• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ann Margret a class act.

Taken from a Facebook post. 

Richard, (my husband), never really talked a lot about his time in Viet Nam, other than he had been shot by a sniper. However, he had a rather grainy, 8 x 10 black and white photo he had taken at a USO show of Ann Margret with Bob Hope in the background that was one of his treasures.

A few years ago, Ann Margaret was doing a book signing at a local bookstore. Richard wanted to see if he could get her to Sign the treasured photo so he arrived at the bookstore at 12 o'clock for the 7:30 signing.

When I got there after work, the line went all the way around the bookstore, circled the parking lot, and disappeared behind a parking garage. Before her appearance, bookstore employees announced that she would sign only her book and no memorabilia would be permitted.

Richard was disappointed, but wanted to show her the photo and let her know how much those 
shows meant to lonely GI's so far from home.. Ann Margaret came out looking as 
beautiful as ever and, as second in line, it was soon Richard's turn.

He presented the book for her signature and then took out the photo. When he did, there were many shouts from the employees that she would not sign it. Richard said, "I understand. I just wanted her to see it."

She took one look at the photo, tears welled up in her eyes and she said, "This is one of my gentlemen from Viet Nam and I most certainly will sign his photo. I know what these men did for their country and I always have time for 'my gentlemen.'' With that, she pulled Richard across the table and planted a big kiss on him. She then made quite a to-do about the bravery of the young men she met over the years, how much she admired them, and how much she appreciated them. There weren't too many dry eyes among those close enough to hear. She then posed for pictures and acted as if he were the only one there.

That night was a turning point for him. He walked a little straighter and, for the first time in years, was proud to have been a Vet. I'll never forget Ann Margaret for her graciousness and how much that small act of kindness meant to my husband.

Later at dinner, Richard was very quiet. When I asked if he'd like to talk about it, my big, strong husband broke down in tears.. ''That's the first time anyone ever thanked 
me for my time in the Army,'' he said.

I now make it a point to say 'Thank you' to every person I come across who served in our Armed Forces. Freedom does not come cheap and I am grateful for all those who have served their country.

FB_IMG_1690126476627.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

A damn good actor. Liked him in “Heat” and “Last of the Mohicans” among others. Did not know he was a Vietnam Vet

Meet Oscar Winning actor Wes Studi, A Rare Brand Of Vietnam Veteran!
You may not know the name Wes Studi, but you would probably recognize his face, and you should. Studi is a Cherokee, a Vietnam veteran and an accomplished actor. He has been acting for several decades and is well-known for his roles in movies like, “Dances With Wolves,” and “The Last of the Mohicans,” and many other roles on film and TV.
He recently received an Oscar, “Lifetime Achievement Award” for his acting career. As a 17-year-old Studi got permission from his parents to join the National Guard. That was in the early 60s. He signed up for the usual 6-year hitch at that time.
While serving he began to hear a lot of stories from returning Vietnam veterans and decided he wanted to know if he was up to that experience. With only a year to go on his original 6-year enlistment in the National Guard, Studi volunteered to go active duty and to go to Vietnam.
Studi served in Vietnam in 1967-1968. He was assigned to the 3rd Bn, 39th Infantry of the 9th Infantry Division and was stationed down in the Mekong Delta area. He arrived just in time for what was called the mini Tet.
His unit was at a place called the French Fort on one of the Mekong Delta rivers, very near the coast. During the time he was there his unit would be deployed on many missions throughout that delta area.
Like so many returning Vietnam veterans, Studi’s coming home experience was made difficult, not so much by the negative attitudes that greeted us when we came home, that was bad enough, but by something more intimate, more personal, more interior.
While in Vietnam we had grown used to living every moment of our lives aware of the imminent threat of death that hung around us like a pall in every moment, in every place. Because it was so present at all times, we grew accustomed to living with that tension. It shaped our consciousness, our “awakeness.” It made us constantly attentive to our surroundings, constantly keyed up to act at a moment’s notice.
It was that fundamental survival mechanism that became our unconscious habit, a part of what we brought home with us.
Studi remembers that coming home, it took a long time to let go of that constant awareness of potential imminent threat. We were always tense, always keyed up, never letting our guard down. It was this that often made those around us think that we were a little crazy.
In those early years after coming home from Vietnam, before Studi decided to try out an acting career, he did a lot for his tribal community. He taught the Cherokee language and the Cherokee syllabary and was involved with the Cherokee language newspaper, among other things. He is active in Native American rights efforts as well.
Vietnam Veterans are all proud of Wes Studi for his recent recognition as an Oscar winner for his lifetime of superb acting and starring roles in such great and memorable movies. We honor him for his service to the country in Vietnam as well.

IMG_1231.jpeg

The deadliest sniper of WWII was an indigenous man from Canada.

Francis Pegahmagabow

One of Canada's most decorated Indigenous soldiers, Francis Pegahmagabow was awarded the Military Medal with two bars during the First World War.

Wasauksing First Nation, Ontario

The rest of the story.

Or for those with a short attention span...

rsz_smokeyihp0846.jpg

With a reputation as a hellraiser, Ernest “Smokey” Smith had a knack for annoying his superiors—he was promoted to corporal and then demoted back to private nine times. But when it came to battle, he more than earned his reputation as one of Canada’s greatest soldiers.

In October 1944, as the Allies were pushing through northern Italy against fierce German resistance, Smith and his small platoon were sent across the flooded Savio river to secure an important beachhead. After capturing the position, they came under an intense enemy counter-attack. The Germans dispatched three Panther tanks, self-propelled artillery guns, and a horde of infantry to retake the position, pinning the Canadians down near the river. Smith didn’t waste any time—he grabbed his PIAT anti-tank bazooka and sprang into action. Under intense enemy fire, he walked to within 10 meters (33 ft) of the first Panther tank and took it out with a single shot.

Once the Germans had overcome their surprise at Smith’s audacity, they sent 10 infantrymen to get rid of him. Unfazed, Smith grabbed his Tommy gun and stood his ground, killing four of the enemy and forcing the remainder to retreat. He continued to hold his position while defending a wounded comrade, forcing additional German forces to “withdraw in disorder,” before carrying his friend to safety. His platoon was so inspired by his example that they were able to hold the Germans back, securing the beachhead.

Hilariously, the army later had to lock Smokey in an Italian post office overnight, just to make sure the “wild man” wouldn’t vanish before being flown to London to meet the King and receive the Victoria Cross. Years later, he cheerfully confirmed his crazy reputation: “Oh, yeah. I didn’t take orders. I didn’t believe in them.”

8 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

rsz_smokeyihp0846.jpg

With a reputation as a hellraiser, Ernest “Smokey” Smith had a knack for annoying his superiors—he was promoted to corporal and then demoted back to private nine times. But when it came to battle, he more than earned his reputation as one of Canada’s greatest soldiers.

In October 1944, as the Allies were pushing through northern Italy against fierce German resistance, Smith and his small platoon were sent across the flooded Savio river to secure an important beachhead. After capturing the position, they came under an intense enemy counter-attack. The Germans dispatched three Panther tanks, self-propelled artillery guns, and a horde of infantry to retake the position, pinning the Canadians down near the river. Smith didn’t waste any time—he grabbed his PIAT anti-tank bazooka and sprang into action. Under intense enemy fire, he walked to within 10 meters (33 ft) of the first Panther tank and took it out with a single shot.

Once the Germans had overcome their surprise at Smith’s audacity, they sent 10 infantrymen to get rid of him. Unfazed, Smith grabbed his Tommy gun and stood his ground, killing four of the enemy and forcing the remainder to retreat. He continued to hold his position while defending a wounded comrade, forcing additional German forces to “withdraw in disorder,” before carrying his friend to safety. His platoon was so inspired by his example that they were able to hold the Germans back, securing the beachhead.

Hilariously, the army later had to lock Smokey in an Italian post office overnight, just to make sure the “wild man” wouldn’t vanish before being flown to London to meet the King and receive the Victoria Cross. Years later, he cheerfully confirmed his crazy reputation: “Oh, yeah. I didn’t take orders. I didn’t believe in them.”

Wow amazing brother thanks for sharing, Cheers 🍻🍻🇨🇦

5 hours ago, Magwa said:

And Dats da Fact Jack!

5 hours ago, Magwa said:

Wes Studi is a Badass musician too and has or had a band  Wes is a big name to the Cherokee people and God Bless him....

13 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

rsz_smokeyihp0846.jpg

+1 on all of those! :thumbup: