• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

.44 magnum semiautomatic project (MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT 2/18/2012)

MaDuce

I'm not quire sure where to put this, so I'll put it here let the mods decide.

Thought I might introduce you guys to one of my long time projects. I've been working on this for a while and it's been more then 90% complete for the last half a year, but I keep getting interrupted or needing a specific material to go forward.

I hate to admit it but investing in to the .308 upper has been the main hold-back for the last couple months. That and people borrowing needed tools for the job.

Tomorrow I am mainly building some pocket knives out of some S-7 steel I have laying around but I am going to try to make room for at least the trigger on this gun tomorrow. Most of this gun is already there. All it needs to actually function is rear sight, trigger, a replacement firing pin retainer (the last one I messed up on) an ejector and extractor. The rest is just bells and whistles.

TECHNICALLY, this gun is a modified Colt 22. Realistically, it's a scratch build. I did this because California rules prohibit the scratch building of handguns, but place no limit on how much you can modify them. So it's just a work around the law. Nothing more.

This started as an effort to fix the reliability issues with the Desert Eagle and evolved in to it's own gun. That's why it still shares allot of aesthetic similarities to the Desert Eagle. But keep in mind that; despite the looks, it has little mechanically in common with the Desert Eagle.

I invented several features for this gun. These features include but are not limited to the following:

* CONTROLLABLE automatic slide release.

* One piece ambidextrous slide-stop.

* Unique recoil buffer that softens BOTH parts of the recoil process.

* Unique hammer and sear that are mounted above the handle of the gun, reducing the handle size by as much as 1/3 inch. Handle is the same size as that on the Beretta 92 with a Hogue 1 piece grip, but it holds a modified Desert Eagle magazine!

* Component grip system. I invented it before HK came out with theirs and had shown pictures of it online, so I suspect HK may have taken the idea. None the less, the grip system HK uses is a watered down version of my original design.

* Unique combat sights designed for quick and easy hits at point blank range all the way up to 300 yards.

The original purpose of the weapon is an all-purpose self-defense pistol for the Alaskan wilderness. Specifically, it's meant to be suitable for self-defense against all wild animals in the Alaskan wilderness, be it a grizzly, wolf pack etc.

Anyway, here is a sketch of what the gun should look like when finished and the latest photo taken of it.

Though technically it's a Colt 22, I myself call it: Sova which means "Owl" in Russian. There's allot of reasons behind that name.

44magnumsemiauto1.jpg

Blacked out areas are for protecting the secrets/inventions.

sova01.jpg

Here's an older picture of it next to a Desert Eagle. Notice the considerable difference in grip size, as well as the overall more compact torso of the Sova. Despite the obviously shorter barrel length, the Sova has only 1/4 inch less runway then the Desert Eagle and no porting as it is recoil operated. That means it's probably a little bit more powerful then the Desert Eagle.

The synthetic over-mold was replaced since the following picture was taken. Though the newer molding is much stronger, there was nothing mechanically wrong with the old. I don't actually recall the reason for changing, but I think it had something to do with a combination of aesthetic preference and integral changes to the design, or basically, some need to get under the skin of the original mold.

4wde.jpg

I get the feeling that your doing this because it's your nature, your an inventor, and just as a painter has to paint, your doing this for your own satisfaction, but just as you mention about thinking that HK my have used some of your ideas with their grips, I think that perhaps you should consider keeping some of your progress under wraps at least until you've applied for patents on the innovations that your mentioning. I don't know whether money is no issue to you, but wouldn't it be nice if the profit from one really good idea, allowed you the time and resources to bring your ideas to life on a far larger scale? 

I think there are many people that have come up with great ideas but didn't get the credit or profit from them because they didn't protect them.

I'm doing it for closure. Even though I struggle allot financially, I am not very ambitious when it comes to money, which is probably why I struggle. But one of the negative perks to this is that coming up with the $ to get a patent for just one invention will take me about 3 years, and I would have very limited use of it if I got it as I am not the type of person who is going to be good at running a business.

My energy, when it comes to protecting my ideas is depleted. I'd rather just take em out and use them then keep them hidden, waiting for a financial opportunity that hasn't come in a decade of effort and probably never will. I've been screwed and screwed around with ALLOT in the past over this, so if someone DOES steal it and make a fortune, I'll have my revenge.

I'm starting to age and I've spent most of my life waiting around on incompetent or downright careless people. I'm not doing that any more.

my fiance is an attorney, and  i am volunteering her services to you if you need or want them. her specialty is criminal and real estate but she said she will help you anyway she can if you would like. just pm me and we will take care of it. by the way, i agree with jgun, and respect your wishes about your project  ( and your innovation  <thumbsup> ) but think that you are definately onto something that would be great for you and your family. offers open,  :D

• 5 weeks later...

Edgecrusher.

In February or March, I am going to TRY to register a provisional patent for the automatic slide release.

I don't expect or plan to really go very far, but I'd LIKE to be able to protect myself long enough to make and sell a few copies to at least get something back for all the time and effort I put in to it.

I'll have to check but I THINK the provisional patent is already written. I'd be grateful if your wife were to check it for errors and exploits.

If nothing else, I can reward you guys (assuming I am able to complete the provisional patent process) with a freebie or 2.

Patenting that mechanism and putting a gun like that in to production are two different ballgames. I'm still pondering whether or not I'm even going to bother pitching that gun design at the industry. As it stands, it's just a personal build. I am thinking of maybe bringing it to the attention of a few manufacturers, studying their reaction and going from there.

FWIW, a production variant of that design shouldn't have any trouble with "Ruger only" .45LC loads. It's an unusually solid design and still built to take unusually little beating. I myself have no interest in a .45LC version of the gun. I MAY make a .50AE version just because it's cheap and convenient and because I already have a 10 round mag for it but anything beyond that you'll have to bug manufacturers about, assuming they take any interest in the gun and assuming I'm willing to let them play with it.

• 3 weeks later...

New photos taken today. The rear sight can now be seen. Actual carving of the rear sight will happen at the firing range when the rest of the gun is finished.

As always, blacked out areas are for protecting secrets.

This photo appears life-size in 1027x768 screen resolution. If that seams big, compare some of your  handguns to it.

sova1q.jpg

sova4.jpg

sova3.jpg

sova2.jpg

This project was inspired by the Desert Eagle's jamming problems. I designed this gun first and foremost around reliability. If it's not as reliable as any standard 9mm or .45 then my mission has failed.

Along with the buffing system handle size was a plus I decided I wouldn't bother making a .44 Magnum semiautomatic handgun without dealing with, but even with a handle of that size, the original design was even larger then the Desert Eagle. I had a functional design 8 years ago. In the course of 3 previous attempts at building the gun (which fell through for a variety of reasons) the bulk of improvement on the design made throughout the last 8 years has been reducing the size of the gun and simplifying it's parts and function. The current design has probably less then half as many parts as the original and more simple parts layout, but actually accomplishes more, not less. The only thing I threw out is a manual safety and adjustable sights though the current sights accomplish everything the adjustable sights would have and more without being adjustable.

I don't remember if I mentioned it yet but despite the considerable difference in size from the Desert Eagle, the bullet has only 1/4 inch less runway then the Desert Eagle does. At least 1/2 inch of the Desert Eagle's barrel is the housing for the rotating bolt, which the Sova doesn't have or need. You should also be able to fire led cast and .44 Special ammo through it.

In all, this gun is meant to be as functional, reliable and easy to use as any common auto pistol.

Ambidextrous manual slide-stop/release installed and working. Still needs to have the magazine activated slide-stop function installed as well as the automatic slide release.

It's to dark to take pics today but I'll try and get you some tomorrow. I'm going to try and finish the rest of the slide-stop/release functions tomorrow.

The only major feat after that is the trigger. In fact, I THINK all there is left besides the remaining slide-stop/release functions is the trigger, firing pin retainer (firing pin is done already), ejector and extractor.

Then it's just tune-up and test fire.

Video coming soon. For right now, I want to put up a FAQ about the gun project to answer some questions I get asked allot.

FAQ.

Q. Do you intend to market this to the firearm industry?

A. The idea is on the table but I have not made a decision yet. I'll probably make a few manufacturers aware of it and see how they react before making a definite decision.

Q. Why does it look like a futuristic Desert Eagle.

A. Originally this project started as an attempt at fixing many of the Desert Eagle's known problems. It evolved in to it's own design. The 3 basic components (slide, barrel, frame) have  kept the same basic torso relations as in the Desert Eagle. The rest of the visual similarities are the result of weight and bulk reduction. In a nutshell, MRI used the most logical approach for reducing the gun's bulk as did I. The futuristic look is mostly for smoothing and ease of handling. There WAS some artistic work in cutting the fullers, but this was all done as a very bottom priority. 2 birds with 1 stone.

Q. Does this gun share any parts with other guns?

A. It uses some modified parts from other guns but nothing unchanged. Due to some of the secrets, I cannot mention everything but some of the parts I can mention are a modified Desert Eagle magazine and a modified IMI Timberwolf barrel.

Q. What are some of the unique features in this gun?

A. Point blank-300 yard fixed sighting system, easy detachable rear sight, automatic slide release with a "disable" option, ambidextrous manual slide-stop, multi-stage recoil buffering system, recoil guard mounted hammer and spring (significantly reduces handle size)

Q. Can this gun fire led cast ammo?

A. It should. It will also be test fired with cast ammo.

Q. Can this gun fire .44 Specials?

A. I don't see why not. May be a while before I test it though.

Q. Is this gun gas or recoil operated?

A. It's recoil operated.

Q. How much does it weigh?

A. Last time i checked, it was just over 3lbs. The .44 Magnum Desert Eagle MARK VII was weighed with it and came out to a few oz heavier. Final weight is not yet known. Should be similar to a .357 Magnum Desert Eagle MARK I.

Q. Will this gun have the same reliability issues as the Desert Eagle?

A. I hope not. This project was started as an answer to the Desert Eagle's reliability issues. Reliability is top priority. So far, tune-up hasn't even started and it already feeds very well.

Q. If this gun were to hit the market, how much would it cost?

A. I cannot say for sure, but if a manufacturer ever takes it up, I will press them to keep it at $1000 or less. Because of the buffer system (which significantly softens every stage of the recoil) the gun can be made with a synthetic frame which should cut the price dramatically, not to mention reduce the weight by at least a half a pound.

Q. Will you make copies in any other calibers?

A. Maybe. I have a .50AE chamber reamer, .50AE ammo and a double column 10 round magazine already, so that may be convenient. What I would really like to see the gun in is .45 Win Mag (which can be made with a 14-15 round mag for the same handle size) 10mm Auto and .460 Roland but I lack the tools to make it happen.

Q. How big is the handle?

A. Almost exactly the same size as that of a Beretta 92F with a Hogue 1 piece grip.

Q. Did you throw out any features due to time constraint and/or machine limitations?

A. Yes. The rear part of the grip was originally meant to be detachable and the magazine release was originally meant to be ambidextrous. I had to can both of them, in both cases due to machine limitations.

Q. Why has it taken so long to build?

A. A variety of reasons. First, this is the 3rd attempt at it. The first one disappeared on me during a move. The second one I canned due to changes in the law (which I later found a way around). By the time I started this incarnation I had matured allot and decided to spend far more time doing scientific tests and research. A rapid succession of crisis that had begone even before I started the 3rd incarnation has slowed progress to a crawl. But it is coming around and is almost finished now.

• 3 weeks later...

AT LONG LAST I finally got the trigger working today!!

ATM it's not working very well though. It's a very crisp trigger but the housing isn't very good and function is unreliable. I'll probably have to spend the greater part of tomorrow straightening it all out.

This was suppose to be a one day thing. Turned in to a 3 day, but it's almost over. We may still have live fire testing by this week end.