• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

.308 or .338 ?

WonderMonkey

The .338 (or 8.5mm) is a big round. I would equate it to a larger game load, like elk.

My 308 bolt rifle has been infallible in killing many a (Cali) black bear, pig and deer (CA-black tail and CO-mule).

My family has used the .338 bullet (in various designs) to take brown bears, caribou and moose in bigger North America hunts.

The shot placement argument can be made about nearly every caliber. They all kill, and none kill more dead than the other. The fact remains in hunting we don't always get that "perfect" shot. Hence the reason for greater ballistics.

Many a 30.06 (30) have killed elk.  308 will do the job.  It's all about shot placement.

Agreed!  I use a .308 now and it certainly does the job.  However if I am going to purchase an AR style hunting rifle I'd like to get one that is "the best" for me.  Some say the .338 is overkill for whitetail, great for larger game.  Others think it is fine.

The .338 (or 8.5mm) is a big round. I would equate it to a larger game load, like elk.

My 308 bolt rifle has been infallible in killing many a (Cali) black bear, pig and deer (CA-black tail and CO-mule).

My family has used the .338 bullet (in various designs) to take brown bears, caribou and moose in bigger North America hunts.

The shot placement argument can be made about nearly every caliber. They all kill, and none kill more dead than the other. The fact remains in hunting we don't always get that "perfect" shot. Hence the reason for greater ballistics.

Do you feel the .338 is "too much" for whitetail?

Do you feel the .338 is "too much" for whitetail?

If this were a bolt rifle discussion and you were considering the Win Mag or the Rem Ultra Mag (or web the Weatherby)... Then I'd say the .338 is over kill for a whitetail.

The .338 Fed (I have not shot this yet) benches just a bit hotter than the .308. If you are a trophy hunter, expecting to take that extra long shot, I'm positive the .338 will do the job for you. You can fling that heavy bullet a lot further.

The .308 really is a cross spectrum range of animals. You can down load to 130gr and pop a 45lbs coyote, or you can hot load a 180gr and blast a 350lbs bear. It's really the perfect California cartridge (IMO).

The .338 really should try to stay above the 200lbs mark. Your whitetails are a lot bigger than our scrawny coastal blacktails.

As I learn more about this topic in general I'm going to have to start paying attention to when to use what grain.  Though I've been hunting for years I've just been purchasing the same round all the time.  Nobody ever brought up the discussion.  Now that I'm trying to make more informed purchases many things that are have been right in front of me I've never given more than a passing thought to.

And that's why I like forums like this.

That's a good point. If this is going to be a dedicated large game hunting rifle and your OK loading .338 for it, ammo availability might never become an issue for you. On the other hand, if your planning to have this gun serve multiple roles, and you might ever need to get factory ammo for it in a hurry, the .338 will be harder to find, not to mention that shooting a .338 is going to be more expensive than shooting a .308, assuming your planning to put a lot of rounds through it.

I'v waisted a lot less meat with the 338, an, with a marginal shot,,,,,,it just might make the difference.

i live in sw Colorado, and have taken close to  10 elk with a 260 rem, but feel that there is a definate spot for the bigger guns.

My current builds are a 260 in a RRlar8, followed by the 338. and a 300blackout for the ar15.

I'm also very searsiousy considering necking the 6.8 to 30.and, maybe, a 6.5/223.

Respectfully

Terry

While the .338 Federal is intriguing, I've always heard this whisper telling me to do something with a semi-auto and the .358 Winchester.

First it was to convert an M1A.  That would be fun, if impractical and expensive.

Now with the LAR-8, it would seem to be a small matter to just plop on another upper in .358, though it may also be expensive.

As was already mentioned though, .308 can be had most anywhere in the Western Hemisphere...should you forget your ammo at home.

Jon

As was already mentioned though, .308 can be had most anywhere in the Western Hemisphere...should you forget your ammo at home.

It happened to me. 300 miles from home, and in the middle of nowhere. Small town local hardware store had my prescription. You won't always find what you're used to, but at least you'll find something.

It happened to me. 300 miles from home, and in the middle of nowhere. Small town local hardware store had my prescription. You won't always find what you're used to, but at least you'll find something.

I remember a story of someone heading into their hunting area one year.  A guy was flagging people down, offering them $100 for a few rounds of .375 H&H...since he forgot his ammo at home.

That would officially make that hunt a Suckfest.

Jon

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Having chose to build a .338f I'm a little biased. I chose the .338 just to not ever have to worry about what I'm targeting, if it goes up to elk its gtg. Quality ballistics and knock down power, in something only mildly "exotic" caught my attention as well. Also getting a deal on the barrel played a small role. 

Choice in barrels and manufacturer are limited in the .338f so weigh that in as well. As Armalite only makes a 22" and DPMS only does an 18".  With only one "off the shelf" rifle offering each. Other than that i didn't stumble into any other makers, but my knowledge of the numerous online locations is very limited.

In the end for me, its a hunting rifle. Its not going to the range to put 1000's of rounds though, its sighting in, and back to its case. So ammo cost for me, reloading, isnt a huge concern as maybe 100 rounds a year will go through it once its got a good load.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I would choose the .308 over the .338F for typ. deer hunting and even the occasional elk or moose hunt, ballistically the 338f isn't a big enough improvement over the 308 to justify the cost and availibity of ammo. If I were predominantly hunting north american big game at long ranges I think the 338 win mag or 338 ultra mag would be the way to go. Here's a link to compare the 338f to 308  http://www.federalpremium.com/products/compare/rifle_compare.aspx

• 1 month later...

I went after russian hogs about an month ago with my 308. 2 shots 2 kills. One was center mass (looked like a bomb went off) and the other cut the spine in half. When looking at caliber one must also consider the energy imparted by the round as well as weight retention.