• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Where do scope mfg come up with torque values ?

I will admit never yet owning a torque tool for scope mounting screws. Recently got a Vortex Viper and it has this huge notice around the scope tube to use 18 in lbs torque value. Where do they come up with those numbers ?? Not every ring and mount uses the same exact screws either. I do have a torque tool for bicycle stuff where there are carbon fiber parts involved, it is way to aggressive at 6nm.

I ordered a  Wera 05074711001 7446

Bill

I bought a wheeler scope mount kit a long time ago off of a DVOR sale. It’s been awesome to have and the screwdriver in it works great for scopes. It comes with a lapping kit as well. I mounted the vortex on my 308 bolt and sighted it in. I haven’t touched it since. @edgecrusher took it out to the longer range...I warned him it hadn’t been adjusted in a while and apparently it was still holding pretty damn well. I think following the torque specs and taking the time lapping and setting up were worthwhile. 

10 hours ago, willbird said:

Where do they come up with those numbers ??

Usually from the size of the screw/bolt.  That's where most of the numbers come from. Small screws, light torque - but enough to work.  For most rings-to-scope, I just run 25in/lbs and go with it. 

On 5/24/2021 at 10:41 PM, 98Z5V said:

Usually from the size of the screw/bolt.  That's where most of the numbers come from. Small screws, light torque - but enough to work.  For most rings-to-scope, I just run 25in/lbs and go with it. 

No shame in saying I wish I gotten one of these Wera a long time ago :-). 18 inch lbs is pretty healthy really. I was afraid it would be a really weeny torque value :-). I have an old school beam in lb torque wrench but only ever used it to set pinion bearing pre load on GM third members. 

10 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

The Electrical code book up here has two tables with torque settings bases on size, application, type of bolt. The big gear comes with manufacture's specs, something as basic as grade 5 vs grade 8 bolt, dry or lubricated are other factors. 

I have looked up quite a bit of that stuff. Our molding press's at work have 1-1/4" socket head capscrews in some locations. Off the top of my head I remember around 1200 ft lbs torque. We have a hydraulic torque wrench we use on those. 

• 1 month later...