was blocked from buying an adjacent industrial property to expand a manufacturing plant. While I couldn't verify that part myself; I did find some interesting news from March. Apparently Kimber had to shut down it's manufacturing plant due to Covid-19 regulations here in New York. There was a lot of specificity in those regulations; and a lot of niche businesses had to seek explicit approval to re-open again because they weren't explicitly mentioned in a re-opening Phase. Even now; long after the Phase 4 re-opening; there are business that are not allowed to operate at anything close to full, or even reasonable capacity. Cuomo beat it into our heads that there are only Four Phases... Does that mean the rules we live under now are "forever rules"? I honestly don't know... For example, movie theaters were forced to remain closed until just last week; and still can't re-open in NYC. 

With that information; I'm reasonably certain the Covid-19 shutdowns might have been a large factor in Kimber moving operations and manufacturing to Alabama. Paying rent and upkeep on buildings you can't use for months on end is sure to affect the bottom line. Not to mention; with guns selling faster than they can hit the shelves, it's a bad time to be bending over for a shutdown that has no known end point. With second wave shutdowns happening in Europe; it's just foolish to believe NYS is going to loosen restrictions further anytime soon. It looks like they moving to 100% remote learning at most all of the state universities following Thanksgiving (https://www.suny.edu/suny-news/press-releases/10-20/10-27-20/covid-test-thanksgiving-break.html). How much longer before K-12 schools are forced to follow suit? If businesses meet a second wave of shutdowns; it's going to be game over for a whole lot more of them.

I was just spit-balling about those issues; apparently there is a lot of truth to Cuomo getting in their way...

https://www.nssf.org/kimber-chooses-southern-hospitality-over-new-york-contempt-for-corporate-headquarters/

A separate article specially mentions that the NY pause orders made Kimber shut down their existing Troy, Alabama assembly line. Many of the small parts it relied on had been made in the NY factory. When Cuomo forced the NY factory closed for an indefinite period of time; they absolutely needed to make other plans.

Blame Cuomo.

19 hours ago, Lane said:

Blame Cuomo.

Works for me - his idiotic edict that returned elders with COVID directly to nursing homes had a very direct impact on how bad COVID really GOT in this country.  New York blew up, and further infected the rest of this country.

Hell yeah, Blame Cuomo.  His dumbass decisions directly impacted how bad this virus GOT in the US.  The stories are out there - if you can find them anymore, being that most of that shiit got scrubbed from the 'net. 

29 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

his idiotic edict that returned elders with COVID directly to nursing homes had a very direct impact on how bad COVID really GOT in this country.  New York blew up, and further infected the rest of this country.

That information is still out there. I spent some time trying to find the specific daily press conferences where Cuomo defended his nursing home decisions (before finally; and much later realizing he could blame CDC/Trump)... In the end; all those press conferences were all televised, and published on youTube by various media outlets. If someone has the time, and the technology to assemble all of those (youtube-dl and a huge hard drive); it could help deal a death blow come 2022 when Cuomo is running for re-election again. Chronologically, those press conferences are a non-stop string of back-peddling; and flat out lies.

As someone who watched many of the early press conferences yelling at the TV; it's most disappointing to watch Cuomo's condescending quips, and belittling attitude towards the local reporters grilling him on serious issues (at the end of every press conference). Any criticism he doesn't want to answer to is always labeled a "political attack from the other side" (including the nursing home issue). Last I heard; administration still hadn't released the actual data from the "voluntary surveys" they collected to "prove" that Cuomo wasn't at fault for the nursing home spread. I wonder how many of those "voluntary surveys" got lost because they didn't fit the data absolving Cuomo of responsibility? Science speaks for itself; but Cuomo has been unable and fully unwilling to present any data to the general public. It's going to be very interesting when that finally shakes out in the end (because it can not be hidden forever).

NY had plenty of opportunity to slow down, or even stop the spread. Cuomo and NYC mayor De Blasio agreed that it would be "impossible" to shut down NYC; or quarantine in any way. Allowing passengers to return freely on flights from Europe when Italy was already shut down, it was the same issue; "impossible to shut down NYC". Even then, the general public was aware of temperature scans, and other means of checking on people returning from overseas travel (it was happening all over Europe already). Cuomo's BS about "not knowing the virus was coming from Europe" is a lie that even Cuomo himself would have trouble defending given the timeline. 

Sadly; this is just the tip of the iceberg here in NY State as a whole. One ripple that shut down a gun factory in Alabama because of the NY PAUSE doesn't phase Cuomo a bit. There are plenty of people still out of work six months later; with absolutely no prospects for the future. They certainly won't be working in their chosen industries before Christmas. Some things like concerts and large venues are hinting it might be September of 2021 before they are able to resume/re-open. I'm not even sure I could fabricate a complete list of all the industries that are currently still at 25% capacity; or totally shut down... The business landscape is changing rapidly as many have shuttered for good in the past months. Think of the strippers (who can't work state-wide)!!! Do you really want strippers cashing you out at the grocery store instead (ok, maybe that's a bad example; because I kind of do)?

On a slightly more serious note; this is likely to continue for many years to come... Those ripples are just starting to fling people out of the pool, as we see with Kimber here... It takes time to pick up a factory and move it to another state. It's going to become a lot more serious if a second round of school and business shut-downs spreads through NY. NYC and surrounding metro areas are still far below normal capacity in both residence, and business operations (which is a tax revenue issue among other things). There was a mass exodus around the time the initial shutdown started. I still wonder how all this will change the voting landscape this year. Does it break the gerrymandered districts in NY or surrounding states?

4 minutes ago, Lane said:

It takes time to pick up a factory and move it to another state.

Yes it does.  And it takes committment.  It takes the realization of "I'm not going to take this ANYMORE!"

That's what it comes to.  being fed up with the bullshiit.

Same with residents - and we see residents leaving that state IN DROVES.  Just because of the policies/taxes/bullshiit.  People are fed up with it.  They're leaving, and they've been elaving for years now.

When the time comes to move, brother - I have a temporary bunk for you, out here in AZ.  Let's see how "purple" AZ plays out this election, before any decisions to "jump off the bridge" comes.  If AZ goes to shiit - I'm not scared.  I'll leave this fucker right away.  My skills are portable - means I own my skills, and I can apply them anywhere.  I've moved so many times, militarily, that moving somewhere knew doesn't phase me in the least.  If this place turns into a shiitbucket, I'll drop it right now, pack my shiit, and go somewhere else more "friendly" to what I like.  Too many people are hung up about "I could never leave this place..."

Sure you can.  You can leave right now, and live a better life, some other place. We all can.  We're just too scared to uproot, and do it.  I'm not. I've uprooted for more than 20 years, moving (sometimes) every single year.  Most I ever staying somewhere at once, was 5 years total. 10 years when you count that I went right back to that same place, after a tour in Korea.

Don't be afraid to move.  The grass CAN be greener on the other side.  If you get there, and it's not - minor mistake, but it was better than what you left...  Right?  Get out, then, and go to where it IS greener.  For real. 

One thing to REMEMBER, when you go somewhere else - DO NOT TAKE YOUR POLITICS WITH YOU.  Do not.  Example - Durango CO, Boulder, CO, Boseman, MT...   Austin, TX, too...  Mass exodus from California, by Californians, to those areas - wrecked those areas.  Why?  Those that left Cali took their "politics" with them, applied those politics to where they moved to - and wrecked those areas. 

Starting in the mid-80s, that happened, too, as exodus Cali's moved up the Left Coast, to Oregon, and Washington - those two states are now a Liberal Wasteland, these days.  I lived it - I was in it, and watched it go down.  Right during those times, military.  Wasn't my choice, I went where I was sent.  Loved Cali in the mid-80s to early '90s.  Loved Washington in the early '90s until I left in 2004...   Then, WA went to shiit, shortly there after...  Lib policies wrecked it.  Sold my house there in 2007, because I knew I could never, ever live there again - no matter how much I loved the terrain, areas, and the things that you can do there.  Dive the Puget Sound on Saturday, go skiiing on Crystal Mountain in Sunday...  4-Wheel Evans Creek ORV Area this weekend, go scuba diving and skiing the following weekend...   Nope.  Can't go back.  Amazing there.  Too many Liberals in charge, and Seattle has proven that.

This is not a bash in Cali people, WA people - this is a bash in Cali Liberals, Washington Liberals, and the spread.  That spread wiped out a great portion of our country, and it's still ongoing right now.  Cali's that were "tired of Cali" started it, and it was started in the mid-'80s.  Gang-Bangin' had a large part to do with it, and so did the drug-trade, out of SoCal, into Middle-Cal, and then right up the Left Coast, infecting OR, then WA...   

I could go on about this for hours, with personal experience to back it all up.  Already lived it. 

If AZ turns to shiit - I'm OUT.  No personal feelings, no hesitation, not scared.  I'll move towards a free-er state, and won't think twice about it.  Never thought I'd have to make that decision, in AZ - but if I have to, it won't bother me in the least.  I'll be OUT. 

5 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Let's see how "purple" AZ plays out this election, before any decisions to "jump off the bridge" comes.  If AZ goes to shiit - I'm not scared.  I'll leave this fucker right away.  My skills are portable - means I own my skills, and I can apply them anywhere.

You and me both brother. I'm really not sure what color any state will be this year... It's NOT going to be the same as 2016, that is for damn sure!

I don't talk much about what I do (it sounds kind of pretentious); but I can work out of the trunk of my car if need be, or any old hole in the ground. Just keeping my ear to the train tracks these days; wondering what happens next.

18 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Don't be afraid to move.  The grass CAN be greener on the other side.  If you get there, and it's not - minor mistake, but it was better than what you left...  Right?  Get out, then, and go to where it IS greener.  For real.

I'm not exactly afraid to move... I've moved around before; and it was always at a whim. There was some tipping point, and it was time to go. Maybe I packed up in 8 hours and bolted, maybe I had a few weeks. Every time it was always a quick, but surgical operation. I lost a lot of belongings in the process for various reasons (couldn't pack everything in one vehicles, sold stuff to fund something, etc.). 

Also lived the homeless life here and there; and always with a car. So couch surfing, sleeping in my car, camping; whatever it takes to make it happen. I'd rather hold on tight when I'm stable, until I just can't take it anymore. I recently did the math, and even a trunk load of just guns will weigh down my suspension pretty good. Not to mention all the tooling I would "like" to take with them...

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, sketch said:

same here. 8 hours and im gone. This is 12 years ago.. I bet 12 hours and im out now. but id buy a bigger rig in that 12 hours.. shits!

So...  You're moving in with me, is what you're saying?   Just need to know, ahead of time...  Brace MYSELF for your impact...  :popcorn:

Not once we play cowboy and Democrat....wait, probably not a good spot for that reference. I’ll be damned if we don’t learn from our mistakes and we let those libs have casinos though...

All said completely jokingly...with a smile and a laugh. Please don’t take this seriously.  I’ve done enough damage.

On 11/20/2020 at 1:33 AM, 98Z5V said:

So...  You're moving in with me, is what you're saying?   Just need to know, ahead of time...  Brace MYSELF for your impact...  :popcorn:

Sounds like we're gonna have to build more bunks. :laffs:

On 11/20/2020 at 9:50 AM, Magwa said:

Wyoming

THIS has been my final target for years. Why? NO FUKING PEOPLE for the most part.

And we all know how much of a "people person" I am. :lmao::thefinger: