• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

stuck case remover

Steve crawford

I guess most of you know about this.  I put together a stuck case remover today.  Stuck a case in my Redding body die.     I was working on a case a little at a time.  Failed to keep it lubed good each time I pulled it out of the die.  It was just about all the way in the die.  Very easy to rip the rim off a 5.56 case.    I went to the local nut and bolt supply house and told them what I needed.  seventeen dollars later I had almost everything I needed.  A 1/4-28 tap, drill bit for that size tap, 2 1/2 inch 1/4-28 hex head grade 8 bolt, 2 finder washers, and 2 flat washers.  I got home and found that a 13/16  1/2 inch drive socket was just the wright size.  Some assembly required and an hex wrench  and a box end wrench.  The case came wright out.  😁😁😁

Steve

You tried really hard. But I have never, NOT EVER, NOT been able to remove a stuck case by rotating the lower die.

Once you know you fuoooked it up;; you have to fix it.

I'm super curious about what you're doing here.

9 hours ago, Lane said:

You tried really hard. But I have never, NOT EVER, NOT been able to remove a stuck case by rotating the lower die.

Once you know you fuoooked it up;; you have to fix it.

I'm super curious about what you're doing here.

The same thing you are.  Reading and posting about things that happen to me.  The case I stuck was a 5.56 and  ripped the rim off 3/4 ths of the base of the case.  It didn't take any effort to do this.  By lower die I guess you mean the shell holder.  if the rim is missing on 3/4 ths of the case I guessed that 1/4 of the rim would not get it done either.  My mistake was to not add more lube to the case each time I pulled it out of the die.  I was trying to go in steps to resize the lower part of the case.  

8 hours ago, Steve crawford said:

My mistake was to not add more lube to the case each time I pulled it out of the die.  I was trying to go in steps to resize the lower part of the case.  

It happens! I've been reloading for (damn I hate to say this, I'm getting fukking old!) over 40 years and I've pulled the same stunt, even when I KNEW better! Don't sweat it brother!:thumbup:

50 minutes ago, 392heminut said:

It happens! I've been reloading for (damn I hate to say this, I'm getting fukking old!) over 40 years and I've pulled the same stunt, even when I KNEW better! Don't sweat it brother!:thumbup:

Yeah, somewhere in the archives is a thread about this happening to me with a 5.56.

On 4/21/2021 at 2:30 PM, Steve crawford said:

I guess most of you know about this.  I put together a stuck case remover today. 

I'v done the same thing a couple times, 2 or 3 are all that comes to mind, over all the reloading time.  One was not enough lube (my fault), and 1 or 2 more were on converted 300BLK brass from PPU 5.56 cases, with bulged bases.  I think it was 2 of them, over time, and I quit using that brass to convert.

I used 6mm x 1.0 pitch for drilling and tapping, because I have a fuk-tonne of metric tools, bolts,nuts, etc. -  and it worked like a champ.  I think I posted about that, when it happened the first time. 

Edited by 98Z5V

23 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I used 6mm x 1.0 pitch for drilling and tapping, because I have a fuk-tonne of metric tools, bolts,nuts, etc. -  

A nice thing about metric taps is to get the tap drill size just subtract the pitch from the nominal size. No need for a chart to figure out if you need a fractional, number or letter drill.

I do it the old way!  look in my gunsmith book from 1977 ! 4-48, 6-32 etc., etc., I also have sets all sorted in a tap box. That way they will match the screws in my old American firearms like a J.C. Higgins 12 ga..double barrel shotgun, okay Mr. sleepy Joe?

Edited by mrmackc