• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 help please

Dippin Dave

Trying to find out what kind of 308 style lower i got in a parts lot with bunch loose ar parts including a 308 style 80% lower. But after milling it out and spraying it with alumihyde i realized a regular bolt catch pin system wasnt gonna work. There and extra cut out tab on magwell side of the bolt catch slot with a threaded hole through to the magwell. I havent ever seen any other lowers with this design and means of attaching bolt catch. Hopefully the following pics will help someone on here to help me. I dont have any idea of maker and can find nothing anywhere online about this design. Thanks.

20210211_184321.jpg

20210212_000705.jpg

20210212_000948.jpg

1 hour ago, Dippin Dave said:

Ok since the 308 crowd is stumped.

Ran into something like that on a Fulton Armory 308 build I did a few years back for a brother-in-law, just took me a while to remember where I saw it. From the FA web site;

1137923381_FA308receiverinset2small.jpeg.6f81094b29e36e4d91dabb525fa274d6.jpeg

308BoltCatch.thumb.png.6f36e0495546e7f830a8e1bffc308bb4.png

https://www.fulton-armory.com/bolt-catch-screw-and-plate-for-far-308.aspx

Edited by jtallen83
slow response excuse...............

2 hours ago, Dippin Dave said:

Thank you so much now i got something to work with. Im wanting to build a 243 or 7mm-08 as a deer rifle. I have a 243 barrel in parts box i bought couple years ago but the reviews are so mixed on 243 builds. And again thanks 

Run the .243.   It's just a .308 Win case necked down to 6mm.  6mm projectiles are amazing.  What twist rate is the barrel that you have? 

12 minutes ago, Dippin Dave said:

18" 1:10 twist

Stick with projectiles in the 80~100 grain range for that twist, and watch those getting to the 100-gr mark pretty close.  That's about the limit for a 1:10" twist on a .243.  I've got a Rem bolt gun with a 1:9 1/8" twist, that I'm still working on loads for, but I'm hoping that twist let's me shoot the Hornady 108gr ELD-Ms well, and the 103gr ELD-X even better. 

Hornady makes a 90gr GMX that would probably kick ass in that barrel of yours.

1 hour ago, Dippin Dave said:

18" 1:10 twist

See....  you thought we were just snobs on the .308 Winchester cartridge, through semi-auto platforms...   :laffs:

If it goes BANG! when you pull the trigger - we love it here...   :thumbup::hail:  Thought you were gonna "get out some weird shiit" talking about that .243, didn't ya?...   :popcorn:

5 hours ago, Dippin Dave said:

Thank you so much now i got something to work with. Im wanting to build a 243 or 7mm-08 as a deer rifle. I have a 243 barrel in parts box i bought couple years ago but the reviews are so mixed on 243 builds. And again thanks 

i built a .243 on aero upper and lower/w 24" barrel, use it for prairie dog hunting. runs good. all the info you need to build one is right here on this forum

Probably almost a fourth of the deer I have taken have been with a .243 win bolt gun. 

the cartridge can take deer ethically out to 300 yards no problem with the energy, velocity, and flat shooting several good high bc ballistic tip bullets have. Of coarse the smaller and lighter bullets with lower sectional densities compared to .308 and many other hunting rounds means you will have to be more accurate with your shot placement. But I would never fault anyone wanting to use a .243 for whitetails