• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Best AR 308 ammo?

Boon

Anything you can find right now friend, availability is extremely limited. I would suggest any clean brand name brass case ammo.... now how about telling us a little more about your rifle and its intended mission?

Feel free to introduce yourself in the new members thread.

Edited by billymagg

To know what the best ammo for you is, we must know what your intentions are when shooting.  There are great long distance target rounds that would not be appropriate for hunting or plinking and vice versa.  That said, any decent ammo you can find at a reasonable price is your best bet at the moment.  There are slim pickings at the moment.

Target & hunting, just a consistent round for semi. This is my first one & I know they are not the same as all the hunting rifles I have shot all my life. It's an Aero Precision M5 308,18" .308 BA Hanson Heavy Profile. Twist is 1:10. My go-to ammo is Hornady and thought you guys could point me in the right direction on a round that would be good for the AR in each situation also I'm well aware of the limited supply as of late........ THANKS BLM!!! lol Really appreciate the help y'all 😉

Short of reloading, Federal Gold Medal Match is a great round in both  168 and 175 grain.  There are also 185 grain Federal Gold Medal Match with Berger Juggernaut bullets that @98Z5V says are the shits for long range.  I don't hunt so maybe @Magwa can fill you in on what he takes elk and deer with when he is hunting.

As always, every rifle and barrel will prefer certain ammo over others.  Shoot what you can get at the moment and find out what yours prefers.

as a great all around weight bullet for 308 i like 168 and also 175 but i shoot 168 90% of the time and hunting 100%of the time I shoot Barnes 168TTSX I have killed 6 bull elk with my DPMS 308 oracle and many deer none of the elk have even made it 10 yards before hitting the ground they flat out turn off the lights....

IMG_20171011_104231655.jpg

1031150956.jpg

2 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Short of reloading, Federal Gold Medal Match is a great round in both  168 and 175 grain.  There are also 185 grain Federal Gold Medal Match with Berger Juggernaut bullets that @98Z5V says are the shits for long range.  I don't hunt so maybe @Magwa can fill you in on what he takes elk and deer with when he is hunting.

As always, every rifle and barrel will prefer certain ammo over others.  Shoot what you can get at the moment and find out what yours prefers.

Those 185 Jugs are badass at distance.  You'll have to experience them next weekend.  They're impressive, and I've been stacking them up against my handloads of 178 Hornady ELD-X, the expanding hunting projectile.  Can't wait to try my 178 ELD-Xs on deer.  Didn't get drawn this year, so maybe next year.  I also just effed up and missed my Javelina Rifle deadline...   FML.

@Magwaonly used Barnes TSX 168s for his hunting ammo.  The Barnes TSX and TTSX are unreal hunting rounds.  Even the 70gr TSX in .224" will turn any AR15 into a badass hunting machine, all the way up to white tail deer.  

On 10/30/2020 at 6:24 PM, Boon said:

Target & hunting, just a consistent round for semi. This is my first one & I know they are not the same as all the hunting rifles I have shot all my life. It's an Aero Precision M5 308,18" .308 BA Hanson Heavy Profile. Twist is 1:10. My go-to ammo is Hornady and thought you guys could point me in the right direction on a round that would be good for the AR in each situation also I'm well aware of the limited supply as of late........ THANKS BLM!!! lol Really appreciate the help y'all 😉

Sounds like you're on the right track, my Wilson loves Hornady 150's as well, it has an 11.25 to 1 twist...

14 hours ago, shooterrex said:

Yep I have about 750 rounds of that from them.

Yep, I may have to plan a trip to Kentucky to help you test those out in a Wilson Combat Tactical Hunter,,, I'd love to see what my rifle does with heavier bullets, I've been shooting 150's to get myself acclimated to the rifle, I do have some 120's and several more 168's

11 hours ago, billymagg said:

Yep, I may have to plan a trip to Kentucky to help you test those out in a Wilson Combat Tactical Hunter,,, I'd love to see what my rifle does with heavier bullets, I've been shooting 150's to get myself acclimated to the rifle, I do have some 120's and several more 168's

I won't have near as many after this week.

On 11/3/2020 at 12:00 AM, 98Z5V said:

That's the truth.  :laffs:

No doubt, Shooter did you save me any of those??? I shot some 150 gr Fed's and some 62 gr Fed green tip in my rifles the night before last, at 145 yds. Both rifles did well, but I don't think either rifle is terribly happy with them. Much better than the Tulammo though!

I bought a 6x24x50 Vortex Diamondback, not bad for Chinese glass, but terrible eye relief even at lower magnification, and I hate the reticle, its great for daylight, but kinda slips as the light fades.. its going back..

any recommendations for something reasonable with a lighted reticule?

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

You want a mil reticle or an MOA reticle - I have two great recommendations for you, pending your preference.   :thumbup:

But to be honest, I'm plunking down some cash for a Wilson barrel for that Wilson Small frame billet, I'm still leaning toward that Wilson 30 cal in the blown out 5.56 case, they have LOTS of ammo, and it looks like it would be very straightforward to reload. There is no 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel to be had in these parts, but 6.5 Creed out the butt...

The 18" Wilson Ultra Light Hunter barrel has been discontinued, it was fluted with no threads... Wilson is putting the brakes on some of their more labor intensive barrels, and cutting down their line of BCG's to all F/A... they have added more billet uppers, standard, lightweight, standard with F/A, and lightweight with F/A...

I like all three of these rounds for the small frame AR, and the 30 cal uses the 5.56 BCG and 300 Blackout mags, a lot simpler conversion, and you can always buy another upper with a 5.56 barrel...

any idea on a small frame non F/A BCG that's in stock??

1 minute ago, billymagg said:

I'm not sure I've got the mil ret dialed in, but I"m willing to listen, what do you have in mind?

For mil, just get the Athlon Talos BTR 4-14 illum mil-dot reticle scope.  This one:

https://athlonoptics.com/product/rifle-scopes-talos-btr-4-14x44-aplr-ffp-ir-mil/

For MOA, I'd recommend the one from Primary Arms, 4-14 with the MOA reticle.  This one:

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-4-14x44mm-ffp-riflescope-arc-2-moa-reticle

If you want/need more magnification over a 14x max, I have other recommendations, neither will break the bank. 

17 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

For mil, just get the Athlon Talos BTR 4-14 illum mil-dot reticle scope.  This one:

https://athlonoptics.com/product/rifle-scopes-talos-btr-4-14x44-aplr-ffp-ir-mil/

For MOA, I'd recommend the one from Primary Arms, 4-14 with the MOA reticle.  This one:

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-4-14x44mm-ffp-riflescope-arc-2-moa-reticle

If you want/need more magnification over a 14x max, I have other recommendations, neither will break the bank. 

Both very nice, though I noticed a couple of reviews mentioned issues with eye relief on the Primary Arms, that was one of the issues with the  vortex, but I loved the side focus, that was very helpful...  I was trying to upgrade my Redfield Battlezone 3 X 9 X 32, but actually the Redfield is pretty good. I found myself maxing out at about 10 to 12 power at 145 yards or so, as it was getting dark..

I really like the Athlon, and I really like illumination.

and I could have gotten a cantilever mount, I just have rail on the receiver, I have a tube handguard..

are there any US, JAP or Phillipine made scopes that are affordable?

I hate giving my business and money to China, I really do!