Sisco

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

This is my most favorite SR-71 story, ever - and the book is out of print, damnit.  "Sled Driver" is the book.

I would love to have this as a coffe-table book, but not pay today's prices - if you can find one.

1544603351_SledDriver.thumb.jpg.f550a5f148c22bb1c2ead14856a902c5.jpg

Great Book. Some incredible photography. And I even found a signed copy. Though it was to someone else since I obviously picked it up second hand. But it was in great shape when I got it.

474808141_SledDriverSignature.thumb.jpg.c5dffd1390fe18e313318ed8d4ca81c2.jpg

On 3/18/2023 at 12:08 AM, 98Z5V said:

Since we're into the Sled Drivers, I just HAVE to add this one.   Amazing motivational speech from Brian Shul.  This is worth 70 minutes of your life, and you'll love it.

That's a great speech that he gives. I've actually listened to that a number of times over the years. I could listen to this guy read the phone book. He's authentic, well spoken and has a good sense of humor.

Damn, I didn't see any medals conferred in that article, so I had to look his name up - he was awarded the Medal Of Honor for that.  I kind of thought that's how that story would end, but it wasn't mentioned. 

22 years old.  Bad Motherfucker.  RIP Warrior.  :hail:

Found his actual Congressional Medal of Honor Citation:

https://www.cmohs.org/recipients/gordon-d-yntema

Citation

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Sgt. Yntema, U.S. Army, distinguished himself while assigned to Detachment A-431, Company D. As part of a larger force of civilian irregulars from Camp Cai Cai, he accompanied two platoons to a blocking position east of the village of Thong Binh, where they became heavily engaged in a small-arms firefight with the Viet Cong. Assuming control of the force when the Vietnamese commander was seriously wounded, he advanced his troops to within 50 meters of the enemy bunkers. After a fierce 30-minute firefight, the enemy forced Sgt. Yntema to withdraw his men to a trench in order to afford them protection and still perform their assigned blocking mission. Under cover of machine-gun fire, approximately one company of Viet Cong maneuvered into a position which pinned down the friendly platoons from three sides. A dwindling ammunition supply, coupled with a Viet Cong mortar barrage which inflicted heavy losses on the exposed friendly troops, caused many of the irregulars to withdraw. Seriously wounded and ordered to withdraw himself, Sgt. Yntema refused to leave his fallen comrades. Under withering small-arms and machine-gun fire, he carried the wounded Vietnamese commander and a mortally wounded American Special Forces adviser to a small gully 50 meters away in order to shield them from the enemy fire. Sgt. Yntema then continued to repulse the attacking Viet Cong attempting to overrun his position until, out of ammunition and surrounded, he was offered the opportunity to surrender. Refusing, Sgt. Yntema stood his ground, using his rifle as a club to fight the approximately 15 Viet Cong attempting his capture. His resistance was so fierce that the Viet Cong were forced to shoot in order to overcome him. Sgt. Yntema's personal bravery in the face of insurmountable odds and supreme self-sacrifice were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect the utmost credit upon himself, the 1st Special Forces, and the U.S. Army.

20 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Found his actual Congressional Medal of Honor Citation:

https://www.cmohs.org/recipients/gordon-d-yntema

Citation

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Sgt. Yntema, U.S. Army, distinguished himself while assigned to Detachment A-431, Company D. As part of a larger force of civilian irregulars from Camp Cai Cai, he accompanied two platoons to a blocking position east of the village of Thong Binh, where they became heavily engaged in a small-arms firefight with the Viet Cong. Assuming control of the force when the Vietnamese commander was seriously wounded, he advanced his troops to within 50 meters of the enemy bunkers. After a fierce 30-minute firefight, the enemy forced Sgt. Yntema to withdraw his men to a trench in order to afford them protection and still perform their assigned blocking mission. Under cover of machine-gun fire, approximately one company of Viet Cong maneuvered into a position which pinned down the friendly platoons from three sides. A dwindling ammunition supply, coupled with a Viet Cong mortar barrage which inflicted heavy losses on the exposed friendly troops, caused many of the irregulars to withdraw. Seriously wounded and ordered to withdraw himself, Sgt. Yntema refused to leave his fallen comrades. Under withering small-arms and machine-gun fire, he carried the wounded Vietnamese commander and a mortally wounded American Special Forces adviser to a small gully 50 meters away in order to shield them from the enemy fire. Sgt. Yntema then continued to repulse the attacking Viet Cong attempting to overrun his position until, out of ammunition and surrounded, he was offered the opportunity to surrender. Refusing, Sgt. Yntema stood his ground, using his rifle as a club to fight the approximately 15 Viet Cong attempting his capture. His resistance was so fierce that the Viet Cong were forced to shoot in order to overcome him. Sgt. Yntema's personal bravery in the face of insurmountable odds and supreme self-sacrifice were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect the utmost credit upon himself, the 1st Special Forces, and the U.S. Army.

Should be considered the prime example of Badass.

• 1 month later...

"Heeeeeeeeeeere's Johnny!

Edward Leo Peter "Ed" McMahon, Jr. (March 6, 1923 – June 23, 2009) American comedian, actor, singer, game show host and announcer. He is most famous for his work on television as Johnny Carson's sidekick, a position he held for over 30 years.

Before he died, McMahon told his son, Lex, who is a Corporal in the US Army, that he preferred to be remembered as a “Good Entertainer, but a Great Marine”. 

His son compiled a list of highlights of his father’s 23-years of service:

Eating powder eggs during Officers Candidates School – even though they were billeted on a farm with hundreds of chickens – some things in the Corps never change!
Being commissioned as a 2nd Lt.
Being made a flight instructor while still in flight school.
Earning his Naval Aviator wings on 4/4/44.
Flying the hottest fighter in WWII – the F4U-Corsair.
Getting reprimanded for conducting “training missions” over his girlfriend’s house.
Becoming a test pilot.
Being reprimanded for conducting “training missions” over his girlfriend’s house again.
Teaching carrier landings.
And yes, being reprimanded for flying “training missions” over his girlfriend’s house AGAIN.
Telling NBC he’d love to sign a big contract to be their next star– but he had just received orders to report to Korea.
Meeting Marilyn Monroe prior to deploying to Korea and having her impishly tell him: “Ed, I’m not wearing anything underneath”.
Flying 85 combat missions in Korea as an artillery spotter.
Cornering the market on food and alcohol by becoming his squadron’s Officer-in-Charge of the Mess Tent and Officer’s Club.
The 3-day long party in Tent 7 with 55-gallon drums of “truce juice” when the armistice was signed.
Participation in creating the Toys for Tots program.
Being promoted to Colonel.
Promoting his son to the rank of Corporal.
Passing a flight physical at age 70 and flying the Harrier Jump Jet.
Working with The Flying Leatherneck Historical Foundation to cement the legacy and traditions of Marine Corps Aviation.

And being Major General Lenhert’s Guest of Honor at the Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Ball in 2005 – Sir, he had tremendous respect for you and was humbled to be your guest of honor.

Corporal Lex McMahon also wrote a sad and inspiring note in concerning his father’s death:

"Dad – on behalf of a grateful nation, fiercely loyal United States Marine Corps, assembled friends, loving family, and me – a devoted son – it is the highest honor of my life, to fulfill your request to be buried as a Marine. I wish you Godspeed, as you pull chalks and embark on one last mission in your Corsair – destined for the final rally point– Valhalla – warrior heaven. I salute you!"

Lex McMahon 

IMG_1004.jpeg

10 hours ago, Sisco said:

Getting reprimanded for conducting “training missions” over his girlfriend’s house.

Being reprimanded for conducting “training missions” over his girlfriend’s house again.

And yes, being reprimanded for flying “training missions” over his girlfriend’s house AGAIN.

I WISH I could pull this off!!!   What a STUD!!!   :hail::banana:

Never knew this about him  - thanks for posting this one.  

My father worked with Wally Schirra on a project related to the Space program. He was in Minneapolis at Honeywell in regards to something having to do with it and my Dad invited him to the house for dinner. The company big wigs preempted it though with a big lavish dinner at a restaurant so I never got to meet him. To say I was a disappointed kid was an understatement.

On this day: May 3rd, 2007 - Walter Marty Schirra Jr. flew west at 84 years of age. (Captain, USN, Ret.) American naval aviator and NASA astronaut.  The only person to fly in all of America's first three space programs (Mercury, Gemini and Apollo)

Walter Marty Schirra Jr. was born on March 12th, 1923 
Schirra received his wings in 1948 and joined Fighter Squadron 71 (VF-71) at Quonset Point, Rhode Island where he flew the F8F Bearcat, F-80 Shooting Star, and the F9F Panther fighter aircraft.
Schirra was then deployed to the Mediterranean aboard the aircraft carrier USS Midway at the outbreak of the Korean War in 1950. In an effort to gain combat experience, Wally applied for an exchange program with the U.S. Air Force, and was selected to fly on the F-84 Thunderjet.

Initially deploying with the 154th Fighter-Bomber Squadron to Itazuke Air Force Base in Japan, from where he flew missions into South Korea. In his eight-month deployment, Schirra flew 90 combat missions and downed two MiG-15s.

After completing his tour in Korea, Schirra became a test pilot at Naval Ordnance Test Station China Lake, California (NOTS). At China Lake ,testing multiple aircraft types, including becoming the first pilot to fly with and fire the Sidewinder missile.

Schirra was then assigned to Miramar Naval Air Station to test the newest Navy jet fighter, the F7U Cutlass and the F3H Demon. During his deployment to Asia aboard the aircraft carrier USS Lexington, Schirra was accepted to the U.S. Naval Test Pilot School in 1958.

It was there where Schirra first met future fellow astronauts Jim Lovell and Pete Conrad. Their paths would certainly cross again in the near future. Schirra then became a test pilot at Naval Air Station Patuxent River and learned to fly the F4H Phantom to determine if its capabilities in becoming a carrier-based aircraft.
At 7:15 am on October 3, 1962, Schirra lifted off aboard his Mercury flight, named Sigma 7. After a minor trajectory deviation early in flight, Sigma 7 achieved orbit.

After six orbits, Schirra manually aligned his spacecraft over Africa and performed retrofire. Sigma 7 landed 5 miles from the recovery ship, the aircraft carrier USS Kearsarge. Once Sigma 7 was on deck, Schirra, in a most intentional action, hit the knobbed plunger inside his capsule, instantly detonating the explosive charge, which within micro seconds had sheared off the 70 bolts and propelling the hatch 25 ft away in one second. If the pin was left in place, a force of 40 lbf would have been required to detonate the bolts. 

As expected, Schirra received a cut and a sizeable bruise through his glove due to the kickback of the egress plunger. 
Wally did this to prove with the presence of his hand injuries that without any doubt, GUS GRISSOM HAD NOT INTENTIONALLY BLOWN THE HATCH ON LIBERTY BELL.

Wally Schirra was the first astronaut to go into space three times, and the only astronaut to have flown in the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo programs. In total, Schirra logged 295 hours and 15 minutes in space. After Apollo 7, he retired as a captain from the U.S. Navy as well as from NASA.

Schirra flew West on May 3rd, 2007 at 84 years old.
Walter Marty Schirra Jr. was cremated and his ashes were committed to the sea on February 11, 2008. The burial at sea ceremony was held aboard the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan.

"When a man looks across a street, sees a pretty girl, and waves at her, that's not a rendezvous, that's a passing acquaintance. When he walks across the street and nibbles on her ear, that's a rendezvous!"
Wally Schirra
Sierrahotel.net

IMG_1016.jpeg

This one isn’t military related, but I know R Squared will find it interesting.

Today, the subject is about Star Trek's “forgotten man” Gene L. Coon.

Although instrumental in developing many of TOS's iconic characters and key story lines,

Gene Coon is not as well known as creator Gene Roddenberry and many others associated with Star Trek.

Which is a pity, because while without Roddenberry there would have been no Star Trek, the Star Trek we all know and love would definitely have not existed without Gene Coon.

Born on Jan. 7, 1924, Eugene Lee Coon became a major contributor to television in the mid-1950s, working on Dragnet, Wagon Train, Maverick, and Bonanza. In the early 60s, he turned a serious drama titled “Seven Men Against the Sea,” into the hit comedy “McHale's Navy.”

It was Star Trek where Gene really shined, taking over production chores from Roddenberry from the middle of the first season to about the middle of the second. During that period, Gene created the Klingons, [Khan Noonien Singh](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khan_Noonien_Singh)(Space Seed), [Zefram Cochrane](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zefram_Cochrane)(Metamorphosis), as well as fleshing out the Prime Directive and naming the United Federation of Planets, and Starfleet Command. Among his scripts include “Devil in the Dark,” “A Piece of the Action,” and “A Taste of Armageddon.”

Gene's most famous addition to Star Trek is definitely the good-natured bickering between Mr. Spock and Dr. McCoy. Under his tenure, humor was injected into the episodes – which previous tended to be very serious morality tales. Coon worked with then neo-writer David Gerrold in helping him develop “The Trouble with Tribbles.

Those who knew and worked with him had nothing but praise for Coon's work on the series. However, Coon resigned - some say was forced out - as producer before the end of the second season. The reason given by Roddenberry is that he was unhappy with the  direction the show had taken, and wanted to return to the more serious story-lines.

This is only my opinion – I have no evidence to support my contention – but I believe this was only an excuse on Roddenberry's part. I'm certain the real reason was quite simply jealousy. As stated earlier, Roddenberry had created Star Trek – but Gene Coon had taken the show to new heights – something very popular with the cast, crew, and audience. Roddenberry no doubt sensed that the show he had created was in danger of being usurped by Coon, and decided it was time to reassert himself. But the show would not be the same without Coon.

After Star Trek was canceled following the third season, everyone went their separate ways, assuming that was it for the show. But we all know now how it became a cultural icon through the years by the love and loyalty from its many fans.

So why isn't Gene Coon isn't better known these days? Sadly, he died in July 1973 of lung cancer. This was a few years before the Star Trek conventions and other similar events got off the ground that kept the franchise alive and continued to build its popularity. As a result, Gene never received the publicity; gave the post-Star Trek lectures and interviews to help put his name out there with the rest; nor obviously did no further work on Star Trek – such as the films and new television series.

But this does not mean that Gene L. Coon has been completely forgotten. David Gerrold, Leonard Nimoy, [Herbert F. Solow](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_F._Solow) and [Robert H. Justman](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_H._Justman) have all given the highest praise to him in their writings. In his book “Star Trek Memories” William Shatner dedicated a chapter to Coon titled “The Forgotten Gene.” All acknowledge the invaluable contribution he made to the Star Trek franchise – a contribution that remains to this day.

So, as we share memories and our “best moments” let us all take a moment to also remember the invaluable service that Gene Coon made to Star Trek TOS, and – by extension – to us the fans.🤔

IMG_1017.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Just finishing up this podcast. I knew her story, I knew she had bigger balls than most of us, but I’d never heard her story in this detail. After seeing her story on one of the Smithsonian shows on the A10 I googled her alittle more to learn about her. This is a great podcast with her story in full detail 

Kim Campbell is a retired Air Force Colonel who served in the Air Force for over 24 years as a fighter pilot and senior military leader. She has flown 1,800 hours in the A-10 Warthog, including more than 100 combat missions protecting troops on the ground in both Iraq and Afghanistan. In 2003, Kim was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for Heroism after successfully recovering her battle-damaged airplane after an intense close air support mission in Baghdad.

As a senior military leader, Kim has led hundreds of Airmen both at home and abroad in deployed locations and enabled them to succeed in their missions. She has experience leading complex organizations and driving cultural change. Kim knows what it takes to be a successful leader, to inspire and empower high performance teams to achieve success. Kim is passionate about leadership and feels strongly that leaders earn trust by leading with courage and connecting with their team.